WannaCry ransomware

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

WannaCry ransomware

Postby Beaver » Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 am

Will it hit Madison?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/experts-try- ... soc_trk=ma

"Cybersecurity experts say the worm affects computers using Microsoft operating systems and takes advantage of a vulnerability in the software to spread the infection. "WannaCry" is particularly malicious because it takes just one person to click on an infected link or email attachment to cause the virus to spread to other machines on the same network.

Infected computers are frozen and display a big message in red informing users, "Oops, your files have been encrypted!" and demanding about $300 in online bitcoin payment. Victims have only hours to pay the ransom, which rises to $600 before the files are destroyed.

Money has been trickling in, according to a Twitter account monitoring bitcoin wallets linked to the attacks, with victims paying nearly $39,000 by Monday afternoon in Asia."

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WannaCry ransomware

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 pm

It only hits systems that haven't been installing regular security updates. Microsoft told us to stop using Windows XP.

The exploit it uses was known to the NSA who wanted to keep it secret so they can continue to exploit the computers of chosen intelligence targets.

I bet this will help motivate the Russian Govt to write their own operating system and stop using unlicensed copies of Windows.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WannaCry ransomware

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue May 16, 2017 9:52 am

I did get hit by some other ransom ware a few years back. I took my computer to an IT friend of mine who wiped it clean and re-installed the system.

A reminder to back up everything important.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”