Car thefts

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Car thefts

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:56 pm

362 cars stolen in Madison so far this year. More than one per day. Why are people leaving their keys in unlocked cars?

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/wes ... m?Id=12915

"This year so far, we have had 362 cars stolen in the city. Many of these are stolen by juveniles and are later recovered, but usually the cars have been damaged or involved in accidents. Many of these kids then endager themselves and the public as they speed and drive recklessly in the stolen cars.

Each morning I see a number of cars idling and unlocked in driveways and convienence store lots. That is an open invitation for a criminal to steal your car! Yesterday alone we had several stolen in the West District. Please help us by NOT leaving your car idling and unlocked, help us PREVENT AUTO THEFT!!"

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby Beaver » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/wes ... m?Id=13107
"West District Blotter
Monday concerns
January 18, 2018 8:07 AM

Stolen autos remain a problem for us. From the Monday shift notes;

One recovered stolen auto on the south side with an arrest
One recovered stolen auto in Fitchburg that was stolen in Madison
One recovered stolen auto in Mount Horeb that was stolen in Madison
One auto stolen from the central district
The auto stolen from central was then involved in a crash on the east side where 2 people in the victim vehicle were injured and the suspect fled

This all happened in ONE day. Just a reminder, the majority of our stolen cars are unlocked, unattended and running. This is a very preventable crime. Please lock it or lose it."

Stolen BMW abandoned by teenager rolls into squad car, 4 arrested
https://www.channel3000.com/news/middle ... /687974825

ttt3
Forum Addict
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby ttt3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 pm

I'll tell you why I leave my car running with keys in the ignition and doors unlocked.

It's f-ing cold outside. I live in an apartment (no garage) and don't want to get into a freezing cold car and drive to work. Doing so is almost a safety hazard.

So I warm my car up before I drive to work. I go out with my spare key and start the bad boy up so it's relatively warm when I leave for work.

You're probably asking: "why don't you lock your car doors while the car is warming up"? Simple reason. I have a spare key, however while the car is running my vehicle (a Toyota) will not allow the key fob unlock/lock feature to work. That means I have to use the physical key to unlock the door to get in to go to work. In the winter the lock cylinder freezes up or is full of snow and this is not an option. Good chance you will break the key off or not be able to get into your (running car).

I get annoyed when people blame the people leaving the cars running, and not the people STEALING THE CARS. Give me a break. I do lock my car at night, etc but because of the above I'm not going to be held hostage by the specter of "someone might steal your car". F-it, I'm going to keep doing this no matter what the MPD says.

And yes, I'm annoyed that Toyota designed the car in such a fashion. I guess I could get a remote start installed....

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3727
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Car thefts

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

ttt3 wrote:I get annoyed when people blame the people leaving the cars running, and not the people STEALING THE CARS. Give me a break. I do lock my car at night, etc but because of the above I'm not going to be held hostage by the specter of "someone might steal your car". F-it, I'm going to keep doing this no matter what the MPD says.


For some reason that reminds me of the rape meme going around that says "When you give women tips and tricks to avoid being raped, what you're saying is 'make sure the rapist chooses someone else to be his victim' because all you're doing is making yourself a less desirable target and passing the rapist off to someone else who's current behavior makes her a better target, for whatever reasons."

Anti-rape behavior clearly implies that we cannot stop rapists, we can only direct them to different targets.

Anti theft behavior says the same thing about thieves.

And right now both those behaviors usually produce positive results for the perpetrators.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Car thefts

Postby Madsci » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I have never left my car running to warm-up without me in it or nearby ( as in cleaning the snow or ice off the windows) my entire 43 years of driving history in Wisconsin. What a bunch of ....

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15306
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:42 pm

Re: Car thefts

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Madsci wrote:I have never left my car running to warm-up without me in it or nearby ( as in cleaning the snow or ice off the windows) my entire 43 years of driving history in Wisconsin. What a bunch of ....


Agreed. In my entire 55 years of driving history in Wisconsin, I have never really even considered it let alone done it.

I don't have a garage either, and never had one.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 pm

ttt3 wrote:I get annoyed when people blame the people leaving the cars running, and not the people STEALING THE CARS. Give me a break.

Oh, come on. There's a big difference between advising basic precaution and blaming the victim.

That said, the idea that driving in a cold car is "almost a safety hazard" is pretty hyperbolic* and you do realize you could sit in the car while it warms up, just like millions of other people do every day, right?

*If you didn't see my comment in another thread, I've been driving around for a week now with all four windows rolled down because a gas can spilled in my trunk. It's obviously unpleasant but I've never for even a moment felt I was in actual danger!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11179
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Car thefts

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:04 pm

ttt3 wrote:I'll tell you why I leave my car running with keys in the ignition and doors unlocked.

It's f-ing cold outside. I live in an apartment (no garage) and don't want to get into a freezing cold car and drive to work. Doing so is almost a safety hazard.

So I warm my car up before I drive to work. I go out with my spare key and start the bad boy up so it's relatively warm when I leave for work.

You're probably asking: "why don't you lock your car doors while the car is warming up"? Simple reason. I have a spare key, however while the car is running my vehicle (a Toyota) will not allow the key fob unlock/lock feature to work. That means I have to use the physical key to unlock the door to get in to go to work. In the winter the lock cylinder freezes up or is full of snow and this is not an option. Good chance you will break the key off or not be able to get into your (running car).

I get annoyed when people blame the people leaving the cars running, and not the people STEALING THE CARS. Give me a break. I do lock my car at night, etc but because of the above I'm not going to be held hostage by the specter of "someone might steal your car". F-it, I'm going to keep doing this no matter what the MPD says.

And yes, I'm annoyed that Toyota designed the car in such a fashion. I guess I could get a remote start installed....

Oh my god it's cold outside!!! I would like to nominate the above for one of the 10 most stupid posts I've ever seen. As a preteen, I stood outside, waiting for a bus for nearly an hour, at night when the air temperature was-20 . I'd amuse myself by watching how fast my spit would freeze on the sidewalk. You know what? I think people who steal cars from people who are stupid enough to leave them unattended because "It's too cold" should GET TO KEEP THE CAR. I'm not kidding. Buy an extra pair of long undies, delicate flower

ttt3
Forum Addict
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby ttt3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 pm

gargantua wrote: I would like to nominate the above for one of the 10 most stupid posts I've ever seen. As a preteen, I stood outside, waiting for a bus for nearly an hour, at night when the air temperature was-20 . I'd amuse myself by watching how fast my spit would freeze on the sidewalk. You know what? I think people who steal cars from people who are stupid enough to leave them unattended because "It's too cold" should GET TO KEEP THE CAR. I'm not kidding. Buy an extra pair of long undies, delicate flower


Look, I said "almost a safety hazard". I realize it's a stretch and not strictly required. I can say if it's -10 outside and the same temp in the car and I'm trying to drive said vehicle being able to see my breath inside, I'm not driving at 100%. Call me a pussy or whatever... I just don't enjoy driving a freezing ass cold car. Sitting in the car while it warms up? Uh, ok... not my idea of fun, although it might put some hair on the ol' chest, I guess.

By garg's argument above, how about these scenarios?

1) Anyone should be able to take and keep your patio furniture. It's not locked up, right?
2) Anyone should be able to take and keep your mail, since (most likely) your mailbox isn't locked. You had it coming.
3) Those lawn decorations? Halloween or Christmas? Fair game. They aren't locked up, come and get 'em! You deserved it!
4) Take my kids to the park and leave the stroller outside the restrooms while I go in with them. Stroller's fair game! It's not locked up, right!
5) I'm working in the yard and leave an extension cord out overnight. Up for grabs, didn't lock it up!

Yeah, you might think this is a straw man, but where does it end?

My car has a retail value of maybe $2500 on a good day. If someone really wants to risk a felony conviction to take the fucker, good luck to 'em. I'm driving to work in a nice warm car in the meantime.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Car thefts

Postby Bland » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 pm

ttt3 wrote:I'm driving to work in a nice warm car in the meantime.

You're also wasting gas and poisoning the environment but hey, you do you.

ttt3
Forum Addict
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby ttt3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Thought I would mention that I do have a 1.5 year old son who I take to daycare every day during the week. You all are free to come over and tell the little guy to "suck it up" and sit in the freezing cold car. Especially easy for you to say if you don't have young kids.

Look, if I had a good way to lock the thing while it was warming up, I would do it. I don't and am willing to take the chance with my old jalopy. Just answering the OP's question, really. Some people have lawn mowers worth more than my car so it's not exactly a high dollar possession.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:11 am

ttt3 wrote:Sitting in the car while it warms up? Uh, ok... not my idea of fun . . .

Yes, because everyone else who does that every damn morning is doing it for the shits and giggles.
Hey, you know what else isn't fun? Having your car stolen?
It'll be a lot harder to get your kid to daycare before work without a car, doncha think?

Again, I've been driving around for a week with all my windows rolled down (and for the record, I let my car warm up for all of 12 seconds or so before I pull out of my driveway.)
I don't even have a hat, fer fuckssake!

ttt3 wrote:Call me a pussy ...

Nah. But you're definitely a wuss.

ttt3
Forum Addict
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby ttt3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Hey, you know what else isn't fun? Having your car stolen?
It'll be a lot harder to get your kid to daycare before work without a car, doncha think?


Do you or have you ever had young kids? Just curious.

I'll rent a damn car until I can buy a new one in the (IMO) unlikely event that the thing gets stolen. Next question?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 am

ttt3 wrote:Do you or have you ever had young kids?

Seriously? So shaming people who leave their cars running and unlocked gets you mad but you have no problem with people shifting the blame for their poor, wussy decisions onto their children, eh?

You're cute.

No, I don't have young kids. But I've been a young kid, and if I'd've bitched about the cold to my parents while they were driving me somewhere they'd have told me what they usually did when I whined: "Life ain't fair, kid."
Another pearl of wisdom I gleaned from them: "Bundle up, it's cold outside."

Have I mentioned I've been driving around for a week with the windows rolled down?
There's an old Yiddish folk tale called "It Could Always Be Worse". You should read it.

ttt3
Forum Addict
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Car thefts

Postby ttt3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
ttt3 wrote:Do you or have you ever had young kids?

Seriously? So shaming people who leave their cars running and unlocked gets you mad but you have no problem with people shifting the blame for their poor, wussy decisions onto their children, eh?

You're cute.

No, I don't have young kids. But I've been a young kid, and if I'd've bitched about the cold to my parents while they were driving me somewhere they'd have told me what they usually did when I whined: "Life ain't fair, kid."


A 1.5 year old kid can't even fucking talk, dude. This is a toddler. You seriously wanna call a kid that young a "wussy"? Do you have any experience with kids that age?

I don't value my old car that much. It's just a hunk of iron. "Stuff." Nothing special to make me treat it a whole lot different than a lawn mower or a even piece of patio furniture. Maybe just a difference in philosophy between me and others here.
Last edited by ttt3 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Town Vibe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests