Stephen King's "IT"

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Stephen King's "IT"

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

I know that all of you brainiacs are all about the latest French film about the existential implications of your cat's latest carpet turd, but if you want some mindless entertainment about a clown that eats children, I've got just the movie for you! Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some great literature about a guy who kills his landlord, a dude who turns into a bug and an old man who's, er, and old man in the sea, but occasionally you should just let your hair down and soak in some popular lit. Killer clowns! That's the ticket!

Stephen King's "IT" is a long-winded, mindless yarn about a monster who takes the form of whatever frightens you the most. The book isn't bad, if you've got some time to kill, but condensing it into movie is just what the millenials ordered. And they got IT!

Of course, we got IT in the 1990's, and it was predictably disappointing, though Tim Curry did an excellent job of creating a calm, cool and collected clown who wants to eat your children. In 2017, Bill Skarsgard makes an excellent Pennywise the Dancing Clown too, but he's a bit tilty, perhaps too crazy to be quite as scary as his predecessor, but with almost 30 years of special effects to work with he really floats! And you'll float too!

If you hate horror movies or find them derivative and predictable, you should try IT out. And don't worry, they didn't include that bizarre sex scene between seven 12 year-olds... they just showed them all in their underwear so your perversion could pretend to be cinematic.

Bev sure doesn't look like she's 12...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stephen King's "IT"

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 am

pjbogart wrote:I know that all of you brainiacs are all about the latest French film about the existential implications of your cat's latest carpet turd,

Ha! How to win friends and influence people, peej-style.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am

Ducatista wrote:
pjbogart wrote:I know that all of you brainiacs are all about the latest French film about the existential implications of your cat's latest carpet turd,

N'est-ce pas ?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

Can't find the quote now, but I seem to recall King using the Rick James explanation as to why that disturbing gangbang scene in the sewers made it into the novel.

The book was one of those that didn't really scare me while reading it, but I do kinda get anxious anytime there is a balloon near a sewer grate. Will hafta check out this movie...thanks for suggesting it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 pm

A friend saw IT at New Vision (formerly Star) and came out to find a red balloon tied to the tree next to her car. Well done, New Vision.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Ducatista wrote:

Oh, calm down. I was just a bit surprised that no one had a thread on the only movie that's creating any buzz at the moment. You have to admit, forons can be a bit uppity and perhaps no one wanted to admit that they watched this schlocky gore-fest. I actually thought it was really good, but I have a soft spot for Stephen King books written before 1990 or so.

At any rate, for a horror flick it was extremely well-made and well-acted, I thought. I couldn't help but compare the performances between the 1990 and the 2017 versions and despite the rave reviews a lot of the original cast seemed to outshine the newbies, but I think it was more about the script than the acting talent. The 2017 movie was a better experience, but the characters were often rewritten in ways that didn't make much sense to me. Instead of being meek and sickly, Eddie Kaspbrak was a hypochondriac know-it-all. Beverly Marsh was trampy for some reason (ticket sales) and Bill Denbrough seemed more like he was begging for help than leading his army. Instead of being commanding and thoroughly evil, Pennywise seemed nutty and somewhat vulnerable.

At any rate, if you like scary movies and 80's nostalgia, treat yourself to this film. IT won't make you smarter, but IT might show you a good time.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:18 am

Ducatista wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Ha! How to win friends and influence people, peej-style.

Oh, calm down.

Huh? Not sure how I could've done a calmer, gentler poke. Em dash instead of an exclamation point after the Ha?

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

One of my favorite books as a youngster. I never saw the Tim Curry miniseries, somehow, but got out to see this. I liked it. By no means a perfect horror movie, but solid, for sure. A couple thoughts:

1. I liked that they separated the kids' and adults' story lines into two movies. It made the story feel tighter.
2. Best parts of the movie: they did a great job making almost every scene ooze a sense of dread, even when (maybe especially when) Pennywise was not on screen. Several of the human characters are just as awful villains.
3. The Pennywise parts got a little too CGI and "Boo!" scare. Which was unfortunate. The rest of the movie showed that the movie makers know how to not go the cheap scare route.

Overall, pretty solid, if you like this kind of movie. I suspect will get another starring the adults in a few years, which I'm excited for.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:43 pm

BobbyB wrote: I suspect will get another starring the adults in a few years, which I'm excited for.

Didn't we already get it in Dreamcatcher? Weren't the four principles in that book the four boys from IT? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. At any rate that movie was a goofy ride. The book was very long but the moviemakers managed to pare it down fairly well featuring Morgan Freeman and a pre-"My name is Earl" Jason Lee.

Return to “Movies”