When did it become acceptable

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

When did it become acceptable

Postby msnflyer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:13 am

To talk during the entire set of the opening act? Was at the Barrymore for Robin Trower last night. The opening act was on stage, singing and playing guitar. The three guys behind me we chatting about TV, fishing, etc. Blabber blabber blabber. I shot them some looks, then asked them to quit talking. They did, for about 3 minutes. Noticed that there was a constant undercurrent of converstations going on throughout the theater during the opener.

Have we regressed to Concerts on the Square behavior indoors? Are we so saturated with entertainment 24/7 that the source is irrelevant and less important than our conversation? Or is the sense of self importance and entitlement so strong that we don't consider others around us and their ability to hear or enjoy a performance that they paid for?

If you want to talk, go somewhere conducive to conversation. A bar, restaurant, your living room, the sidewalk. The theater, while a performer is performing, is not the place for chatting. FWIW shut up during the trailers at the movies too.

No talking during the Trower set, volume set at 11.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: When did it become acceptable

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 am

I agree with you. But I think we have regressed to that point. I'm afraid we haven't hit the bottom yet.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am

msnflyer wrote:FWIW shut up during the trailers at the movies too.

Naw, talk all you want during the trailers to get it out of your system. But a fatwa on anyone talking during the feature presentation.

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am

People have been talking during the opening bands for years. Many years I ago I went to Lilith Fair (yeah, way back then) to see an opening band and there were people talking the entire time she was playing. It is worse when the main band is popular so the people who are there just to see them crowd up to the stage but ignore the opening bands completely.

And yeah, people can talk all they want during the trailers at movies as long as they're quiet during the movie.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:05 am

When I was a kid, back in the 50's and 60's, people at movies and on buses were quiet. By the time my kids graduated from HS adults were boors!

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:49 am

Bwis53 wrote:When I was a kid, back in the 50's and 60's, people at movies and on buses were quiet. By the time my kids graduated from HS adults were boors!

So, we're the problem, then?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:35 am

Well, I can remember Middleton's art deco theater and the uniformed ushers. If someone was being noisy, the usher would shine a big flashlight in your face and you'd be mortified. On Metro up til maybe the 80's or later, loud people on the bus were chastised in numerous ways. It's almost like there's a pervasive mental illness causing people to act out. I've come close to joining loud conversations. (After all everyone can hear them.) Now everyone pretends and acts like it's not happening. I once got so aggravated by a noisy bus crowd, that upon disembarking, I shouted,"Free at last!"

Teri_Caddell

Postby Teri_Caddell » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 am

I shot them some looks, then asked them to quit talking. They did, for about 3 minutes.

I feel bad for you. I would've done the same thing if I was in your situation. There are really people who don't respect other people in public places. Yeah, they should talk somewhere else if they don't want to enjoy a good show.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 am

It's been years since I've been forced to listen to conversations around me when at a concert. I do distinctly remember a Roger McGuinn solo concert. I can't remember if it was the Civic Center or Overture but I'll never forget the guy right behind us who sang along to every. blessed. song. LOUD. Loud enough to drown out Roger.

I've never had a concert spoiled so perfectly, and it was by someone who obviously loved the songs more than the singer.

Return to “The Arts”