OnStar

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

OnStar

Postby Shorty » Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Do any of you have OnStar for your car? It worked well in this case. But isn't controlling car speed remotely by OnStar a driving hazard? What if someone rear ended him? Or he failed to make it through a stop light or a train crossing in time?

Teen car thief thwarted by OnStar techs
http://www.channel3000.com/news/teen-ca ... /514742182

"The stolen car went out John Nolen Drive with OnStar providing police in real time with its location, according to the report. Officers attempted to pull the car over, but the driver didn't stop. Instead he entered the busy Beltline Highway headed west.

Back at OnStar, employees sent a message to the car using the company's stolen vehicle slowdown technology, police said. The driver was trying to accelerate, but the car was instead slowing down."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: OnStar

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Don't steal cars. Won't have a problem.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 30, 2017 12:35 pm

My anti-theft device is a stick shift.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 pm

My car has that farmy smell so I figure it's not high on the list of vehicles to take without permission.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed May 31, 2017 3:57 am

Henry Vilas wrote:My anti-theft device is a stick shift.

That's one of the main reasons I searched all over Wisconsin for a stick-shift when I bought my car a couple years ago. While a professional wouldn't be slowed down at all, it would probably confuse most joyriders from taking off with my baby.

Plus, when you drive a Mustang then you really should be driving it...and ya just don't get that with an automatic.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”