Netflix and Amazon Prime Finds

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Netflix and Amazon Prime Finds

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Streaming video is changing everything about the way movies and television are made. Share your unexpected delights, oldies-but-goodies, and obscure indie interests here as the landscape shifts to allow microbudget mumblecore, series made specially for streaming services, and everything between to be seen by the masses.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Netflix and Amazon Prime Finds

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:19 pm

I'll kick this off with three low-budget films that all appear to be horror, but turn out to be something else indeed.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:20 pm

THE GUEST [Netflix]
From the team who made the entertaining home invasion inversion YOU'RE NEXT, this one just hit the streams. If you liked ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, THE TERMINATOR, and CABIN IN THE WOODS, you’ll dig THE GUEST, starring Dan Stevens of Downton Abbey. It’s a ridiculously fun ’80s genre homage with a killer soundtrack (Love and Rockets, Front 242, Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, Clan of Xymox) that keeps taking sneaky little left turns until you aren’t sure what kind of movie you are watching anymore -- and that’s a good thing. 2014.
Last edited by christopher_robin on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 pm

CREEP [Netflix]
An underfunded photographer answers an ad to shoot some footage for a guy who is dying of cancer and wants to record some memories for his unborn son. I yawned and starting looking for the remote -- the found-footage genre has little to offer these days -- and then I got sucked into a funny, strange, unsettling psychodrama that isn't really a horror movie at all. Or is it? This one kicks you in the teeth by playing with your expectations ("Expecting jump scares? Here's a jump OH CRAP wait, what?") in a hilarious way. Don't get too excited, this movie was made for $700. But wait until you see what they do with the money. 2014.
Last edited by christopher_robin on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:30 pm

HOUSEBOUND [Netflix]
At least I hope it's still streaming on Netflix. Funny, dark, twisted New Zealand number about a girl who must stay in her creepy family home, the home she tried so hard to escape, on house arrest. She has the little bracelet on her ankle and everything. It's a hoot, and anything else is a spoiler. 2014.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:58 am

For Halloween I was pretty tempted to watch Halloween (or the Rob Zombie reboot, which was better than most of his movies), but I ended up watching a random horror film, which seemed more like a cross between Misery and Mommy Dearest. Nothing supernatural, but nonetheless horrifying. It caught my attention because it was grouped in with my horror selections on Netflix, but had an astonishing four stars out of five, a full star or two better than your standard fare B horror movie.

The Harvest

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am

That was horrifying. The vaguely Lifetime Network vibe made it even more unsettling.
Last edited by christopher_robin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:54 pm

We had a great Netflix Halloween up on Washington Island. Hadn't seen this thread ahead of time, but we watched two of the movies listed, Creep and The Harvest, and really liked them both. Also:

Troll Hunter. It's been in my queue forever, finally bit the bullet. Big fun, much better than expected.

Stonehearst Asylum. Very Shutter Island-y. All-star cast (Michael Cane, Ben Kingsley, Kate Beckinsdale, Brendan Gleeson), but I'd never heard of it. Great for Halloween, but we might not have had the patience (ha!) for it otherwise.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. Iranian vampire flick. B&W, slow-moving, self-consciously stylish... perfect.

Hellraiser, which neither of us had seen. And neither of us needed to.

Rosemary's Baby, for about the tenth time. Best moment: us screaming in unison "Because it's the fucking Dakota?!" when the couple was talking about why they might want to take the apartment. I'd forgotten that Charles Grodin played the <<spoiler alert>> unexpectedly duplicitous Dr. Hill.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Seconding A GIRL WALKS HOME AT NIGHT. Very good. I understand a small town in California stands in for Iran. Netflix.

I'll add a mention for THE BABADOOK. Spooky. Wears its THE SHINING influences overtly, still scores. Netflix.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47 pm

christopher_robin wrote:I'll add a mention for THE BABADOOK. Spooky. Wears its THE SHINING influences overtly, still scores. Netflix.

I wish we'd saved that one for Halloween! We watched it this spring and loved it.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 pm

I liked THE BABADOOK too. And I loved TROLL HUNTER, though I almost quit watching because I thought it was another nauseating "found footage" movie. I'm glad I stuck with it.

If you haven't watched "Let the Right One In" you should do so. Awesome Swedish vampire flick. Teen angsty, but not in a Twilight sort of way. I watched this one because Stephen King recommended it. And he was right. There's an American remake "Let me In" but I'd skip it at least until you see the original. And make sure you watch it in Swedish. I bought a copy on Amazon, along with a Rubik's Cube.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 am

That's a good one, too. That pool scene. Wow.

Watched Stonehearst Asylum last night and enjoyed it, thanks for the tip. Kingsley vs. Caine. Good multi-layered characterizations. I appreciated that the just used the Poe as a jumping off point, as it was pretty clear what was going on (squirrel, anyone?)

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Found quite an odd one on Amazon Prime: THE BATTERY. Ostensibly a zombie apocalypse road trip movie, or something, it turns out to be a study of two characters and how their reactions differ. Interesting times we live in -- this one was made for $6,000 and obviously had no real distribution, or studio, or any of the business trappings we associate with making movies.

I can't really defend this as a film, but it's surprisingly professional and has some very potent moments.

Also, nothing goes the way you expect it to, which I'm always a fan of.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battery-Jeremy-Gardner/dp/B00D6BQ068

Edit -- the link above has a trailer, which I advise against watching. Go in cold. If you hate the first 15 minutes, just turn it off. No big loss.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:45 pm

"Fantasia 2000" on Netflix. Watched it today and really enjoyed this 1999 sequel to Disney's classic musical anthology film. Very much in the spirit of the original. The Al Hirschfeld-inspired segment set to "Rhapsody in Blue" is a highlight. As I understand it, "Fantasia 2000" was a pet project of Walt Disney nephew and longtime Disney executive Roy Disney, who is said to have championed the old Disney filmmaking ways amid then-CEO Michael Eisner's modernization efforts. I'm sure the story is more complicated than that, but at any rate, it's hard to imagine this getting released by modern-era Disney at any time other than the late 1990s, when the company was still riding its feature animation revival and perhaps could make room on the release schedule for a quirky personal project like this. I recommend watching on a home theater system with surround sound, if possible. The surround mix is lovely.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:58 am

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Return to “Movies”