JDS

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: JDS

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 pm

The plan that requires the least TIF dollars is the right one.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am

Expensive hole in the ground.

What's going on with the Judge Doyle Square project in downtown Madison?
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 3BEF2C94B1

"Downtown Madison's Judge Doyle Square redevelopment project is in a tight spot.

Construction on a new municipal garage is underway (note the huge hole in the ground behind the Madison Municipal Building between Doty and East Wilson streets). However, the developer said it is too expensive to construct a building on top of the underground ramp and is asking the city to fund a structural component of the project.

Project manager George Austin said that structural slab, or “podium,” is integral to keeping the public parking garage open during future construction. While a city staff team has developed options, the recommended plan is to build the $11 million podium, which would give the city control over additional parking and preserve the site for future revenue sources....

Judge Doyle Square, the two-block area in downtown Madison, encompasses the Madison Municipal Building on Block 88 and the Government East parking garage on Block 105. Judge Doyle Square is named after Judge James Doyle, the late federal judge and father of former Gov. Jim Doyle.

The 520-space parking garage was built in 1958, is reaching the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced. Government East is open for downtown parkers throughout the construction project. The area is bounded by Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard on the west, Doty Street on the north, East Wilson Street on the south and a group of buildings on the east that mainly face King Street. Blocks 88 and 105 are split by South Pinckney Street."

Pacific

Postby Pacific » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 am

SURPRISE !
Just two weeks after the Council approved $11 million of unplanned public subsidy for the developer, the city is apparently still $2 million short. Bad estimating seems to be a recurring theme.

"Changes proposed to Judge Doyle Square project"
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/changes-proposed-to-judge-doyle-square-project-others-possible-later/article_1fc9d33c-655c-566f-b024-176e0f8043b4.html

Remember, after the extravagant Bob Dunn/Exact Sciences deal fell through, this latest iteration with Beitler Real Estate Services of Chicago was sold to the Council and the public as not needing any public subsidy for the developer.

When the deal with Beitler was approved on July 5, 2016, Alder Maurice Cheeks said it was; "a great thing ... a momentous development ... that we were able to do without public spending ... without public investment into a private development."

http://media.cityofmadison.com/Mediasite/Play/c49a4f74c7984eb1b5e3c07970e2f35c1d?catalog=f6706bc9-c8ac-4d8d-83cc-5f6495e2c318

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:29 am

I feel like the victim of a bait-and-switch, frankly.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am

I said it before, and I'll say it again: this is why the blocks should have been developed as three or more separate projects not one giant one.

Separate financing, separate approvals, different developers, different timelines. This also means separate and smaller risks, including the foreseeable risk of rising construction costs and the unforeseeable risk of mistakes and unknown-unkowns.

In addition, if we wanted to set one part aside and wait a few years, the others could still proceed.

I don't think they'll ever learn not to put so many eggs in one basket, unfortunately. The thrill of hugeness and their version of fame is a major driver.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 am

Getting messy.

Judge Doyle Square developer sues City of Madison
https://www.channel3000.com/news/judge- ... /749791598

"The Madison Common Council unanimously passed a resolution last month approving an additional $11 million of public funds to complete the downtown development project...Beitler was in charge of a structural slab called "the podium." The developer alleges in the complaint that it was not consulted in the city's unilateral proposal to the finance committee, which Beitler says violates their contract with the city. The lawsuit asks the court to force the city to halt construction on the podium."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

What a mess. I hope we can find a way to divorce ourselves from Beitler.
Time to cut our losses.

Pacific

Postby Pacific » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Now Soglin wants to give another $600,000 to Beitler to settle a lawsuit that Beitler already retracted.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/mayor-paul-soglin-says-rejection-of-payment-to-developer-could/article_db7f9a77-c0d7-5a2b-b19d-eb0354f7e419.html

Hizzoner says "“Anybody who says (Beitler) doesn’t want to do this project is smoking the wrong brand of weed,”

I wonder what brand was involved here:

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm surprised that this topic hasn't gotten more traction here. Now, after twice failing to get the votes for the $600,000, they postponed a final vote until January. I suppose that allows for more arm-twisting.
Frankly, I'm sick of it. I will ask my alder to continue to vote no. Maybe we'll get lucky, and Beitler will decide that they want out. Then we can start over with a properly sized and scoped series of projects, that do NOT include a publicly-subsidized hotel. In case our city leaders haven't noticed, privately funded hotel projects have been/are going up all over town.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”