"dancing is allowed"

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
feisty

"dancing is allowed"

Postby feisty » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 am

Last night, on my way into the Feist show at the Orpheum, no fewer than four ticket takers/security guards/promoters told me that dancing was allowed.

Hey, thanks for your permission, Monsignor. But it's not exactly a James Brown concert, dig?

About midway through the opener however, it became clear that this was merely code for "we have dramatically oversold this show, so expect a lot of people standing in the aisles." Few, if any, were actually dancing, unless by dancing you mean looking at their cell phones every 15 minutes.

I scouted the balcony between sets and saw few empty seats, but the aisles were jammed throughout the night. I love the Orph, but if that place started to burn, my guess is it would go quickly. And with all those people jamming the place, I wonder what kind of running with the bulls scene would take place upon evacuation.

tagevers
Forum Addict

Postby tagevers » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:33 am

The purpose of the informing the crowd about the General Admission/Dancing Allowed polsicy is to let those who don't wish to stand know that they should sit towards the back or up in the balcony.

(If it's someone's first time at the Orpheum, and they sit toward the front, we don't want to have to move them to another part of the theater or refund their ticket because someone is standing in front of them and he or she can't see.)

We do that with shows that have a mixed audience. For example, the Bela Fleck show in September attracted many older bluegrass patrons, but also lots of college/hippie kids who like to dance.

Some venues, like the Overture across the street, don't allow dancing if it blocks someone elses view.

Rather than not allowing dancing, we try to accomodate the different audiences who attend a show.

(We were at capacity, not over. Thanks for your concern though -- hope you enjoyed the show.)

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:06 pm

"Down in Front!"

"UP IN BACK"

Or as I said to the guy who asked me to sit down at the Gov't Mule show at the Barrymore, "It's a fucking concert, not a church service."

This debate has raged since what, early Roman times?

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:19 am

I thought this thread was going to be about those bands who like to remind the crowd that dancing is allowed.

"Hey, guys! You can dance to our songs, you know! Come up here because we're playing now. Guys?"

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:08 am

I thought this thread was going to be about overturning a certain town law that's been on the books ever since those kids died in that tragic post-dancing car wreck.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am

dancing is aloud

feisty

Postby feisty » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 am

I'll reassert my observation that, while very few empty seats were noticed, the aisles (not the area in front of the stage) were jammed well back on the main floor. At the Barrymore, the security staff works to keep the aisles clear, but that was definitely not the case on Friday night. I guess you can't clear the aisles if there are no seats left to sit in.

In other words, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:53 am

Let's see ..a pseudonymous foron who's been on the board two days makes allegations of impropriety against a well-known promoter -- whose ability to stay in busines is dependent on complying with fire codes and other regulations, and who responds directly and unequivocally, and under his own name.

Yeah, I'd say this round goes to Tag.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:58 pm

dancing is all lewd

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:03 pm

feisty wrote:I'll reassert my observation that, while very few empty seats were noticed, the aisles (not the area in front of the stage) were jammed well back on the main floor. At the Barrymore, the security staff works to keep the aisles clear, but that was definitely not the case on Friday night. I guess you can't clear the aisles if there are no seats left to sit in.

In other words, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Sorry, Judge Judy, but there were quite a few open seats in the balcony, where I sat. Did you patrol the whole theater personally, just to observe how many open seats weren't being filled with rambunctious booties?

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:58 pm

I agree with feisty. We were sitting very close to the stage and actually commented a few times on how packed the aisles were, and how dangerous that could be. (I know it sounds like I'm an old stick in the mud, but I'm not, I swear!) Not to mention the fact that many of the aisle dwellers were talking loudly, answering their cellphones, taking [prohibited] bright flash photos, and so on (that's another story entirely).
We also noticed upon leaving that it took a much longer time to exit the Orpheum this time than other times we've been- it looked as though the back exit was closed off.
Either way, Feist was amazing.

sarah

Postby sarah » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm

I went to the Ben Kweller show at the Orph and it appeared as though there were more people than seats. In reality, most of the dancing crowd wants to be right in front of the stage, leaving many of the balcony seats empty.

I work at the Wisconsin Union Theater and when people rush into the aisles and dance it looks like we have more than capacity in the house (and that's not the case). (And yes, you can dance at the Union Theater, just preferably in the aisles! :) ) They probably left the dancers in the aisles in hopes no one would complain that they couldn't sit and watch the show from their seats.

Selling ten to twenty extra tickets wouldn't be worth the fines for being over-capacity and dealing with the fire marshall.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:33 pm

Danzig is allowed.

borninagutter

Postby borninagutter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 am

she's got a stranglehold on me, she's got a strangle hold on me....stranglehold.......

maybe someone has a clue as to what i'm saying

Return to “Madison Music”