Happy Holidays to all my friends here!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
npler
Forum Addict

Re: Happy Holidays to all my friends here!

Postby npler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:04 am

Cadfael wrote:It was a good Solstice Celebration at Olbrich last night. This year they kept the speechifyin' to a minimum, just a short "Thank you" at the beginning, then light the fire a little after sunset and dance around to the drummers. And this year I had more than my share of crap to transfer to paper and toss into the fire. Felt good. Very pagan. A little sorry that the MFD wants the fire to be shorter and smaller than everyone would like, but still a good way to celebrate the beginning of the longer days and throw out the stuff I don't want to take with me.

It was also kind of fun to watch the complaints on social media of all the people who saw the announcement about "fire starts at SUNSET, and sunset is about 4:30," then showed up at 6:30 and were extremely annoyed to find everything pretty much over.

When was the last time the sun set at 6:30? I think it was around the beginning of October.
The day being the shortest of the year is a big part of the reason for the ceremony, right?
In Nuuk, the capital of Greenland it comes at about 2:30. Other places it was something like the end of September.
Sunset, that is.

Return to “Catch All”