Live a happier life on the forum

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Live a happier life on the forum

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 pm

A while back (months ago) someone yelled at me for responding to Roy's trolling instead of just putting him on ignore. I said that I've never put anyone on "ignore" in any forum and didn't intend to begin now.

But, having said that, I did decide to just stop paying attention to posts by people who annoy me. And it worked surprisingly well. I (mostly) don't respond to the idiots now, don't care what they post here, and am better off for it.

Two other rules I'm (mostly) following now:

(1) Never for any reason post in a thread started by sspambeau;

(2) If I have time, on every visit try to post in at least one or two threads started by someone other than sspambeau.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Live a happier life on the forum

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Oh, crap. You're right.

And the ignore feature only works if you're logged in, so it's meaningless.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm

I occasionally read Roy for laughs. Mostly I just scroll past his drivel. At least FF has something relevant to say. I do sometimes click on a topic I'm not interested in because the last post was made by someone I enjoy. Just like a good bar, I avoid the obnoxious fools.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

We go through this on a periodic basis. I've never put anyone on ignore. I don't need help with ignoring someone. The periodic thing is that, after a while, everyone starts to avoid responding to any of someone's threads. The someone leaves for a few weeks, and then comes back and does the same thing.
What is the matter with you? Don't answer. Don't say "I see what you're doing here" like you're some kind of genius. Just don't respond. You know who can't resist responding? Trump. Are you smarter than Trump? Let's see.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 am

Ned Flounders wrote:(1) Never for any reason post in a thread started by sspambeau;

(2) If I have time, on every visit try to post in at least one or two threads started by someone other than sspambeau.

I try to avoid him but it's too hard. He raises some good points that I like to discuss. Trying to put everything about neo-Nazis and Charlotesville into the Nazi Punks thread by DCB is too hard. As I've said before, I don't like one big, long thread trying to cover everything about a topic. It's too hard to follow.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”