february

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

february

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:45 pm

maybe 28 or more things to point out -- i will start:

1. in the early 1990s i met a saintly, quiet, unassuming individual by the name of james cameron in dubuque when i was with a bunch of people counter-demonstrating against the klan. we got along famously from the start and although i was familiar with the name as the founder of the milwaukee, madison, and anderson, indiana chapters of the n a a c p, over the succeeding months and years i learned much more and how remarkable the man was. he was the only known survivor of a lynching, in marion, indiana in 1930, worked with m l k and many others, and founded the black holocaust museum in milwaukee. he had every reason to be extremely angry and want vengeance and undertake full scale retaliation for everything he suffered, but he chose the path of education and reconciliation and love. no one could have blamed him for taking the path of rage and destruction, but he chose to change hearts and minds and lead by example. it blew my mind to find that such an extraordinary man with a singular life story walked the same streets as u and i and a lot of people didn't know . . . and in person he was so delightful. add this case to those of m l k, nelson mandela, and many others and it becomes apparent that the movements in question may be able to prevail by sheer moral force, though the road can be rocky at times.

2. as i started to learn philosophy as a primary and secondary school student and later, one of my favourite philosophers was w e b du bois; i read everything he had written and after naturalisation his organisation, the n a a c p, was the first i joined . . . his philosophy and policy pronouncements were so deep and wide that describing his contribution to not only civil and human rights but the social sciences and humanities in general is like trying to corral space itself . . .

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: february

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

One of the best lessons I've learned, is acceptance and forgiveness. It is so true that "resentment eats its own container". When I saw how this opened up my choices, it was hugely freeing. I think it should be taught in school. AA and Alanon and some religions teach it. This place needs more publicity:
https://internationalforgiveness.com/

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 am

one often hears of the big four, big five, or big six african american civil rights organisations especially with respect to the 1941-1973 phase of the movement . . . w e b du bois of the n a a c p has been mentioned, the others are:

3. a philip randolph was the leader of the brotherhood of sleeping car porters and maids and singlehandedly convinced president roosevelt to ban racial discrimination in the armed forces by means of executive order 8802 on 25. june 1941.
4. dr martin luther king jr's organisation was and is the southern christian leadership conference. the organisation is still in existence. charles steele jr is the current chairperson.
5. after a wave of sit-ins in the south, particularly in greensboro, north carolina and nashville, tennessee, ella baker convened a meeting on 16. april 1960 at shaw university which led to the establishment of the student non-violent co-ordinating committee, a major organisation dealing with voter registration and voter education. before this, statistics such as something like a few thousand african americans in all of the state of mississippi being registered to vote were the norm.
6. on 29. september 1910 ruth standish baldwin and a large number of others convened a meeting in new york city which founded the national league on the conditions among urban negroes, which merged with the committee for the improvement of industrial conditions among negroes in new york and the national league for the protection of coloured women to form the national urban league. they do many things and are still a major civil rights organisation today. marc haydel morial is the chairperson.
7. james l farmer amongst many others founded the congress of racial equality in chicago in 28. march 1942. the organisation continues today. roy innis is the chairperson.

the current chairperson of the n a a c p is leon w russell. the newspaper of the organisation continues to be the crisis and it and du bois have contributed much to the science, art, and skilled trade of journalism as it is currently done -- investigative, advocacy journalism and commentary in particular.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

8. carter g woodson, a historian and professor, founded black history week in 1926 as a week in february (lincoln was born on 12. february and frederick douglass on the 14th) and and a week in october; it is called that as the idea is history of the african diaspora. it became an entire month in 1970, and other countries observe it as well . . . three of the english-speaking countries (u s , canada, u k) as well as germany and the netherlands . . . i am aware of people who are working for it in portugal, spain, brazil, &c
9. kwanzaa was founded in the 1960s by professor maulana karenga

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:35 am

10. in conditions much like that, and in a feat that may be impossible soon save for j c because of global warming, matthew alexander henson was a member of the peary expedition to the north pole as well as six others and in all likelihood was the first to reach the pole, on 6. april 1909

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 am

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8
INCHES. WINDS COULD GUST AS HIGH AS 25 MPH.

* WHERE...PORTIONS OF EAST CENTRAL, SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST
WISCONSIN.

* WHEN...FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT. THE
HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS COULD IMPACT BOTH COMMUTES ON TUESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE
TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am

gusts to 25 mph/40 km/h? what a wimpy winter storm . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 pm

I think it would be less of a big deal if there wasn't an existing layer of ice over everything.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 pm

The Easy Way to Melt Ice You Never Knew About
https://www.rd.com/home/improvement/mel ... 8_fJRxXGdc

"This magical ice melter is easy to make, too. In a bucket, combine a half-gallon of hot water, about six drops of dish soap, and ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol. Once you pour the mixture onto your sidewalk or driveway, the snow and ice will begin to bubble up and melt. Just keep a shovel handy to scrape away any leftover pieces of ice.

Why does this simple combo work? Turns out, rubbing alcohol has a much lower freezing point than water (128°F below 0), so it speeds up the melting process and prevent the surface from icing up in the future, Rossen says. He also recommends pouring the mixture into a spray bottle and using it to thaw your car windows. By the way, this trick will defrost your windshield in less than one minute."

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 pm

gozer, please continue, I was enjoying your posts.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm

11. mary mc leod bethune was a legendary teacher who was a friend of the roosevelts and worked with a total of five adminsitrations on a number of integration and human rights issues. she founded the daytona normal and industrial school, which she and her husband started planning in 1904 and today is bethune-cookman university.

12. shirley chisholm also was an educator by profession and was the first black woman elected to congress and the first to run for president in the primaries of one of the major parties in 1972. unbought & unbossed was her autobiography as of 1970; in 2005 shortly after her death at the age of 80 years, the documentary film chisholm '72: unbought & unbossed came out. chisholm started out in elected office as a member of the new york general assembly from brooklyn (1964), bedford-stuyvesant to be specific, and it was 1968 that she was elected to congress and was re-elected in each of the subsequent elections until retiring from congress in 1982. she was nominated to be u s ambassador to jamaica in 1993 but withdrew for health reasons. she was posthumously given the presidential medal of freedom by president obama, on 24. november 2015.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 am

I thought the topic was February. Is gozer trying to say something else?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 am

BHM

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

Oh. But who is the Big Handsome Man here?

BHM
Big Handsome Man. A cute fat guy.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BHM

Return to “Catch All”