William Goldman

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

William Goldman

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am

Wrote the screenplays for a lot of my favorite movies. A few times, wrote the book too.
Masquerade (with Michael Relph; 1965)
Harper (1966; Edgar Award) – based on the novel by Ross Macdonald
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969; Academy Award)
The Hot Rock (1972) – based on the novel by Donald E. Westlake
The Stepford Wives (1975) – based on the novel by Ira Levin
The Great Waldo Pepper (1975)
Marathon Man (1976) – based on his novel
All the President's Men (1976; Academy Award) – based on the book by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward
A Bridge Too Far (1977) – based on the book by Cornelius Ryan
Magic (1978; Edgar Award) – based on his novel
Heat (1986) – based on his novel
The Princess Bride (1987) – based on his novel
Twins (1988; uncredited)
Misery (1990) – based on the novel by Stephen King
A Few Good Men (1992; consultant) – based on the play by Aaron Sorkin

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: William Goldman

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 am

Cadfael wrote:The Princess Bride (1987) – based on his novel

He wrote a lot of other great stuff as well, but to me this is the standout among them all.

Usually I like either the movie or the book, but in this case I loved both. The novel has an interesting tone/style to it that doesn't carry over to the movie at all, but is wonderfully delightful. Don't wanna give it away for those who have yet to experience it, but it is a must-read for anyone who enjoys the film.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:26 am

I first stumbled upon The Princess Bride when I was in high school, in the early 80s. I was at the tail end of my serious fantasy / sci-fi readership days, and so it was right in my wheelhouse in terms of subject matter and sensibility. I read Heinlein's Glory Road right about the same time; I think it would be accurate to say that those two books are a very precise indicator of where my mind was at when I was 16.

When the movie came out I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I was amazed and excited that someone had made a movie out of it at all; while it apparently sold well when it came out, it was not exactly a well-known book among my contemporaries. On the other hand, I thought it was too jokey and sentimental; the book has a nice sarcastic dryness to it that helped leaven the more gooey parts.

That it became the pop cultural phenomenon that it is now was a bit of a surprise. A lot of the credit goes, I think, to Wally Shawn, Mandy Patinkin and Andre the Giant; they are a truly inspired comedy team, and much of the affection that people have towards the movie comes directly from the pleasure they derive from their interplay.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Marvell wrote:Heinlein's Glory Road

That's a movie I'd like to see. Assuming, of course, it was done right.

Return to “Movies”