Best movies of 2018

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Best movies of 2018

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 am

According to Cap Times:

https://madison.com/ct/entertainment/mo ... 913e6.html

1. “Widows”
2. “You Were Never Really Here”
3. “Mission: Impossible - Fallout”
4. “Minding the Gap”
5. “Leave No Trace”
6. “Wildlife”
7. “First Man”
8. “Blaze”
9. “Black Panther”
10. “Private Life”

Honorable mentions: "Can You Ever Forgive Me?," "Paddington 2," "The Endless," "Roma," "First Reformed," "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best movies of 2018

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:58 am

What, no "Green Book"?

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 am

"Avengers: Infinity War" was better than "Black Panther" but both were very good. "Sorry to bother you" was also good. And I was blown away by "Spiderman Into the Spiderverse."
I know a lot of people hated it but I was haunted by "Annihilation".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 am

Another one I liked was "Bad Times at the El Royale". Another great performance by Jeff Bridges. Loved the music (mainly classic R & R). Set in the late 60's, it probably appeals more to Baby Boomers like myself.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:15 pm

"Hereditary" was a nice slow burn. "A Quiet Place" was overrated.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 am

Globe winners.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2019- ... 2019-01-06

"Best Motion Picture, Drama: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: “Green Book”

Best Director, Motion Picture: Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama: Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama: Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy: Christian Bale, “Vice”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture: Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture: Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter Farrelly, “Green Book”

Best Motion Picture, Animated: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language: “Roma”

Best Original Score, Motion Picture: Justin Hurwitz, “First Man”

Best Original Song, Motion Picture: “Shallow” — “A Star Is Born”"

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

uwstudent wrote:"Hereditary" was a nice slow burn. "A Quiet Place" was overrated.

I felt like "Hereditary" was overrated too. I thought the acting and directing were great, but the story got a little over the top towards the end. Maybe it's just me... I wasn't buying it.

I feel like streaming services like Netflix and PSN have ruined me on theaters. I haven't seen a single movie this year and I only went to one movie last year. I really enjoyed "The Conjuring" on Netflix so I rented "The Conjuring 2" on PSN and was pleasantly surprised. B-horror sequels are usually awful, but it was certainly worth the few dollars I spent to rent it.

You can pretty much watch anything from your couch these days and the snacks are a lot cheaper. I finally got around to watching "Game of Thrones" and I've really been enjoying that. And I don't even have cable (television, anyway), much less HBO.

I've seen a lot of fiber optics being laid in Fitchburg. If it comes to my neighborhood I might never visit a movie theater again.

Return to “Movies”