Wonder Woman

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Wonder Woman

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:54 pm

I can't shake the notion that somewhere way up the administrative ladder, some fat guy with a cigar decided to let Patty Jenkins have a movie just so they could all point at it when it failed and they could get back to making R rated guy movies without all that damn girl crap.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wonder Woman

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:42 am

Why is your faith in women so slow? :(

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 am

Stuff just flies over your head like so much dust in the wind.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Roy wrote:Why is your faith in women so slow? :(

Faith has different speeds?

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:02 pm

Putting that aside, it is THE best movie of the summer.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 pm

gargantua wrote:
Roy wrote:Why is your faith in women so slow? :(

Faith has different speeds?

With Roy, it's an automatic, as a manual transmission wouldd require some thought.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 pm

The folks in Lebanon, Algeria, and Tunisia have banned the film. Jordan followed suit at first and now say it will open in July. Time will tell. Maybe Politico will have a "poll" so we won't have to wait until then to find out.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:18 pm

After one month, still in the top five. Impressive for any movie, but more so since it's the highest grossing movie ever by a female director.

One reason it's still breaking records is that it's got as many women buying tickets as men. And the over fifty demographic is much larger than normal which means people are taking their kids. That's not the way it's supposed to work for an action movie.

This SHOULD knock the whole formula on its ass and shake up the industry. We'll see.

SPOILER!
If you haven't seen it yet, don't follow this next link. It's been a month. I'm not sure what the spoiler etiquette is these days. But if you're planning on seeing it before somebody spoils, you should, like, go.

Patty Jenkins had to fight tooth and nail to get one scene into the movie. In hindsight, everyone can see it's absolutely essential. But back then it just didn't fit the envelope.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 pm

It should be available via the NetFlix DVD service for at least six months before anyone issues spoilers.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm

fennel wrote:It should be available via the NetFlix DVD service for at least six months before anyone issues spoilers.

In a perfect world, yeah. In mine, a month is about the time it takes before you start hearing plot points at the bar or on the bus. Or at your local neighborhood festival.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Gotta say, unless it's an actual whodunit, I don't understand why people get so annoyed about spoilers. I mean, I've yet to see Wonder Woman but I'm fairly confident I already understand what the story beats will be, given that I've read/seen countless superhero stories in my life. And as someone who routinely watches movies two, three, four, and twelve times, the notion that everything must come as a complete surprise really makes no sense to me. Stories are good when they have engaging characters and/or interesting plots. If they rely solely on twists, the knowledge of which would ruin their ability to entertain, they're probably not very good to begin with. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, I just don't see what the big deal is, especially if we're talking about a character who's been around since 1941.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 pm

2nd best movie of the year: Atomic Blonde. :P

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Gotta say, unless it's an actual whodunit, I don't understand why people get so annoyed about spoilers.
Just read this and couldn't get beyond the first sentence?

Really??

Have you never chanced upon an unknown book that amazed you? Haven't you ever been awed after having seen a film that you knew nothing about, apart from it's being recommended by a trusted friend, say?

I really think you should know nothing about a film beforehand if you want to fully appreciate it. Not genre, language, country of origin ... nada. Just sit your ass down and watch.

That's not to say that you can't enjoy a film while having some prior knowledge, but it just won't be the ideal experience if it's a really good film.

Bit of its not so good, whatever.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 pm

fennel wrote:That's not to say that you can't enjoy a film while having some prior knowledge, but it just won't be the ideal experience if it's a really good film.

It won't be your ideal experience.

Some people care a lot, some a little, and some not a whit. They're no better or worse at movie appreciation than you are, just different. (likelihood you'll entertain that possibility: I'm gonna say... 15%?)

I fall into the Wags camp. If a film hinges on a big reveal, like Fight Club or The Usual Suspects (belated spoiler alert: those two films hinge on a big reveal), I'd prefer not know about it ahead of time. But it doesn't ruin things if I do. In fact, I've watched both those movies multiple times and I still enjoy the shit out of them. "Please return your seatbacks..." is damned near as electric as it was the first time. Maybe that means I take the opposite view as you: a great movie can easily withstand a spoiler, but a mediocre one loses any point it may've had.

Anyway, if there's not a Sixth Sense-level gotcha (uh, another belated spoiler alert: Sixth Sense ends with a gotcha), then I don't care.

Usual Suspects sidebar: that's the earliest I've ever sussed out a twist, and I was quite proud of myself.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Gotta say, unless it's an actual whodunit, I don't understand why people get so annoyed about spoilers. I mean, I've yet to see Wonder Woman but I'm fairly confident I already understand what the story beats will be, given that I've read/seen countless superhero stories in my life. And as someone who routinely watches movies two, three, four, and twelve times, the notion that everything must come as a complete surprise really makes no sense to me. Stories are good when they have engaging characters and/or interesting plots. If they rely solely on twists, the knowledge of which would ruin their ability to entertain, they're probably not very good to begin with. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, I just don't see what the big deal is, especially if we're talking about a character who's been around since 1941.

There's one scene in this one that I'm glad I didn't know was coming. Several more that would have been less effective or not as funny if I'd heard about them, but one scene in particular makes me glad I saw it before everybody started talking about it.

Return to “Movies”