sundance on a sunday

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:26 pm

rrnate wrote:Does anyone know if the Sundance Theater is going to show any midnight movies?

I asked and at this time Sundance does not currently have any plans to play midnight movies.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:53 pm

mrak wrote:
frozenCow wrote:Ok, I got the name wrong about the theater on Monona Ave (but I could have sworn the Orpheum had a predecessor somewhere, maybe State St). It was the Garrick Theater on Monona Ave, which was apparently remodeled and renamed the Madison Theater in 1936.

I'm almost certain you're right about Madison's first Orpheum being on Monona Ave.

Unless my memory is letting me down in unprecedented ways, the McVicar photo is in Zane Williams' rephotography book Double Take. I'll look it up in my copy.

Thanks! I just checked my copy of Double Take, and there on page 138 is the 1934 picture of the Garrick that I posted above. Quotes from the photo caption in the book:

"It had begun in 1911 as the first Orpheum Theatre, part of the national Orpheum vaudeville and theater circuit".

"After the 1927 completion of the "New Orpheum" (as it was known for a while) in the 200 block of State Street, the old Orpheum became the Garrick (still owned by the Orpheum circuit) and was home for a time to a serious Madison repertory company".

"Then in late 1936 it was remodeled into a movie theater, the Madison, and McVicar also photographed it".

"The theatrical house survived until 1957 when it was torn down for a new Penney's store on the corner".

Thanks again, mrak. I knew I saw that somewhere.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 am

I'd like to see Sundance 608 get The King Of Kong
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters opened on August 17th in limited release, and I have no idea where it's playing or if/when it will go wide and show up in theaters throughout the Midwest.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 am

saw sunshine there last thursday night, at it's final screening.
great movie, great theater.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am

I liked Sunshine, too. It's the only movie I've seen at Sundance. I'll definitely go back. Nice seats, great sound, good picture. The pre-show spiel from the usher is a little cheesy, but that only lasts a few seconds.

Star is still my default theater, but I look forward to more Sundance showings.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby bdog » Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 pm

bluethedog wrote:
omegarobot wrote:Also, and I do believe I said this in a previous post, 15 minutes into the movie is the best time to switch seats to one you find more suitable, which is more than courteous for late comers to still come and claim their seats.

And this is the post I was referring to when I said your suggestion that people change seats AFTER the movie has started is absurd. Do you understand why? Because the movie has already started! Do you think there is nothing interesting going on in a movie 15 minutes into it? Even if you're willing to miss it while you are stumbling around looking for another seat, the people that you excuse yourself by will be PISSED.

This might be another problem caused by the reserved seating: people showing up late to the movie. Without reserved seats you need to show up on time and better yet very early to ensure you get good seats. If you have reserved seats you might be more likely to saunter in at the last minute and maybe not time it right and show up late - again, pissing people off. Just a theory but I'd be interested if anyone has noticed this at Sundance.

Still don't like reserved seats...

Return to “Movies”