War movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

War movies

Postby Beaver » Tue May 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Did you watch war movies Memorial Day weekend like a good American? Here were the ones I hunkered down and caught:

-Battle of Bulge, 1965. Henry Fonda and Telly Savalas. Lots of good tank fights. Several tanks get blown up, plus there is a plane crash.

-Enemy at the Gates, 2001. Jude Law and Ed Harris. Boats get dive bombed. Mostly sniper battles, so lots of soldiers get shot in the head.

-Where Eagles Dare, 1968. Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. Clint and his girlfriend exchange machine gun fire with over 50 Nazi's during the movie, killing all of them while keeping their great hair intact. I didn't know Nazis were such bad shots and so easy to kill.

Bridge on the River Kwai, 1957. William Holden and Alec Guinness. I only caught the end of this one so only saw a few guys get killed and a train crash on a bridge and fall into the river.

How is that for a fun movie weekend? Not much dialogue but lots of good action.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: War movies

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Catch 22 !

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Platoon!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Does Independence Day count?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Sergeant York.
"I always wet my sights when I'm fixin' to do some [licks thumb] shootin'."

dooley
Forum Addict

Postby dooley » Tue May 31, 2016 4:27 pm

Nation's Pride.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Glory.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 31, 2016 6:31 pm

All Quite on the Western Front

Johnny Got His Gun

The Red Badge of Courage

Dr. Strangelove

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 pm

Run Silent, Run Deep.

McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat May 26, 2018 2:37 pm

It's that time of year again. So far this week I have seen Dunkirk, Mine, and Guns of Navarone. Lots of blood and action. Three more days to go.

ali.rafami

Postby ali.rafami » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:28 am

last week i saw Hacksaw Ridge and This movie was by far the best picture of the year and a great comeback for Mel Gibson. It didn't win best picture because of the politicization of the Oscars. It reminds me of how "Saving Private Ryan" lost to a ho-hum movie "Shakespeare in Love." People still watch SPR but who ever talks about the other movie. So I predict that Hacksaw Ridge will become a classic while the other movies is well forgotten. Hacksaw Ridge, on the other hand, is a story that is so unbelievable because it stretches all credibility but hits us in the face because it actually happened. One of those "no one would believe it if they made a movie" but it actually happened. The courage of that man going alone, unarmed, except for his faith in God, directly into the mouth of hell. I am not a Christian but the devotional aspect of this movie was very inspiring. I would recommend anyone to see this movie and forget the other movie.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 am

ali.rafami wrote:last week i saw Hacksaw Ridge and This movie was by far the best picture of the year and a great comeback for Mel Gibson.

Hope it was better than "Patriot" with Mel Gibson, which was a straight GARBAGE war movie in every way.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 pm

The Big Red One. Which I had the good fortune to see at the Orpheum during the Wisconsin Film Festival a number of years ago.

I just finished reading Sam Fuller's autobiography, A Third Face. If anything, it made me appreciate this film even more. Lee Marvin gives a career-defining performance as the Sergeant, and Mark Hamill is as good in this as he's been as anything other than The Joker.

The death camp sequence alone makes it one of the greatest war movies of all time.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 pm

The Mouse that Roared

M*A*S*H:

Hotlips O'Houlihan: [to Father Mulcahy, referring to Hawkeye] I wonder how a degenerated person like that could have reached a position of responsibility in the Army Medical Corps!

Father Mulcahy (Dago Red): [looks up from his Bible] He was drafted.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:37 am

Marvell wrote:The Big Red One. Which I had the good fortune to see at the Orpheum during the Wisconsin Film Festival a number of years ago.

One of my all-time favorites as well. Was the one you saw at the film-fest the "Reconstruction" release they did around 2004 or the original 1980 version? I have yet to see the newer one and am curious as to how it compares to the original.

Return to “Movies”