Hedy Lamarr Bombshell

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Hedy Lamarr Bombshell

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am

No, she didn't grope her production assistant. She invented and patented frequency hopping, a communications technology that could've helped us in WWII had the Navy not been so skeptical of a chick invention, and did pave the way for our wireless world.

A request for all you dudes posting indignantly about the latest Handsy Dan: please read at least one of the Lamarr links below. Her story fits right in with all the other bombshells... another woman nonconsensually screwed by an absurdly gender-biased society.

The movie Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story opens this weekend. (Nowhere around here, sadly.)

This morning Marketplace aired an interview with Bombshell's director, Alexandra Dean.

Vanity Fair ran a great preview with a shitty title: How Inventive “Genius” Hedy Lamarr Became a Hollywood Tragedy. “‘Genius’”? Fuck you, VF.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hedy Lamarr Bombshell

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 am

Maybe they meant 'Hedley' and just got confused.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 am

She sued Mel over that, did you know?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am

Ducatista wrote:She sued Mel over that, did you know?

Yeah. Not exactly her finest moment. Settled out of court for a cash settlement and an apology for "almost using her name." Whatever, though. She was pretty fantastic in plenty of other ways.

Edited to add: Yeah, fuck you, Vanity Fair, ya fuckers.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ducatista wrote:She sued Mel over that, did you know?

Yeah. Not exactly her finest moment. Settled out of court for a cash settlement and an apology for "almost using her name." Whatever, though. She was pretty fantastic in plenty of other ways.

Edited to add: Yeah, fuck you, Vanity Fair, ya fuckers.

Way I remember it, they DID use her name which was why Korman kept popping his head up yelling "HEDLY!" every now and then.

And they way I sees it, they did owe her the courtesy of telling her and paying for it, they should have done that before making the movie, and deserved to be sued for using her name without permission. I don't see any "not exactly her finest moment" in there at all.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

Uh . . . because there's absolutely no law preventing you from using a famous person's name in your movie script, nor should there be.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Doesn't matter. Still should've told her, should have asked, should have paid. If she'd said no, tell her you're doing it anyway but at least you asked.

I understand we disagree, and you're probably right, and in fact you're almost certainly right, but I still weigh in on the common courtesy side. Should have told her it was coming.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Paid for what? Yeah, we aren't gonna agree on this. I honestly cannot even wrap my head around what your (or her) objection is, what you think she should have been paid for, or why. And to sue someone, shouldn't you have to be able to demonstrate some kind of harm? What possible harm could have come to Ms. Lamarr from the use of her name as part of a running gag in Saddles?

Fun fact: Hedy Lamarr was pretty awesome in myriad ways. (<---just trying to get us back on track here :) )

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:What possible harm could have come to Ms. Lamarr from the use of her name as part of a running gag in Saddles?

Her reputation was harmed?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

If Hustler got away with it's Falwell thing, I have a hard time believing that Mel Brooks' usage was not protected. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't see the logic in just giving in for a small settlement. They even joke about it in the movie: "we'll be able to sue her".

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Here's a brief article from Science News about Hedy and the new documentary which not only has a much better headline than Vanity Fair ("Actress Hedy Lamarr laid the groundwork for some of today’s wireless tech") but instead of genius being in quotes, the phrase most beautiful woman in the world is, where it belongs.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Reminds me of when Joe Thiesmann took issue with certain football coaches being called geniuses. His famous quote was "A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein".

He was mocked for that...but there is a "rest of the story" attached to it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Here's a brief article from Science News about Hedy and the new documentary which not only has a much better headline than Vanity Fair ("Actress Hedy Lamarr laid the groundwork for some of today’s wireless tech") but instead of genius being in quotes, the phrase most beautiful woman in the world is, where it belongs.

Thanks, Wags! Some predictably sour grape juice in the comments, wah-wah.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:Some predictably sour grape juice in the comments, wah-wah.

Oh fer the luvva . . .
I hadn't noticed and frankly, despite expecting Internet comments to be obnoxious, I guess I hoped for more from people who follow Science News. I mean, of course her inventions/patents never really came to fruition -- that's kinda the whole freaking point of telling her story!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm

genius was in quotes because it was a direct quote from the story . . . at least amongst the few in the know back then, it sounds like her genius status was well known by 1970 or earlier . . .

Return to “Movies”