Longest threads

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11091
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Longest threads

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Donald wrote: Who, after all, wants to go review a 50-page thread to see if someone already covered a point before one tries to make that point.

You can add me to the column of people who do not understand how lots of little threads vs. one big one affects this problem. Now instead of checking in one place, you have to check 50 different places. It's the same number of posts, they're just in more locations.

Regardless, is this something people do?
Do you actually bother to check if the point you want to make right now has already been made elsewhere in the past?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: Longest threads

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Donald wrote: Who, after all, wants to go review a 50-page thread to see if someone already covered a point before one tries to make that point.

You can add me to the column of people who do not understand how lots of little threads vs. one big one affects this problem. Now instead of checking in one place, you have to check 50 different places. It's the same number of posts, they're just in more locations.

Yup.

I do sometimes check to see if someone else has made the point I want to post (or if I've already made the point), but I almost always use search for that.

Donald's got a point about the Trump-level ego and bullying in that House Hunting thread, though. And don't even get me started on the CD Listening Project, whoo boy.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3736
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Longest threads

Postby Cadfael » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Donald wrote:Who, after all, wants to go review a 50-page thread to see if someone already covered a point before one tries to make that point. Those long threads basically say "Fuck you" to everyone who doesn't spend their lifetime on the Forum.

I don't think they do. You are perhaps thinking of other forons who say "fuck you" to everyone who doesn't agree with the way they do things.

I myself don't see the difference between checking a fifty page thread to see if it contains the point I'm about to make, or searching through a week or two's worth of thread titles to check on the same thing. The thing to do is post the point, and then tell all the people who reply that we have already discussed this in this thread here, fuck you, we're discussing it some more.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Longest threads

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Or, one can simply assume that nobody ever bothers to read the threads. A certain poster is notorious for bringing up conspiracy theories, having them shot down, bringing up the same one a few pages later, having it shot down again, until people get tired of dealing with him. Then he complains that "the liberals" are scared to discuss his points.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11193
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Longest threads

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm

I followed most of them. Whenever I check in, I just hit First Unread Post and catch up with whatever I may have missed.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4832
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:35 am

Re: Longest threads

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am

So we're really complaining about long threads now? In a thread from the king of no-comment newsfeed threads..

Ducatista wrote:Donald's got a point about the Trump-level ego and bullying in that House Hunting thread,


Again, really? A little snark and humor about other people's design and decorating choices mixed in with stuff we actually like is on par with that pile-of-shit's behavior?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5551
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Longest threads

Postby jman111 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 am

narcoleptish wrote:Again, really? A little snark and humor about other people's design and decorating choices mixed in with stuff we actually like is on par with that pile-of-shit's behavior?
I think that was a little snark and humor, as well.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: Longest threads

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 pm

jman111 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Again, really? A little snark and humor about other people's design and decorating choices mixed in with stuff we actually like is on par with that pile-of-shit's behavior?

I think that was a little snark and humor, as well.

Yup. Just taking Donald's crazeballs hyperbole and stretching it even further. I LOVE the HH thread.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3117
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:53 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Longest threads

Postby Donald » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I rarely follow the long threads. I find most of it boring. I may have put in my two cents back in 2011, but the world moves forward, you know, and so do I. I find the long threads far less interesting than fflambeau's one pagers, but I'm not going to comment on most of fflambeau's posts because it seems fflambeau has an ego or money thing thing going on.

We used to have great conversations/arguments here, and some of those did stretch out a bit because there were more people on the Forum back then. Today's long threads don't interest me, and I'm sure it's not much interest to anyone new who might stop by to check the Forum out. The long threads are just the same people yammering at themselves. I don't care if other people want to bore themselves with the same garbage year after year, but I'm not interested in that. That probably is why I have cut down my posting here.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11193
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Longest threads

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Well, this post gets us 25% of the way to 100 posts on this thread.

I suppose this one didn't save the climate either.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: Longest threads

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Donald wrote:I don't care if other people want to bore themselves with the same garbage year after year...

My, but you are a charmer.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15306
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:42 pm

Re: Longest threads

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Ducatista wrote:
jman111 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Again, really? A little snark and humor about other people's design and decorating choices mixed in with stuff we actually like is on par with that pile-of-shit's behavior?

I think that was a little snark and humor, as well.

Yup. Just taking Donald's crazeballs hyperbole and stretching it even further. I LOVE the HH thread.


Thanks for clearing that up. I spent the last two days trying to figure out how anybody could hate that harmless topic.

I can be extremely literal-minded at times.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11193
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Longest threads

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Not hate the topic itself, but I could understand someone not liking it if people were making fun of features they have in their own home. I mean, somebody's got to be living in those places.
No matter what it is, somebody, somewhere, doesn't like it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5942
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 am
Location: 53703

Re: Longest threads

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Again, really?

snoqueen wrote:Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, sorry, it seemed obvious to me that I was kidding, but that's because I'm me and I knew that I was kidding.

I don't think there's anything wrong with long threads. In fact, I find Donald's "Trump-level"/"Fuck you"/"garbage" position so nonsensical that I suspect he might be trolling.

Seriously, though, you couldn't tell I'm a fan of the HH thread from how often and enthusiastically I post there?


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests