What do you do with a pencil when the eraser is gone?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

What do you do with a pencil when the eraser is gone?

Postby universitylad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:47 pm

What do you do with a pencil when the eraser is used up?
--Throw it away?
--Use a pencil topper eraser?
--Use a bar eraser?
--Other?

Any other pencil enthusiasts out there? Which are your favourite brands?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What do you do with a pencil when the eraser is gone?

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 pm

i use a bar eraser, but i wonder how many people out there break the pencil when this happens . . . . rather wasteful in my opinion, but i know there has to be people that do it . . . just because they can.

is there a reason that pencils given out to record golf scores have no eraser?

favourite brands are staedtler and faber-castell . . .

i have actually found the 2h or nº 3 pencils to be the best for most applications but one will want the other options for various other things . . . at our house we get boxes of all five faber castell hardnesses, generally at the same time, and notice only a small surplus in the nº 1 pencils which can disappear all at once when we give them to the kids to draw with -- they also catch on to the hardness different post haste and never go back to just using or expecting nº 2 . . . i seem to recall there being a set of 24 or 25 pencils going all the way from 12h to 12b years ago in austria; one can get a set going out to 8h/b or 9 or maybe 10 in a lot of art supply stores. faber-castell makes a popular nº 2⁵⁄₁₀ which is their medium pencil (1 is extra soft, 2 is soft, 3 is hard, 4 is extra hard) and have indeed seen all sorts of halves, thirds, quarters, eighths and tenths in my time from other manufacturers . . . it would take a spectrum from about 0¼ to 4¾ in quarter number increments to cover the 10h to f to hb to 10b scale from what i see . . .
Last edited by gozer on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:44 pm

does anyone remember/have they recently seen the bags of rejected pencils? 25 pencils for a buck. literally a grab bag of pencils of every hardness, manufacturer, colour, thickness, short ones, long ones, ones with no eraser or a misshapen one, missing the writing or it went on wrong, paint didn't go on right, and so forth?

i remember hearing about an accounting professor proctoring an exam, and as the students were filing into the auditorium, there was one person who did not like another and walked up to him, took a thick blue pencil from him, broke it in two, and the owner punched the pencil-breaker square in the face and called him a communist buttfucker . . . the professor was nonplussed and everybody was in their seats and the exams were being passed out before the proctor decided to ask a colleague what to do. "he had it coming -- three blows on each side try to break it up, 20 and call the cops . . ."

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:01 pm

I usually use up the graphite before the rubber. And some of the pencils I used in the past didn't have an eraser. A separate higher quality eraser was used for mistakes.

I don't use pencils much anymore. I still use a pencil to mark a piece of wood for the cut line where a eraser is moot - and crosswords puzzles are now done in ink.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 pm

I use a Pentel #.5 mechanical. I like using it for my dayrunner and grocery list. I've got all kinds of erasers all over the house because I draw. I like the toppers for plain pencils, art erasers for drawing and my Pentel has a proprietary insert.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 pm

. . . then there's that -- the zebra f-301 four-colour pen set comes with a mechanical pencil and i regularly carry the entire set with me . . .

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am

Eraser or not, I like to use a #4 pencil as a stylus for computers, phones, PDAs, calculators and other such devices. Being longer and thicker, it is usually better than the OEM-provided stylus. A #3 pencil would do in a pinch, but anything softer leaves marks.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am

Pencil lead has no lead. It is varying mixtures of graphite and clay, as I found out to my relief when I was accidentally jabbed with a #2 pencil when I was 8 years old or so.
They also call it plumbago. If you can see it in person or a documentary about how they make pencils, I recommend it. It is fascinating and probably has some surprises for most people, including the above.

Return to “Catch All”