The Dark Tower movie

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

The Dark Tower movie

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 am

I'm following the Dark Tower series facebook page. It has recently been announced that Idris Elba is front runner, possibly already hired, as the lead character Roland Deschain, The Gunslinger.

In the Stephen King story, Roland is white.

Good lord, the anger. Looks to me like half the posters are pissed as hell, many saying they will never watch it.

I understand about frustration when the casting isn't what you want. When we say "I want this book to be a movie" what we mean is "I want this to be a massive undertaking that leaves out no details, shot at the perfect locations with the perfect casting of my own choosing!"

So when we get someone we think is wrong for the part, we get mad. But wow. There are actually some people out there who are otherwise friendly and nice, who want Idris to get injured so they'll have to recast.

There's a few story issues they'll have to work around, that deal directly with race. One of the other main characters is black and there's a long session of racial discord between her and Roland that will have to be dealt with, but damn. This is sad to see.

Edit: The admin at that page has removed that particular post and it has been replaced with a couple others saying more or less "Wow there's a lot of racists and angry mean people out there" posts.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Dark Tower movie

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Wasn't Elba floated as a possible James Bond with similar results? Perhaps it was a gag.

I love a good Stephen King yarn moreso than most people, I suspect. I don't read his books so much now as I did when I was a kid, but occasionally my mother will give me one and I'll read it and usually enjoy it, though never as much as books like The Stand or The Talisman which I read in my teens.

And I've tried really hard to enjoy The Dark Tower series, attempting to respect Stephen King's opinion that they are his most proud achievement, but I just can't seem to finish them. I petered out during The Wolves of the Calla and I've tried to restart it several times, having no idea what I read six months ago, but I just can't seem to complete the slog.

I'm not sure if I find them boring or I'm just not making enough sense of them. It seems like I can only enjoy Stephen King's dimestore, pulp fiction narratives. Once he tries to get complicated and philosophical I just lose interest.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 pm

I haven't read the Dark Tower books, but I have read "The Passage" books.

People would rightly be over the top pissed off if the Peter and Theo Jaxon roles were offered to white actors for the movie(s).

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:01 pm

It now appears the movie really is a go. Release date Febuary 2017, Elba as Roland, Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. It also appears that this ain't gonna follow the book as much as everyone wants. Abbey Lee plays Tirana, a minor character from the sixth or seventh book. So minor that most readers went "Who?" and had to go to the interwebs to find out who she was. So, they're taking some license.

It also looks like they're going to go through with the plan to make it a movie + TV series franchise.

It's a given that I'll go see the first movie on the big screen. I really liked the books and I might be okay with them playing a little loose with the original if it makes good cinema. Don't know if I'll do that for the second one or just wait for netflix.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:09 pm

I like this series and never figured there would be a movie. Now it appears there will be at least one movie and the TV series as well.

But it also appears the February opening was too ambitious and they've pushed it back to summer because the post production process is taking too long and the budget's too short.

But it's still happening. I'm pleased. I think Idris Elba will be a good Roland. Roland's most prominent traits are emotional isolation, self-doubt and agonizing over some decisions while making others instantly, and Elba's performance in the Luther series highlights his skill at those.

They've gotten around the change of Roland's race by making use of how King ended the series, but I'm reluctant to talk about that since it's a major spoiler for those who still plan to finish the series before the movie comes out.:-)

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 pm

pjbogart wrote: I petered out during The Wolves of the Calla and I've tried to restart it several times, having no idea what I read six months ago, but I just can't seem to complete the slog.

You petered out on a book that has an eight foot tall robot, horseback riding wolves and people who fight them using razor sharp Frisbees? What more do you want in a yarn. I've read it twice. It doesn't even need the surrounding books. It's a hoot.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu May 11, 2017 11:12 am

The trailer is underwhelming to say the least. Aside from the Gunslinger's creed there is nothing that really feels "Dark Tower" to me. It looks like any number of other generic action movies. I won't even get into how much it already differs from the books.

I've read in a few places that this is sort of a sequel to the books. WTF? ---POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD---Ka is a wheel. That's the point. Sure, book Roland grabbed the Horn of Eld this time around which could make this time different for Roland. Maybe he finally is able to find redemption.

That said, the movie Roland is black, which, to me, indicates that it's not the same Roland that we left in Dark Tower VII. In my opinion, that shoots down the "this is a kind of sequel to the books" idea.

The only way that I can make sense of this is by thinking that, "there are other worlds than these", and that this is just another level of the Tower in which Roland is black, Jake enters Mid World in a different way, Eddie, Susannah and Oy may not exist, and the Man in Black makes awkward commercials for Lincoln. More of a spin off than a sequel or retelling of the books. If that's the case it seems cheesy to me, much in the same way that The Wind Through the Keyhole was barely a Dark Tower story.

I was excited when it was rumored that JJ Abrams was going to direct the film/s. I think that he could have done an excellent job and stayed true to the books

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 am

I didn't bother going to see it but it looks like the reviews are in - one big steaming mess of a pile.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am

I liked it. As a movie it was pretty good.

As a depiction of the Dark Tower series, it was an okay generic cowboy slash sci fi movie. With a PG-13 rating.

Even King admits going for PG was a big mistake. He doesn't write PG-13 books. Word is that the TV series is still a go but will be a complete reboot.

BobbyB
Forum Addict

Postby BobbyB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I saw it, I was bummed by it. I get that the story is way too big to put in a movie, fine. But what was left just felt so flat. It somehow found a way to feel typical. Bummer.

pjbogart wrote:And I've tried really hard to enjoy The Dark Tower series, attempting to respect Stephen King's opinion that they are his most proud achievement, but I just can't seem to finish them. I petered out during The Wolves of the Calla and I've tried to restart it several times, having no idea what I read six months ago, but I just can't seem to complete the slog.

To be fair, for as good as the first 4-5 books are, the last 2 or 3 take a real dive in quality. My guess is that it's a confluence of two things: 1. He really didn't know how to end the story and 2. he wanted to hurry up and finish after he almost died. Both of those are completely understandable, but it doesn't make the the last third of the series any better.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm

I didn't see the last two as a dive in quality as much as a very different writing style. My take is that after the accident he was a different person in more ways than one, and it showed up in his writing.

I think it was during the last four books that someone pointed out to him that he'd basically been writing stories about the same universe with the same backstory for most of his life without realizing it. Once he did realize it he consciously tried to bring more of his novels into the mix and that changed things too.

I started the series sometime around 1990 without realizing it wasn't done. I swore I'd never start another unfinished series again. Another promise I couldn't keep.

I'd spent so many years waiting for that damn fifth book, and then wondering if he was serious about retiring, that it never occurred to me to not finish reading it all. But during the last three or four I was also noting all the changes in his writing style. Putting himself into the books, in such a harsh and unforgiving light, felt like a catharsis. A healing tool.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 am

I'm on my third reread of the series, I have Song of Susannah ant The Dark Tower left. I've enjoyed the series every time through. The tale has huge potential to be a fantastic movie series, which makes the crap that was released all the more disappointing.

On a side note, my rankings of the books shift slightly with each read. As of now (and this could change again after I've reread the last two books) my rankings are

1. Wolves of the Calla
2. The Wastelands
3. The Drawing of the Three
4. Wizard and Glass
5. The Gunslinger
6. The Dark Tower
7. Song of Susannah
8. The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Wind Through the Keyhole is much better than the last place finish would indicate, I just don't see it as an essential part of the overall story. My first read through the series was done without reading TWTTK and I don't feel like I was missing anything.

Also, completists should read the short story The Little Sisters of Eluria while reading the series.

Return to “Movies”