Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I am proud to say I have never been to Sundance.

Back when there was a theater at Westgate that would show foreign and indie flicks, I used to watch them at Westgate. They were reasonably priced, too. I would occasionally see one at the Orpheum as well, but Westgate was the best experience back then. Free parking, and Rocky Rococo after the theater. Sundance put them out of business, sad to say. I haven't been to an foreign or indie movie since Westgate closed.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:I am proud to say I have never been to Sundance.

What an odd thing to be proud of, especially from someone who is apparently not ashamed to dine at Rocky Rococo's.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I haven't dined at Rocky Rococo's in many years, probably over a decade. I'm not ashamed. It was a Madison institution, and people I talked to who grew up in Madison many decades ago told me I wasn't a true Madisonian until I ate there. Thing is, it was the main eating establishment in the Westgate Mall. In the old days, they had a great baby furniture store in the mall, and at the time I had small children. Then there was the movie theater. There were actually some reasons to go to that mall. To be fair, I still go there for TJ Maxx or the vet at the mall. Baby store is gone. Theater is gone. License renewal place is gone.

In the old days, it was nice to be able to drive to the Westgate Mall, find a parking space easily, go to the cheap indie/foreign film place, and grab something at Rocky Rococo's on the way out. Cheap dinner and a movie. Compare that with the price of a foreign flick plus dinner at Sundance.

Maybe I'm too old for my foreign/indie flick habits. Ah, I remember the days when I lived on 13th St. in the Village in NYC, there was a foreign/indie movie house about block or so away. Saw lots of movies there. I think the first movie I saw with my wife was Bob Roberts at that theater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Roberts

That movie seems to have predicted Donald Trump, btw.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 pm

You're probably thinking of Cinema Village, on 12th St.

In the year or two before it closed I got hooked on the program of weekly revival films at Westgate. They would show some "classic" film from the 1960's, 70's or 80's at a reduced price (I'm thinking $5.00) plus a free small popcorn (which was plenty for me). I had a chance to discover, finally, the awesomeness of Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon and to be reminded of what was so great about the original Ghostbusters. It was easy to get there and back by bus -- being right next to the West Transfer Point meant no hassles about timing -- and my go-to dinner spot was Big Mike's Super Subs. Cheap, fast, portable, delicious. I haven't really had much reason to go to Westgate since the movie theater closed. I don't even know what went into that space, if anything.

I also generally avoid Sundance, though I did end up seeing two WFF films there this year. Price has probably been a big factor in that, along with inconvenient bus service and the marketing push that made it sound like having a $10 burger and fancy cocktail or craft beer before, after or during a movie was far more important than watching a movie. Sorry, but I'm always there for the movie and am not really interested in being surrounded by people who are there for the nachos or the guacamole. Popcorn I can handle -- it's the spice that tells you you're watching a Big Summer Movie and not some Ingmar Bergman flick. But challenging films and savory smells just don't mix, IMO. Plus I hate having to deal with people who confuse a theater with their living or dining room. So I go to Market Square, where everyone is just as much of a cheapskate as I am :D

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 16, 2017 9:43 pm

I wish the gangster from Tampopo were present — front row and center — at every Sundance showing.

( "Eat your snacks in the lobby, ShovelFace!" )

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 pm

I went there to see Bruce Campbell at the "My Name is Bruce" premier. That was fun.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 16, 2017 11:05 pm

While it's not #1, I've always liked Rocky's pizza and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Since I care about my weight, I don't have it often. But if that didn't matter, it would be a Thing I Could Eat Every Day ( see thread bearing that or similar name).

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 am

Market square = old people = lots of people coming and going for bathroom breaks.

Maybe they could have intermissions every 45 minutes. Customer service.

They also serve popcorn in the loudest substance ever known to mankind.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 am

I go to Market Square occasionally.

I'm not as young as I used to be, and I rarely see the first-run movies anymore. The last time my wife and I went to AMC, we were amazed by how luxurious the theater had gotten since our last visit. The thing is, usually when we see a movie we want to take some kids with us. The cost of tickets and popcorn for a first-run movie theater for parents and kids is rather expensive. OTOH, if we still want the old school movie theater experience, we can go to Market Square and watch older movies in old seats at old prices.

Also, Market Square will have more movies an entire family can enjoy. It's getting harder and harder to find movies, even at the video rental place, that everyone wants to watch. When we rent a video, there is always a kid or two who decides to watch something different streaming on a laptop.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am

I eat popcorn at Ingmar Bergman movies.

I don't care who knows it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 am

I want to make sure I'm remembering correctly. This thread began in May 2008 when someone complained about Sundance screening mainstream releases. Before then, did Sundance show indie/foreign fare exclusively?

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I want to make sure I'm remembering correctly. This thread began in May 2008 when someone complained about Sundance screening mainstream releases. Before then, did Sundance show indie/foreign fare exclusively?

I don't know, but they were advertised as the place to go for foreign and indie flicks. As if Westgate and the Orpheum theaters didn't already exist. What if basically did was take something Madisonians could do for a cheap price, and turn it into an expensive luxury. I am sure the seats and the atmosphere at Sundance are much nicer. Westgate was bare bones, and Orpheum could get really funky back in the day.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed May 17, 2017 8:11 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:You're probably thinking of Cinema Village, on 12th St

I can't remember the name of the place, but it was 13th street. I am 100% sure it was 13th St., since I lived on 13th street for several years and walked by the theater all the time. It was a quad cinema on 13th street between 5th and 6th Avenues. At the time I was on 13th between University and 5th, about a block away. A very, very long block, but a block away.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I want to make sure I'm remembering correctly. This thread began in May 2008 when someone complained about Sundance screening mainstream releases. Before then, did Sundance show indie/foreign fare exclusively?

That's what I've been s'ing my d h about this entire recent threadbump. From initial media coverage of Sundance 608's opening:

The initial lineup at Sundance 608 includes a drama about a man coping with his wife's Alzheimer's disease and a documentary about an international air-guitar competition. Can non-mainstream films with tiny marketing budgets develop large enough audiences to sustain Sundance and Westgate?

Paul Richardson, president and CEO of Sundance Cinemas, says the theater is dedicated to art, independent and foreign films, "not that we won't play a quality Hollywood movie, but it would have to be high quality."

It was never advertised as a Westgate replacement, and it's been showing mainstream movies from the jump. Remember when it screened that indie feminist narrative romp, Sex in the City 2?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am

Also wow, the stuff on pages one and two really doesn't age well for certain film-loving Forons.

Return to “Movies”