Dunkirk (2017)

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Dunkirk (2017)

Postby john_titor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

For as much sunshine was being blown around for this movie, it was ok. Maybe I will come back to this and change my mind but then again, the second half of full metal jacket continues to blow.

I viewed it on the giant screen, but it seemed like it was letter-boxed. I am sure there was some technical reason for this, but I paid for all of the screen Mister.

The time shifting thing reminded me of when I tried to pass off a screw up as clever. Day/Night Light/Dark who knows. The time did go quickly, I never wanted to look at the clock and no romance was nice too. As far as being as intense as Saving Private Ryan? No. But it didn't fall apart at the end and did not have stupid Upham in it either. There were some bullet shots that jump-scared me.

Very much a slice of life versus the traditional arc. I had enough but wanted more, but I was ok being done. I know how it ends.

8.5/10.IMDb
93%.Rotten Tomatoes
94.Metacritic
1hr 46min

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dunkirk (2017)

Postby gargantua » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks for the review. I think I'll go see it anyway, but it's good not to have unrealistic expectations. And the hype has been extraordinary.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I think there would have been a few small changes that I would have recommended - I didn't need any more expositon on what was going on, as I have read quite a bit about it. But for people that knew nothing, I think they could have thown half a dozen more lines in for various characters that would have helped describe what was going on.

Wife had less background on the history. She liked the movie as well. I am the sort of person that rarely pays attention to music played in the background during a movie, but noticed it during this movie and thought it was a big plus.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 am

Thank goodness for WW2. So many good movies, books, and songs...even over 70 years after. Hitler truly was a misunderstood artist, right?

Return to “Movies”