Casting or mirroring to a TV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Casting or mirroring to a TV

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am

I have one tv with Spectrum cable, and one smart Samsung tv with no cable box that I would like to cast or mirror the Spectrum Live TV app to. Sounds like it should be fairly simple from reading about it, but I haven't gotten it to work. First, what is the difference between casting and mirroring? They sound the same to me.

I download the Spectrum app to my smart TV but have not been able to start it. Just get a spinning circle. Don't know if the problem is the app or my tv.

Then I tried casting my Samsung android phone to it. When I choose the mirror setting nothing shows up on my tv.

I downloaded several free apps for casting and mirroring. None of them connect to my tv.

Bought a google chromecast. I can cast youtube videos to my tv but no luck with Spectrum app.

I can run Spectrum live on my PC and connect it to my tv with an hdmi cable but would prefer using a phone so I can have it near me for easy control.

Do any of you cast Spectrum to your tv? If so how do you get it work?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Casting or mirroring to a TV

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 am

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... sn2VvXD620

Can't you call or chat with tech support?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

I read a couple of those links but still don't understand the diff between casting and mirroring. Call Spectrum support? I guess I could but they might just say buy a cable box for the tv.

OK I watched the video. Casting is showing a video or app from your phone on the tv. Only some content is castable, such as you tube. Once you start casting you can use your phone for other things and it won't affect the cast.

Mirroring is showing whatever is on your phone on the tv. You can't mirror something and use your phone for other things.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I got chromecast to mirror my smartphone. Shows up with a lot of black space on left and right, so not a good way to watch tv.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Turn your phone sideways. I just tried it. The phone desktop won't go landscape mode but any app that does, like chrome will.
Last edited by Dust Mite Rodeo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Does anyone know if this uses up minutes or data? I've read conflicting answers.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Not if both your phone and your CC are on wifi

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Right with chromecast you can only cast over wifi, I think.
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Turn your phone sideways. I just tried it. The phone desktop won't go landscape mode but any app that does, like chrome will.

Yes that worked.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 pm

I solved my problem with a work-around. I bought a refurbished Kindle 6 HD from Amazon, I found a good, cheap adapter elsewhere (Amazon's version is "unavailable") and an hdmi to hdmi cable. I just tested it out on an Ed Sheeran video and I'm thrilled! If I had it to do over again, I would search for a better TV or get a phone just for casting. Apparently You Tube is having some dispute that is causing some companies to not support it. Now I can watch what I damn well please any time I want on my comfy sofa.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:23 pm

What does the adapter do, or where does it go? What is the hdmi cable used for? To connect your Kindle to your tv? Then you can't be on your sofa.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 pm

The adapter goes into the Kindle's unique usb port. You need a male to male hdmi to connect the kindle to adapter to hdmi to tv hdmi. It is a wired connection. Kindle picks up wifi and transmits it to tv.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

Still seems like if the kindle is wired to your tv, it is not with you on your sofa for you to easily control what you are casting, right? Maybe you should just post some photos or diagrams.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am

An hdmi to hdmi cord can be bought in various lengths. I bought a ten foot cord.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 am

Only ten feet from your tv? Seems too close unless your tv is small. I'd suggest getting an amazon fire stick ($35 or less?) or Fire tv box (on sale for $55 now) and connect them to your tv. They come with a short hdmi cable and will need to be plugged into a power outlet.

Then you can cast from your Kindle to the Fire device and your tv wirelessly (supposedly) and can move your sofa further away, or at least get rid of the long hdmi cable on your floor and the adapter.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:19 pm

The new fire devices don't support You Tube. (I read that there is some kind of dispute between Google, Amazon and other companies.) When I was shopping for TVs, I noticed Chrome cast won't support You Tube on my Vizio. I even called Vizio about it. I have a small TV, so this works great for me.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”