"Hello 9-11! I'm feeling spaced out!"

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

"Hello 9-11! I'm feeling spaced out!"

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... e=vicefbus

Kuipers revealed on Wednesday that in trying to make a call—by pressing 9 and then 011 for an international line—he missed a crucial number...

“The next day I received an email message: Did you call 911?” (said) Kuipers, a 60-year-old astronaut...

Astronauts on the ISS can place phone calls via a constellation of communication satellites and an IP phone that relies on internet protocol rather than a PTSN, or public switched telephone network. Using a form of “Space Skype,” they can easily dial Earth with a surprisingly clear connections...

npler
Forum Addict

Re: "Hello 9-11! I'm feeling spaced out!"

Postby npler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:57 am

jonnygothispen wrote:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kzvvnn/an-astronaut-accidentally-dialed-911-from-the-international-space-station?utm_source=vicefbus

Kuipers revealed on Wednesday that in trying to make a call--by pressing 9 and then 011 for an international line--he missed a crucial number...

"The next day I received an email message: Did you call 911?" (said) Kuipers, a 60-year-old astronaut...

Astronauts on the ISS can place phone calls via a constellation of communication satellites and an IP phone that relies on internet protocol rather than a PTSN, or public switched telephone network. Using a form of "Space Skype," they can easily dial Earth with a surprisingly clear connections...

This is my favorite 911 story since the one about the man who was fined for calling in because he was having a nicotine fit. Then there was the case in the early 1990s when a bunch of people called 911 because a bunch of helicopters were flying from one place to another and the callers thought that some kind of invasion was underway. Wonder who the invasion suspects were. Canada? Michigan? Illinois?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Hello 9-11! I'm feeling spaced out!"

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am

npler wrote:This is my favorite 911 story since the one about the man who was fined for calling in because he was having a nicotine fit. Then there was the case in the early 1990s when a bunch of people called 911 because a bunch of helicopters were flying from one place to another and the callers thought that some kind of invasion was underway. Wonder who the invasion suspects were. Canada? Michigan? Illinois?

Speaking of helicopters, I counted over 60 flying towards Truax field very late one foggy night.

Return to “Catch All”