Best movies of 2018

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Best movies of 2018

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 am

According to Cap Times:

https://madison.com/ct/entertainment/mo ... 913e6.html

1. “Widows”
2. “You Were Never Really Here”
3. “Mission: Impossible - Fallout”
4. “Minding the Gap”
5. “Leave No Trace”
6. “Wildlife”
7. “First Man”
8. “Blaze”
9. “Black Panther”
10. “Private Life”

Honorable mentions: "Can You Ever Forgive Me?," "Paddington 2," "The Endless," "Roma," "First Reformed," "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best movies of 2018

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:58 am

What, no "Green Book"?

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 am

"Avengers: Infinity War" was better than "Black Panther" but both were very good. "Sorry to bother you" was also good. And I was blown away by "Spiderman Into the Spiderverse."
I know a lot of people hated it but I was haunted by "Annihilation".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 am

Another one I liked was "Bad Times at the El Royale". Another great performance by Jeff Bridges. Loved the music (mainly classic R & R). Set in the late 60's, it probably appeals more to Baby Boomers like myself.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:15 pm

"Hereditary" was a nice slow burn. "A Quiet Place" was overrated.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 am

Globe winners.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2019- ... 2019-01-06

"Best Motion Picture, Drama: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: “Green Book”

Best Director, Motion Picture: Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama: Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama: Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: Christian Bale, “Vice”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture: Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter Farrelly, “Green Book”

Best Motion Picture, Animated: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language: “Roma”

Best Original Score, Motion Picture: Justin Hurwitz, “First Man”

Best Original Song, Motion Picture: “Shallow” — “A Star Is Born”"

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

uwstudent wrote:"Hereditary" was a nice slow burn. "A Quiet Place" was overrated.

I felt like "Hereditary" was overrated too. I thought the acting and directing were great, but the story got a little over the top towards the end. Maybe it's just me... I wasn't buying it.

I feel like streaming services like Netflix and PSN have ruined me on theaters. I haven't seen a single movie this year and I only went to one movie last year. I really enjoyed "The Conjuring" on Netflix so I rented "The Conjuring 2" on PSN and was pleasantly surprised. B-horror sequels are usually awful, but it was certainly worth the few dollars I spent to rent it.

You can pretty much watch anything from your couch these days and the snacks are a lot cheaper. I finally got around to watching "Game of Thrones" and I've really been enjoying that. And I don't even have cable (television, anyway), much less HBO.

I've seen a lot of fiber optics being laid in Fitchburg. If it comes to my neighborhood I might never visit a movie theater again.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 am

My favorite comedy was "Holmes & Watson." It was absolutely hilarious! A definite must-see. It was almost as good as my favorite comedy "CHiPs" from the year before. After the amazing "Baywatch" came out in 2017, I was hoping that a second one would come out in 2018, but no such luck.
"Gotti" with John Travolta was the best drama of the year. This is honestly better than "Goodfellas." Travolta is such an amazing actor. This is his next best movie after his sci-fi thriller "Battlefield Earth."
Even though Melissa McCarthy recently put out a bomb with "Can You Ever Forgive Me?", go back and check out my favorite mystery of the year with "The Happytime Murders", which is probably may favorite movie that she's ever done.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best movies of 1977

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Return to “Movies”