Stop Making Sense

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Stop Making Sense

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Got the Blu-ray of "Stop Making Sense" for Christmas and watched it recently. Hadn't seen it in years. My god what a good movie, and the disc looks and sounds great. Talking Heads probably made one or two more albums than they should have, but this is the band at its peak. New Wave didn't get better. Whoever thought to hire Ednah Holt, Lynn Mabry, Steve Scales, Alex Weir and Bernie Worrell was very wise. For me the one slight bummer was the Tom Tom Club interlude. "Genius of Love" is a forever kind of song, but Chris Frantz's shouting reminds me of the shouting guy in the Sugarcubes, and I don't like being reminded.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stop Making Sense

Postby david cohen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Funny story about SMS. A buddy of mine was a courier who was given some preliminary mixes of SMS to deliver to the mastering house. He made a pit stop at his home and copied them to a reel to reel recorder. Drastically different than the final product:)

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:01 pm

The mix definitely sounds fussed over.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:14 pm

I remember watching it on VHS about 30 or so years ago.

I have a friend who really doesn't like the Talking Heads, but loves good movies. She recommended the movie to me based on the cinematography. She thought it was an incredible concert movie, even if she didn't care for the band.

I did like the band, which made the movie even better.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:51 pm

In high school I saw it when it came out, at the Fine Arts in Chicago. That was glorious. Then I watched it on VHS many, many, many times.

Return to “Movies”