Kevin Spacey

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Kevin Spacey

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 am

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Kevin Spacey

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:20 am

Like I said, some people are lousy at how they ask. In my experience, those are the ones who are lousy at it...

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 pm

The amount of control/power that a few people have seems to be the big factor. If you are an accountant and get harassed, there are many other jobs available. But people in movies/theater/tv are aware that there are 10,000 people that dream of having their job, yet the industry is small enough that blackballing is a real threat. The abusers are aware of that as well.

It probably doesn't help that talented people at the top level of the arts can have ridiculous behavior excused on an almost daily basis. If they are particularly egocentric, they may get to the point where yelling at the catering girl and groping the production assistant are (in their mind) equivalent.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Then there is the women who work at The Kay and Jared jewelry company. Talk about a toxic corporate culture.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm a big fan of Kevin Spacey in "American Beauty" and "Seven".

I'm also a big fan of Woody Allen's "Annie Hall", "Manhattan" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors", among other films.

Both of these men are creeps. I'm not sure how I should feel about that. Can I despise the person but still appreciate their talent? Should I analyze the personal life of Mozart before daring to appreciate his music? What about Van Gogh or Picasso? Brett Favre? Mike Tyson?

I'm not sure how, but "comedy equals tragedy plus time" seems to be creeping into the equation.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm

So should Kevin Spacey forfeit his career for making a pass at a fourteen year old?
I've had guys, rub their behinds on mine, grope me, etc. and I don't feel like making them pay with their life. Slapping them would be appropriate. (And warning all my friends!) Now if they'd beaten the shit out of me, ****.

And get this guys: Showing your weenie to a female is not a turn on, unless you're just out of the shower with your sweetie!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:43 pm

pjbogart wrote:Can I despise the person but still appreciate their talent?

You not only can, you should, at least if there's no money involved. That is, I totally understand why someone would say, "I'm never buying a ticket to see a Woody Allen movie again" but not why someone would say, "I'm never again watching the copy of Manhattan I've owned and loved for decades."

Bwis53 wrote:So should Kevin Spacey forfeit his career for making a pass at a fourteen year old?

Two things:
1) If Kevin Spacey never works again, I have no problem with that and neither should you. Dude's either a fucking gazilllionaire or he's pretty foolish, given the gazillions of dollars he's earned over the years. No reason to have any sympathy for him there.
2) Kevin Spacey never should have been given the opportunity to earn those gazillion dollars in the first place. He should have been shunned and drummed out of the industry a long time ago, after the very first time he used his fame and power to pressure someone sexually, and preferably because he'd been thrown in jail for sexual assault of an underage person.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:17 am

Bwis53 wrote:So should Kevin Spacey forfeit his career for making a pass at a fourteen year old?

He is welcome to continue to act - he just might have to act in community theater, or you know, get a real career like the rest of us schlubs. He is just going to have a harder time making wheelbarrows full of money doing it, but if he stays out of jail, he can still "have a career" and still act. If half of the accusations against him are true, he should count being a free man as a win.

He may end up in a Roman Polanski situation, although it will be more difficult to accomplish as an on-camera presence. Woody Allen never really had to pay much of a price from what I could tell. Given that the last person in this position was arguably Mel Gibson, there will also be pressure to not declare Spacey "rehabilitated" right away.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Roy Moore, Kevin Spacey, and Louis CK walk into a bar. Bill Cosby turns to the bartender and says, “I’ll handle this.”

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I don't get it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Then there is the women who work at The Kay and Jared jewelry company. Talk about a toxic corporate culture.

♬lots of koercion begins with k♪♫

Return to “Movies”