Today in voter suppression

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter suppression

Postby Madsci » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:49 am

Get a room!

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

gargantua wrote:But I'm not pretending, Roy. It's a shame that your party is so afraid of fair elections that they have to cheat. They don't believe in the American ideal. A tragic loss to us all.

There is no way to be polite about this. They are literally rigging the election process - with voter suppression, gerrymandering, and who knows what else.

Appeals to "voter integrity" are a joke. All the moreso given the the R's curious lack of concern over the Russian hacking attempts.

In a sane world the courts would hold these cheaters accountable. But they've rigged that too.

There is no reason for Dems to take a "we agree to disagree" approach. This is cheating. The Dems need to call them out on it. ( I don't think they will).

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 pm

The left is insane morons. Why I bother coming here is starting to sink in.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Roy wrote:Why I bother coming here is starting to sink in.

Just curious...... do you think this makes sense?
Just so you know..... it does not make sense.
#URDUM

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in Bland's confusion

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:27 pm

penquin wrote: ...folks like you rarely feel any qualms about the stinky shit they leave behind in their wake.
That's a rather harsh assessment considering who Bland left behind, don't you think?

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

This is a serious question. I'm not baiting, trolling, or anything.

In this WPR article, it says that 23,000 people didn't vote because of Voter I.D.

The survey was sent to 2,400 people in Dane and Milwaukee county who didn't vote. Of that, 293 responded. Of that number, 7% (or 21 people) said they didn't vote because of complications or confusion related to Voter I.D.

How does 21 people turn into 23,000?
Last edited by The One on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Here. First, give this a read and then come back for clarification.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm

The One wrote:I'm not bating

I think you probably mean "baiting"
You probably don't want anyone to get confused.

The One
Forum Addict

Postby The One » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Bland wrote:
The One wrote:I'm not bating

I think you probably mean "baiting"
You probably don't want anyone to get confused.

Thanks. Correction made....or is it? :shh:

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 pm

The One wrote:This is a serious question. I'm not baiting, trolling, or anything.

Seriously? you have no idea how sampling works?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Typical Republican response: vengeful and petty.
Republican State Treasurer Matt Adamczyk on Wednesday called on the Legislature to penalize Dane County for funding a UW-Madison study on the effects of the state’s voter ID

"How dare you question our policies by confronting us with facts!".

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in gerrymandering

Postby penquin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 am

"The new technology available to redistricters provides those in the majority with a very tempting means of discriminating against any minority, political or otherwise...the vitality of America’s political parties, and the integrity of our representational government, are at stake.”

click on this article to see who said that....it might surprise you.

I did mention earlier how both of the major parties engage in voter suppression type of shenanigans, and that is still true, but the Wisconsin GOP has taken it to a whole new level by hiring lawyers to draw the maps (using custom made computer programs) and then claiming any communication with them is "privileged". Hopefully the Supreme Court will uphold the lower court's ruling, and allow our state to have correct & proper representation in the State Assembly.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm

penquin wrote:"The new technology available to redistricters provides those in the majority with a very tempting means of discriminating against any minority, political or otherwise...the vitality of America’s political parties, and the integrity of our representational government, are at stake.”

click on this article to see who said that....it might surprise you.

I did mention earlier how both of the major parties engage in voter suppression type of shenanigans, and that is still true, but the Wisconsin GOP has taken it to a whole new level by hiring lawyers to draw the maps (using custom made computer programs) and then claiming any communication with them is "privileged". Hopefully the Supreme Court will uphold the lower court's ruling, and allow our state to have correct & proper representation in the State Assembly.

The key in this case is that they came up with a metric for measuring "unfairness", which might be enough to sway Justice Kennedy.

If they win the case on those grounds, maybe SCOTUS will come up with an objective standard for all future gerrymandering cases. That would be nice.

I'd also like to see them go after the process used by WI GOP - hiring a private law firm, keeping all the documents confidential. But I don't think that's on the table.

On the other hand, if they throw out the case altogether, 'partisanship' is going into overdrive.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 am

DCB wrote:The key in this case is that they came up with a metric for measuring "unfairness", which might be enough to sway Justice Kennedy.

Exactly. This is the best chance we have with this.

I'd also like to see them go after the process used by WI GOP - hiring a private law firm, keeping all the documents confidential.

That is what blows me away the most about this situation. How the heck can anyone find that to be an acceptable means of governing? Right-wing media would be going absolutely crazy if the roles were reversed, and the silence from the left on it continues to amaze me.

On the other hand, if they throw out the case altogether, 'partisanship' is going into overdrive.

Which will likely lead to civil war. Let's see if the Supreme Court is wise enough to help hold the country together or not..

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in voter disenfranchisement

Postby penquin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:53 pm

good news and bad news coming out of Alabama...

In May, Gov. Kay Ivey signed a law called the Definition of Moral Turpitude Act that advocates hoped would lead to large numbers of felons across the state becoming eligible to restore their right to vote. The law, which went into effect in August, created a list of "crimes of moral turpitude" - felonies that result in the automatic disenfranchisement of anyone who is convicted of one.

Before the law was passed, determinations of what crimes were considered "of moral turpitude" were made on a case-by-case basis by individual counties' boards of registrars. That approach resulted in wide disparities in who lost the vote between different counties.

The Definition of Moral Turpitude Act eliminated that slapdash system, and consequently, many felons who had previously lost the right to vote were deemed to have committed crimes minor enough that they should not result in that consequence.

But the policy requiring them to first pay off any fees, fines and restitution has resulted in a sizeable population of Alabama felons who have not committed crimes that would have resulted in them losing the franchise under the new law, yet they remain unable to restore their voting rights solely because of their financial situation.

Tari Williams, organizing director at Greater Birmingham Ministries, works with felons from across the state to try to help them restore their voting rights. She said that she has encountered "a number of people" who have only ever been convicted of crimes not considered "of moral turpitude" under the new law, but who are barred from regaining the right to vote because they have outstanding legal financial obligations.

"They are saying your rights shouldn't have been taken in the first place, but now in order to get your right to vote back you first have to pay your fees and fines off," she said.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/1 ... bamas.html

Kudos to them for pruning down the list which results in people losing their vote. And while I can understand that there may be reasonable intentions in trying to collect money owed, that part needs to be changed.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”