I finally upgraded my computer

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

I finally upgraded my computer

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 am

Power supply puked but I'd been meaning to buy a new PC for awhile. Easy enough to transfer important hard drive material to the new PC. 3.7 ghz, geforce rtx 2080... the refrigerator got jealous when I plugged it in. 27 inch easy-on-the-eyes monitor and even the mouse lights up like a Christmas tree, attracting a swarm of bugs in February.

This PC is so powerful that it can play any game at the highest resolution. It's 1000 times more powerful than the machinery that took us to the moon.

But despite the amazing technology sitting on my desk, a machine literally capable of making space travel seem possible, it could not make youmustbejoking seem even remotely intelligent.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I finally upgraded my computer

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:29 am

heh heh heh -- try out an early version of os/2 or better yet vms . . . c m s . . . tso/e . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:19 am

What model? How much? Where did you get it? Why didn't you post in tech thread?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 am

perhaps it was because the post also related to being able to understand or not another poster vis-à-vis current affairs . . . seems like a good place to put it . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Heaven forbid that one run afoul of the thread police. Andy might let him take that bullet out of his shirt pocket.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/WcvmCbC

Ok, there it is. I stuck a familiar item in front of it so you could see the size. It's a tank, but it's mostly empty. Look at all those fans, though! Five in the photo (two stacked at the back) and two more on the GPU.

I loaded up a few games and they all play at max resolution by default. Screenshot is Dark Souls 3.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am

g p u like people's commissariat of interior affairs?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 am

gozer wrote:g p u like people's commissariat of interior affairs?

A GPU is a video card. Graphics Processing Unicorn, I believe. For today's gamers, the GPU is typically the most expensive component in their PC. Best Buy sells this GPU for $850. It's a G-Force RTX 2080. And apparently it requires 10 fans to keep it cool. Unlike myself, where even 1000 fans could not make it cool.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 am

pjbogart wrote:
gozer wrote:g p u like people's commissariat of interior affairs?

A GPU is a video card. Graphics Processing Unicorn, I believe. For today's gamers, the GPU is typically the most expensive component in their PC. Best Buy sells this GPU for $850. It's a G-Force RTX 2080. And apparently it requires 10 fans to keep it cool. Unlike myself, where even 1000 fans could not make it cool.

how about cooling it with water like in a radiator -- they sell motherboards &c like that . . . this particular machine is connected to three monitors and it may or may not have a graphics processing unicorn but since it does have 16 physical processors to make 96 cores and it apparently makes enough heat to cook one a steak and eggs dinner . . .maybe some time soon they will make computers that use liquid sodium to cool the central processing unit and other items like in the core of a nuclear power plant . . .

Return to “Catch All”