Netflix and Amazon Prime Finds

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Netflix and Amazon Prime Finds

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Suburra, Netflix

Italian gangsters and politicians have a plan to create the new Las Vegas.

Hilarity ensues. Just kidding, it's not a comedy.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:41 am

BONE TOMAHAWK. 2015. Amazon Prime.

Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, David Arquette, and Richard Jenkins all somewhat mysteriously lent their talents to this indie drama/horror, sort of THE SEARCHERS meets THE HILLS HAVE EYES.

Excellent performances, smart dialogue, beautiful scenery, ultra-violent troglodyte cannibals. Good stuff if you don't mind slower pacing and character development.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:21 pm

In an odd confluence we watched UNCLE JOHN (2015, Netflix) shot in Lodi. Very slow independent character drama that centers around a dead guy and the community's relationship with him. Wisconsin killers. Good shots from pickups of Wisco farm life.

Today it's MAKING A MURDERER (Netflix, 2015) more Wisconsin small town community drama with many ties to Madison. Non-fiction. A thousand compelling reels of the puzzle of our human condition. No spoilers, please!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:23 am

I wrote about "Uncle John" in Isthmus. I would like it a lot more if it were half an hour shorter.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:56 am

Kenneth, I read and agree with your review. I wish I could say the leisurely pacing added to the payoff, but that's not quite how it worked.

Great ending, though.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am

It's not the first Wisconsin movie to suffer from a condition I just named, Public Enemiesitis.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 pm

A LONELY PLACE TO DIE (2011)- This one's been in my cue for awhile and I just kept skipping over it but I'm glad I finally watched it. I won't spoil the plot because it's actually really entertaining to watch it unfold, but it starts out with a group of rockclimbers coming across a little girl buried alive in remote area of Scotland. The writer/director plays with your expectations a lot and while I thought sometimes the script seemed a bit rough around the edges, the cinematography was spot on, especially in the wilderness scenes. A good yarn with lots of twists and turns.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Finally watched Uncle John. It was also cued by NETFLIX's suggestion, but you guys pushed me into finally watching it. I think the slow pacing was kind of the charm of the movie because it's about every day life that just happens to include a murder. If I had one criticism for the film it was the bizarre relationship between Kate and Ben and perhaps if they had tightened that up a bit they could have shaved some time off the film. I'm sorry, but any woman that sends that many mixed signals should be avoided at all costs.

I spent the entire movie trying to figure out what movie I knew Uncle John from but I never succeeded. Looked it up on IMDB to see what movies I might have seen him in and sure enough, I own one of them. He was the father in "Some Kind of Wonderful".

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed May 18, 2016 9:45 am

We enjoyed a double feature of THEY LOOK LIKE PEOPLE, which I won't say anything at all about other than it is very short (75 minutes) and totally absorbing; and HOUSE AT THE END OF TIME from Venezuela, a well- constructed psychological thriller with supernatural elements that takes some strange turns. Both are best knowing nothing going in, especially PEOPLE. Netflix.

Snake

Postby Snake » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:15 am

I have recently finished watching Black Mirror series on Netflix and can definitely recommend it. Interesting point is that the third season was fully financed by Netflix. I usually don’t watch series because if too good turns out time consuming. But this one is not so annoying: only 12 series lasting around 1 hr each and not connected to the previous (each has a different plot and develops a certain idea). Sometimes while watching it I felt that future is already here... :think:

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 am

Silenced, our war on free speech

This is on Amazon prime. Courtesy trigger warning for most forons.

Eian Mcneely

Postby Eian Mcneely » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 am

Black Mirror series is looking solid.....

Return to “Movies”