trying to buy film fest tickets

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

trying to buy film fest tickets

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Well, I just spent 2 hours reading through all the movies, making my selections and using their clunky website to try and patronize our local film fest, but to no avail. My first try froze up after filling out the billing info and wouldn't take me to the next screen before my session timed out. The second one froze on my last pick.

Guess I'm not going.

Anyone else have trouble like this? The vendors fucking site makes you scroll through the entire slow-loading list for every pick, and if I even left the tab to go look at my cart it would send me back to the start. And you're on a timed session for this bullshit.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: trying to buy film fest tickets

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am

The Film Fest has not been able to string two good years together with its ticketing vendors; bad online box office experiences are par for the course. That said, I didn't hear of any timeouts or freezes during the Saturday mad rush when sales opened. For what it's worth, the Fest is pretty responsive to complaints about the ticketing site so I'd send them a note.

There's always the physical box office:

Union South Ticket Booth | 1308 W. Dayton Street, Madison
March 13 - March 30 (Monday - Saturday)
12:00 - 6:00 pm

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 am

Huh. I'd completely forgotten about Film Fest, which is saying a lot. For years I was a WFF fanatic... but my ardor cooled once it became A Few Downtown Films and a Bunch of Movies at Sundance.

For all the insanely stressful ticket-buying hiccups over the years, I never failed to get my lineup. Worst year was, I think, the 2nd year of online ordering. After a glitchy, panicky morning I gave up and RAN down to Memorial Union, where the line was so long and so stationary I eventually gave up and ran over to Bob's Copy Shop to fax (!) my order.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks Book. My post was a bit crybaby I know, but that site is just annoying.

You go through the whole schedule adding things to your "shopping list" thinking that that is like a traditional online cart, only to get to the end and find out that's just your reminder list. I already had a fucking paper list in front of me from reading the insert! Now you go to the vendors site and create your official buy list, finding out then that some of your selections are sold out, using their ridiculous slow scroll list that goes in chronological order that starts over after every pick or, amazingly, even if you leave the tab and come back.

I had four movies and was close to timing out both times (before the freeze-ups).

Sheeesh, Sunday nights are supposed to be relaxing.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 am

I also found the site very confusing and non-user friendly.

How is it possible that you can offer a gazillion movies w/o a search option?

I wanted to order tickets on opening day. I thought I was being really clever by picking out all movies before the box office opened. Nope!

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 am

Yes. This was my first time attempting to get tickets to WFF, ever, and found the online experience exactly as frustrating as you did.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:01 pm

I bought my tickets last Saturday at Union South. Given how late I waited I'm a little surprised that I got so much of what I wanted, and what I couldn't get then I either switched (Shorter and Sweeter to The Front Page) or will possibly try rush (The Cinema Travelers). I suppose my general preference for the Barrymore helped, though I did finally crack and bought a ticket for a Sundance show (Killing Ground) and may see if I can get rush tickets to King of Jazz as long as I'm out there.

Anyone looking forward to anything in particular, now that the pain and agony of online ticket buying has been successfully overcome?

Return to “Movies”