sundance on a sunday

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am

If by lifestyle he means watching a movie with no pepsi or car ads, quality projection and sound, and in comfortable seats, then he's right, it's totally about the lifestyle and not about the movies. Whatever terminology floats his boat. Being that he's a friend of yours, I'm sure he used the word "bourgeois" once or twice in his assessment as well.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 am

I have yet to enjoy a film at Sundance, but I feel very mixed about the multiplexing of independent film. On the one hand, its nice to see an indie in a state-of-the-art theater with good concessions and fancy drinks. On the other, I'm of the mind that indie films are the province of independent/arthouse/community theaters, usually nonprofit, with a programming committee that not only schedules recent raves, but classics, themed/director's series, midnight movies, and author series.

Something got lost when large theater chains and their business models took over something that used to be "independent" and turned it into a Starbucks. Its no wonder "lummoxes" are turning out in droves, and yuppie-tinged policies like reserved seating are the focus of this thread. Give me an old fashioned Art Deco theater with a red curtain and grainy prints that sells old school popcorn and local coffee where part of the ticket price goes back into the theater itself anyday...99% of the time they program better films and events than these McTheaters ever will.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 am

No such theater exists. The closest would be the orpheum, but their concessions suck hard, and it seems like the ticket costs go to pay for obnoxiously loud speakers blasting house music on weeknights or during sunday brunch.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:16 am

Sadly, but I'd still feel like a sellout pushing the turnstile at a place like Sundance...not sure if I'd enjoy it much either. I think I will go there only when its something I feel I need to see right away (e.g., SickO), otherwise its Netflix for me. I mean do you really need to run out and see "Waitress" at the multiplex on opening night? Certain films you have to see on the big screen, most indies not so much.

It would be better if it was downtown too, its very unsettling to have to drive to a mall to see a film. It feels weird, kind of like driving to a strip mall to go to a nice restaurant, but I guess I have to get used to that phenomenon!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 am

boston_jeff wrote: On the other, I'm of the mind that indie films are the province of independent/arthouse/community theaters, usually nonprofit, with a programming committee that not only schedules recent raves, but classics, themed/director's series, midnight movies, and author series.

non profit? whatever, lay off the crack pipe.

here's the deal, up until sundance, the only places to see indie or foreign films in madison 90 per cent of the time were joints with serious seating, projection, and sound problems. sundance solved all of the above, and hallelujah for it. now if they would just swap sicko over to westgate in return for once, we'd be all the fuck set.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:52 am

"now if they would just swap sicko over to westgate in return for once, we'd be all the fuck set."

Surely you jest.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:55 am

I agree, sicko doesn't need the quality treatment. It's a michael moore documentary. It's going to be hand held cameras following a chubby guy from flint around offering smarmy opinions on everything. Being uncomfortable in your seat should almost be mandatory.

And don't call me shirley.

JMH

Postby JMH » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:02 am

omegarobot wrote:To quote Randall from the movie Clerks (which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival): "This job would be great if it wasn't for all the fuckin' customers."

omegarobot wrote:I was just glad that something better had come to Madison, a taste of something that's not available to our area because 'big city' people think that redneck, backwater Wisconsinites could never appreciate something good.

I, for one, am glad to have a Sundance open here in Madison, and am very grateful for it and I'll praise it to keep it for people like me who also enjoy it.

I think with time, people who don't like Sundance or 'can't understand it' will just stop going, which will make it more pleasent for people like me and the others who understand their system, praise it's service, and just overall appreciate it. We'll be paying the (reasonable) service fee, sitting in the seat we picked (and not being picky that it's not good enough), and then going out in the lounge where I'll get to know the people I just saw the movie with.

Then afterwards, we'll all go up onto the rooftop bar and look down on everyone who just hates Sundance and everything it stands for, and be glad we're not one of them while we drink a glass of wine and enjoy one another's company.

Anyone who would write a post like this doesn't deserve to be quoting Randal Graves.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am

No crack here, they even have little nameplates on the theater chairs from donors. Not sure if Madison could support a theater like this, but it would be cool. If you think Sundance is part of some greater arts community with anything in mind other than profit, I invite you to peruse their jewelry catalog. And seeing a "Trapped in the Closet" midnight singalong, Kurosawa and Hitchcock retrospectives, non-major distributed indie films, author readings, etc. turns my crank a little more than watching "La Vie en Rose" in a reserved seat at a multiplex with a frappucinno...but thats just me.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:30 am

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:02 pm

That's a nicely balanced article. A key part of it is this:

Redford seemed to take these concerns to heart. At the May reception, a guest told him that everyone loved the place, but there was criticism over both cost and the reserved seating.

"Nothing's set in stone," Redford responded. "We need to find out what works, and change what doesn't."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Sundance-Hilldale

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:33 pm

A friend of mine went to the roof top bar and said they could only see the tops of the surrounding stores. Not so nice.

Does the Barrymore show films any more? (Haven't noticed any thing but concerts.) I harken back to the Eastwood!

Redford (and several other heads) will be getting an earful from me, about that stupid bench, inside the second (in six months) new bus shelter, directly across from Sundance. The outside is thick, etched glass. Fine. The inside has a piece of metal on a pedestal with two butt prints on it! (meaning enough room for two, thin, friendly people.) I had a sore shoulder the first day I sat there. There is nothing to lean back on! It is extreemly uncomfortable. There is only one opening, so on a hot day, there is all sun and no ventilation. It made me feel like I didn't want to go back there and spend any of my money at Hilldale.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:35 pm

huh? redford's gonna hear from you? about a bus shelter? eh. bruddah.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:38 pm

TAsunder wrote:If by lifestyle he means watching a movie with no pepsi or car ads, quality projection and sound, and in comfortable seats, then he's right, it's totally about the lifestyle and not about the movies. Whatever terminology floats his boat. Being that he's a friend of yours, I'm sure he used the word "bourgeois" once or twice in his assessment as well.

He might have; I kinda doubt it.

But he is a filmmaker. And the phrases 'corporate control over media' and 'only cosmetic support for local and independent filmmakers' did come up.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:41 pm

depinmad wrote:huh? redford's gonna hear from you? about a bus shelter? eh. bruddah.

Perhaps he didn't personally order that new shelter, but it's way different than any in the city. Those seats are so awful, I intend to go to some lengths to get that changed.

Return to “Movies”