sundance on a sunday

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Korrigan
Forum Addict

Re: sundance on a sunday

Postby Korrigan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:34 pm

depinmad wrote:took my wife to the movies as a mother's day afternoon getaway. we decided to see black book at sundance 608.
after the movie we were thinking of getting a drink at the upstairs bar, but when we got there, we kind of chickened out. it just gave off a price gouging vibe.
we then checked out the roof top bar which turns out to be rooftop seating but no actual bar.

That's odd--there was a bar on the roof when I was there for a fundraiser. It was between the top of the stairwell and the rooftop enclosure where the elevator access is (and I think the bathrooms)--it stretched between them, to the right of where the stairway door exits to the roof, when coming up the stairs. It was in a sort of recessed area that was enclosed on 3 sides and covered. It seemed to have all sorts of booze but snacks were not visible.

Maybe they have a sliding door to close it at non-peak times and protect it from the weather? I actually got a drink from it, so it was there....or was it?

Korrigan
Forum Addict

Postby Korrigan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:41 pm

bluethedog wrote:
omegarobot wrote:My biggest problem, though, was that of those four times, twice there were people sitting in my seat.

Myself and others have already pointed out this would happen - it's a problem with the whole reserved seating concept.

Sort of like in "The Glass Menagerie"!

omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:25 am

Myself and others have already pointed out this would happen - it's a problem with the whole reserved seating concept.

To quote Randall from the movie Clerks (which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival): "This job would be great if it wasn't for all the fuckin' customers."

The only problem with this situation isn't the concept, it's the people. If the concept were flawed, then this would be a problem on Sundance's end. Sundance sells the ticket with the seat you've been sold printed right on them. If people can't read this, or find the seat properly, there are ushers who are always in the hallway (or in the auditorium on the weekends) to help people to their seats or remove the people in the wrong spot. That's what they're there for. Sundance can't correct every person who just can't be courteous or thoughtful of other people's enjoyment. They can only correct problems as they arise and are made aware of them.

To blame this 'problem' on the reserved seating concept is very narrow minded. You're taking the blame off of the consumer and placing it on the company. There have been a few posts (including my own) trying to show Sundance that we can fuck with their system and show that we're in control, but we're the wrench in the works, not the other way around.

Let's stop fooling ourselves and blaming Sundance, let's just man up and admit we're the ones who choose to make the reserved seating amenity a 'problem'.

Push comes to shove, if you don't like where you're sitting, you've already paid for the ticket(s). Just go back to the box office real quick (2-4 minutes tops, about the time it takes to do a bathroom run) and switch your ticket(s) out. Everyone wins there.

omegarobot

Re: sundance on a sunday

Postby omegarobot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:35 am

Korrigan wrote:That's odd--there was a bar on the roof when I was there for a fundraiser. It was between the top of the stairwell and the rooftop enclosure where the elevator access is (and I think the bathrooms)--it stretched between them, to the right of where the stairway door exits to the roof, when coming up the stairs. It was in a sort of recessed area that was enclosed on 3 sides and covered. It seemed to have all sorts of booze but snacks were not visible.

Maybe they have a sliding door to close it at non-peak times and protect it from the weather? I actually got a drink from it, so it was there....or was it?

The rooftop bar is indeed located just to the left of the top of the staircase leading up to the third floor. It's open nightly, but depending on weather conditions, they will close it up to protect it from the elements.

There is only booze immediately available on the third floor, but there's a dumbwaiter in the back that links the kitchen on the second floor to it. Appetizers can be ordered from the third floor and brought up via dumbwaiter.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:02 am

How long have you've been working there, Omega?

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:03 am

omegarobot wrote:Push comes to shove, if you don't like where you're sitting, you've already paid for the ticket(s). Just go back to the box office real quick (2-4 minutes tops, about the time it takes to do a bathroom run) and switch your ticket(s) out. Everyone wins there.

Not gonna happen. You don't understand human behavior. And your suggestion that people should change seats AFTER the movie starts is just absurd.

added: It would be nice if you and Newman made one more movie together, for old times' sake. Get going on it though, he may not be around much longer.

omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 pm

bluethedog wrote:Not gonna happen. You don't understand human behavior. And your suggestion that people should change seats AFTER the movie starts is just absurd.

added: It would be nice if you and Newman made one more movie together, for old times' sake. Get going on it though, he may not be around much longer.

Making a movie with Newman would be awesome. But I was under the assumption that he had retired from making films. It's even more cute that (and I'm guessing this part) you think I'm Bobby Redford.

And no, I could never understand human behavior, nor would I want to. Because then I would be burdened with the understanding of people assuming that I meant after the movie has started when I actually meant before the movie started. When I compared it to a bathroom run, I was using 'driving with mom' logic ("okay, kids, before we start driving, does anyone have to go to the bathroom?"). Personally, I prefer to watch a movie and drink lightly during the film so bathroom runs are far and between.

Also, and I do believe I said this in a previous post, 15 minutes into the movie is the best time to switch seats to one you find more suitable, which is more than courteous for late comers to still come and claim their seats.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:30 pm

omegarobot wrote:Also, and I do believe I said this in a previous post, 15 minutes into the movie is the best time to switch seats to one you find more suitable, which is more than courteous for late comers to still come and claim their seats.

And this is the post I was referring to when I said your suggestion that people change seats AFTER the movie has started is absurd. Do you understand why? Because the movie has already started! Do you think there is nothing interesting going on in a movie 15 minutes into it? Even if you're willing to miss it while you are stumbling around looking for another seat, the people that you excuse yourself by will be PISSED.

This might be another problem caused by the reserved seating: people showing up late to the movie. Without reserved seats you need to show up on time and better yet very early to ensure you get good seats. If you have reserved seats you might be more likely to saunter in at the last minute and maybe not time it right and show up late - again, pissing people off. Just a theory but I'd be interested if anyone has noticed this at Sundance.

omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 pm

bluethedog wrote:And this is the post I was referring to when I said your suggestion that people change seats AFTER the movie has started is absurd. Do you understand why? Because the movie has already started! Do you think there is nothing interesting going on in a movie 15 minutes into it? Even if you're willing to miss it while you are stumbling around looking for another seat, the people that you excuse yourself by will be PISSED.

I apologize, I misunderstood the posts up to this point. I was under the impression that people were citing that the theater was almost empty and better seats were unoccupied. Also, I thought one said some annoying people (I believe the word lummoxes was used) were seated right next to them, making the feature harder to endure. Personally, why endure sitting next to people I don't like when I can move somewhere better? That's almost as bad as not telling management that the sound is bad, or the temperature is not preferable. People will endure horrible conditions just to complain about it later.

Seems like a kind of Catch-22 situation you've concocted. I can't sit in the seat I chose because some 'lummoxes' have chosen seats next to me and are harboring my movie experience. Yet I can't move because doing so would irk other movie goers.

habari
Forum Addict

Postby habari » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:30 am

Yep, here in sophisticated Madison, Wisconsin, when we go to the movies, we like our martinis cold, our hors d'oevres warm, and our theater managers esoterically indignant.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:51 am

omegarobot wrote:Seems like a kind of Catch-22 situation you've concocted.

Nope. If you have to move because of Lummoxes, you move. You don't wait until it's 15 minutes into the show, and you don't walk back out to the lobby and get your seats switched there. You look around, find empty seats, and move to them. Simple.

If it throws a wrench in the Sundance plan, too bad. The Sundance plan is flawed.

omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 am

I was just glad that something better had come to Madison, a taste of something that's not available to our area because 'big city' people think that redneck, backwater Wisconsinites could never appreciate something good.

I, for one, am glad to have a Sundance open here in Madison, and am very grateful for it and I'll praise it to keep it for people like me who also enjoy it.

I think with time, people who don't like Sundance or 'can't understand it' will just stop going, which will make it more pleasent for people like me and the others who understand their system, praise it's service, and just overall appreciate it. We'll be paying the (reasonable) service fee, sitting in the seat we picked (and not being picky that it's not good enough), and then going out in the lounge where I'll get to know the people I just saw the movie with.

Then afterwards, we'll all go up onto the rooftop bar and look down on everyone who just hates Sundance and everything it stands for, and be glad we're not one of them while we drink a glass of wine and enjoy one another's company.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:33 am

omegarobot wrote:Then afterwards, we'll all go up onto the rooftop bar and look down on everyone who just hates Sundance and everything it stands for, and be glad we're not one of them while we drink a glass of wine and enjoy one another's company.

Perfect summation of the Sundance "experience".

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:37 am

bluethedog wrote:
omegarobot wrote:Then afterwards, we'll all go up onto the rooftop bar and look down on everyone who just hates Sundance and everything it stands for, and be glad we're not one of them while we drink a glass of wine and enjoy one another's company.

Perfect summation of the Sundance "experience".

Indeed.

My friend Erik's take: "Sundance isn't about movies - or only tangentially about movies. It's about lifestyle. It's a place for 30/40-somethings with disposable income to go on dates."

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:45 am

"My friend Erik's take: "Sundance isn't about movies -or only tangentially about movies. It's about lifestyle. It's a place for 30/40-somethings with disposable income to go on dates."

...Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Return to “Movies”