Staying Warm?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Staying Warm?

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I just thought I'd try to have a little fun here...
What do you do to get warm and stay warm?
Kitty likes to sit on my lap.
My place is small, so an old pot of water, on low, during the day, makes a difference.
I keep brandy in the house at all times.
Leg warmers
Fleecewear
Exercycle
Oven cooked meals or biscuits
Housework

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Staying Warm?

Postby Beaver » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Hot tea or chocolate. Neck warmer I can heat up. Treadmill. Housework. Go outside and dress warmly. Go walk at West Town mall and wish it was doing better.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Mostly fleece. It was great when we had two cats, since they're furry heat-seeking missiles and they had two peoples.
Also have a gas fireplace in the family room that heats up the room, but is far from the thermostat so the furnace can still do its job in the rest of the house.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Don Julio añejo.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Ice fishing.

Then when you aren't, the rest of winter life seems much warmer by comparison. Works for me.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm

A bicycle trainer, situated near a window.
A three-liter Gummiwärmflasche (hot water bottle) — beneath the covers and oriented toward the cat's preferred sleep zone.
Hot cocoa with cinnamon and cayenne (spirits optional).

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Wool long underwear. Wool.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 am

Keep the house cool and wear several layers indoors. Add even more layers outdoors. No bike trainer or treadmill here, but half an hour of yoga and tai chi for the indoors exercise portion. Do some outdoor work every day in order to keep moving -- same idea as the person who likes ice fishing.

Winter is so much better than a summer heat wave. I'm just grateful it's not 90 and humid.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:Winter is so much better than a summer heat wave. I'm just grateful it's not 90 and humid.

We are very different in this regard. I love the long, sunny summer days with 14 hours of daylight. I like watching the birds, and fireflies blinking at dusk. I like shorts and sandals, outdoor festivals, and 85 degrees. I can't wait for it to come back.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 pm

there's some places with both -- like the south pole right now, for example . . . even warmer than madison on a few occasions recently . . . well maybe not the birds -- i think the penguins live closer to the water & cannot fly . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 pm

i recently saw open water on lakw waubesa but this was all i was able to find:
https://cleanlakesalliance.org/its-offi ... e-mendota/

the thing hasn't been open all winter, has it? or kegonsa?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:09 pm

According to my sources at the Limnology center, the lakes have frozen over and thawed several times this winter. To someone not paying close attention it could seem as though they were iced over all winter or never iced over at all, depending on when you looked.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Cadfael wrote:According to my sources at the Limnology center, the lakes have frozen over and thawed several times this winter. To someone not paying close attention it could seem as though they were iced over all winter or never iced over at all, depending on when you looked.

Interesting. If I recall, they record official "ice-on, ice-off" dates annually. And those tables show one close and one open date each year. I always used to believe that the lakes were completely frozen over between the two dates, but apparently that's not necessarily the case. No big deal, I just don't get a life-long notion corrected every day.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Well, maybe I should have pressed my sources before the fourth beer. They were pretty adamant that the lakes just weren't staying frozen this year. That's excepting certain places like Monona Bay and Turville Bay. It looked to me like both of them froze over and stayed that way. Although I watched some people ice fishing at Turville and personally I wouldn't be walking around on ice that made little puddles in my footprints.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Oh definitely, I saw for myself that Mendota was open shortly before the big cold snap in late January.

Return to “Catch All”