WhatsaApp

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

WhatsaApp

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am

My cousin in Germany, emailed and asked me if I have WhatsaApp. I did a little research and read mixed reviews. In the mean time I got an email in my spam folder from Anna in the UK, asking me if I wanted to continue on WhatsaApp. I don't wanna fuck up my phone and computer.

Advice appreciated.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WhatsaApp

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm

I must be an idiot because I have no idea what the purpose of this app is.

Why would I need an app to send messages or make phone calls? Isn't that what my phone does already?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm

If you mean WhatsApp (only one a), it's legit. Owned by facebook (for better or worse), huge user base, end-to-end encryption. It shares some user data with facebook, but you can opt out, or partially opt out. <<< but, you know, user beware — privacy feels like a flimsy fiction these days no matter the platform

If you mean WhatsaApp, that sounds SUPER sketchy, like joining something called facebrook.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:33 pm

So nobody's going to take this opportunity to agree with me that I'm an idiot and explain why?
Cuz I still don't get it. :?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

OKAY, Prof.

Basically, if you're in the US and only talking to people in the US, you probably don't need it. But internationally, with varying data standards, software availability, and messaging costs, a unified messaging platform with an up-front cost (as opposed to per-message or per-character cost) is very very desirable.

Here's a long Reddit post from someone who sounds pretty on the ball.

EDIT: And here's a shorter one.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Some things have changed since those two posts — for starters, SMS charges aren't such an issue anymore. But WhatsApp got real popular real fast back when they were an issue. And the phone-number-as-ID is super simple.

I don't use it,but I can see the appeal of a single platform when group messaging among a mix of iOS and Android users, which is SO irritating.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I had been using WhatsApp since before Facebook bought it. It works well, and came in handy for communication with people I communicate with regularly. They have to install the app too, it's not one-sided -- you'd need to coordinate this if you're going to migrate entirely to WhatsApp.

After Facebook bought it I got concerned because I am very uncomfortable with Facebook's endless information collection. I hardly use FB at all for that reason, though I have a pseudonymous account so I can log in, look for organizations or businesses I'm interested in, and log back out.

I uninstalled WhatsApp when I found out FB owned it, but occasionally I still reinstall it, use it, and uninstall again. I figure that's one way to maybe-sorta slightly limit their prying into my life.

There are other encrypted message apps, for what it's worth.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”