"Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Soglin will not seek, nor will he accept..."

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Cute comic. He's going to win.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 am

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 am

How will it go down this time?

February primary: Soglin 64%, Others 36%
April general: Soglin 78% Other 21% Write-Ins 1%

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 am

I think Soglin will win, but I don't think by that great a margin. I'd expect he'd be in the mid-50's in the general election. Of course a lot depends on how good his opponent is.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 pm

gargantua wrote:I think Soglin will win, but I don't think by that great a margin. I'd expect he'd be in the mid-50's in the general election. Of course a lot depends on how good his opponent is.

If he does, I hope he's taking good care of his health.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:31 pm

With the closing of the Ho Chunk Poker room, maybe he just needs the additional $ to pay gas money to get to Potowatomi.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:35 am

I will announce to the dismay of my millions of imaginary fans:

I am not running for mayor.

The main reason: Paelo2, aka Paleo Liberal, does not actually exist. Merely the nomme du internet of a rather boring Madisonian. The election process is unfairly biased against non-existent people. I hereby call for a march on the City County Building on February 29 and I expect all fictional and imaginary people to protest this grave injustice.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 am

I'm just a few years younger than Soglin, and I won't be voting for him. He's been a good mayor, largely, but everyone goes off the rails at some point. He's there, and I almost am. This city needs new leadership.

One thing that I can't stand about this town or any town that I've lived in is the entrenchment of the elites, and their elitist ideas, which are taken on as if they are The Crusades. The fact that it is a liberal elite and the elitist ideas seem to shape shift does not take away from the stultifying effect of hanging on to the same old people with the same type ideas for too long. I mean, really, what's the difference between Mayor Dave's Trolley and Mayor Paul's Public Market? Both are dumb ideas that waste money and don't appeal to very many people, or make any sense. This city has some big problems to face, and a public market is not a very good use of resources.

The other thing that is a waste of money is all of Soglin's travel. We need a mayor who actually lives in town, rather than in a hotel in some major city.

So, I hope there is a candidate out there who will actually deal with issues we have, and live, you know, in the city he or she governs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Donald wrote:I'm just a few years younger than Soglin, and I won't be voting for him. He's been a good mayor, largely, but everyone goes off the rails at some point. He's there, and I almost am. This city needs new leadership.

One thing that I can't stand about this town or any town that I've lived in is the entrenchment of the elites, and their elitist ideas, which are taken on as if they are The Crusades. The fact that it is a liberal elite and the elitist ideas seem to shape shift does not take away from the stultifying effect of hanging on to the same old people with the same type ideas for too long. I mean, really, what's the difference between Mayor Dave's Trolley and Mayor Paul's Public Market? Both are dumb ideas that waste money and don't appeal to very many people, or make any sense. This city has some big problems to face, and a public market is not a very good use of resources.

The other thing that is a waste of money is all of Soglin's travel. We need a mayor who actually lives in town, rather than in a hotel in some major city.

So, I hope there is a candidate out there who will actually deal with issues we have, and live, you know, in the city he or she governs.

I've voted for Soglin in the past, and I may do so again. That said, your observations seem pretty valid to me, particularly with the travel. I was taken aback to learn that Madison has four deputy mayors. Would they all be necessary if the Mayor didn't travel so much? Maybe, but it makes me wonder.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm

Soglin seems to often get bored and impatient with being mayor. I understand he believes he is the wisest person as far as what is best for Madison. I understand he has done a pretty good job as mayor. I get it that he knows the city government as well as anyone.

However, sometimes I feel like he jumped the shark a while back. I honestly don’t know if an old, cranky Soglin would be better than someone else.

IMO, there is probably someone in the City of Madison who would be a better mayor, or at least would be a better mayor with a few years’ experience. What I don’t know is whether such a person will run, or make it to the runoff if s/he does run.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Should Cheesewiz run again?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Should Cheesewiz run again?

I sure as hell wouldn't vote for him.
Unless he's running against Blaska, although I suppose I could always move away.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 am

gargantua wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Should Cheesewiz run again?

I sure as hell wouldn't vote for him.
Unless he's running against Blaska, although I suppose I could always move away.

That’s the thing about “would you vote for so-and-so”. Who is the opponent?

Getting back to Soggy, it depends on his opponent. If a decent candidate makes it to the runoff, maybe I’ll vote for the opponent. If someone like Blaska is in the runoff, I vote for Not Blaska. Unless it’s Blaska against Satan. Then I might consider Blaska.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”