Evers' cabinet

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ever's cabinet

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 am

gargantua wrote:She was the principal at Madison Memorial when our son went there. We all thought very highly of her.

No, you are think of Carolyn Taylor not Carolyn Stanford Taylor.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 am

Paleo2 wrote:
gargantua wrote:She was the principal at Madison Memorial when our son went there. We all thought very highly of her.

Strange. The WJS article mentioned 3 other schools but not JMM.

I’m curious. When was she principal of JMM?

I must say JMM has been fortunate to have some excellent principals. I don’t know enough about the current principal, who has only been there a few months. I still have a kid at JMM. My kids have had Bruce Dahmen and Jay Afeldt previously. Both were excellent. Both of them really cared about the kids, and it showed.

I still remember the emotional graduation ceremony right after Bruce Dahmen died. They made the graduation ceremony a tribute to Bruce. His widow, Peggi, gave out the diplomas. Quite a few students, including my son, hugged her when she gave them their diploma. Truly touching.

Carolyn Stanford Taylor was never the principal at JMM. You are confusing her with Carolyn Taylor.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:18 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The late Carolyn Taylor was the former Memorial H.S. principal.

Correct, her daughter married my brother. She passed away from cancer years ago. Her husband James Taylor (not to be confused with the singer/song writer) was a professor at the UW.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm

HawkHead wrote:

Yes, my mistake. I was surprised that she had survived ovarian cancer. Turned out that she didn't.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:47 pm

gargantua wrote:
HawkHead wrote:

Yes, my mistake. I was surprised that she had survived ovarian cancer. Turned out that she didn't.

She did for a while. Our families are close. We grew up on the westside and went to JMM.

My dad went to bat with the insurance companies for Carolyn. They had said the cancer treatments had run their course and she was on her own. My dad was able to get her into an experimental treatment plan. She was able to live another 3 or 4 years.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:52 am

HawkHead wrote:
gargantua wrote:
HawkHead wrote:

She did for a while. Our families are close. We grew up on the westside and went to JMM.

My dad went to bat with the insurance companies for Carolyn. They had said the cancer treatments had run their course and she was on her own. My dad was able to get her into an experimental treatment plan. She was able to live another 3 or 4 years.

Good for your father, doing this for a woman who had served her community.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am

Can't someone from WI do this job?

https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /962849212

"Evers' transition team said Thursday that Andrea Palm is his pick to serve as secretary of the department with a $12 billion annual budget that oversees the state's Medicaid and other public benefits programs...Palm is originally from New York state. She most recently served as senior counselor to the secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under President Barack Obama from 2014 until 2017."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:11 am

She seems to be very highly qualified.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Barca for Rev Dept. So he would leave the assembly.

Tony Evers names Obama official, two Democratic legislators to cabinet
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... aa4b0.html

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

tellthetruth wrote:Evers/Barnes Continue Walker/Stepp DNR Legacy
In private, off the record and off site conversations with environmental advocacy group whistle blowers I was told in no uncertain terms that Preston Cole was the worst Wisconsin DNR Secretary pick since Cathy Stepp. In fact Mr. Cole was endorsed by Cathy Stepp and then re-appointed to the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board by highly partisan Governor Walker.
Since his re-appointment Mr. Cole continued to read, fain interest and even thank and ask questions (for that touch of legitimacy) then completely ignore, sound legitimate science presented to the Board. Time and time again he voted for corporate polluters, Walker contributors and business interests over the protection of our clean air, water and environment.
A high ranking member of the Evers/Barnes transition team told me that Cole had support from "South-East Wisconsin" and "out of state" interests. She didn't mention if the team consulted any legitimate environmental protection advocacy groups, independent environmentalists or accredited scientists in their vetting of candidates for the most powerful environmental position in the State of Wisconsin. Draw your own conclusions.
Mr. Cole should face no opposition from Republicans, who are licking their chops at this giant blunder, while environmentalists are furious. (including me, obviously)

Do you have any links you can cite about Preston?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Evers' cabinet

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Here is the lineup. 8 men and 7 women:

Administration: Joel Brennan
Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection: Brad Pfaff,
Corrections: Kevin Carr
Financial Institutions: Kathy Koltin Blumenfeld
HSS: Andrea Palm
Insurance Commissioner: Mark Afable
Natural Resources: Preston Cole