Stocking stuffers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Stocking stuffers

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Want to show your coworkers, friends, or loved ones how much (or little) you care about them? Buy them a gun.

Company gives employees handguns, rifles, revolvers for Christmas
https://www.channel3000.com/news/compan ... /864091899

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stocking stuffers

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 pm

If someone bought me a gun, I'd accept. They're not cheap.
Also, this is in another thread.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:38 pm

the company makes glass products with bullets in them -- which explains why people were not offered daggers, machetes and the like . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:34 am

gargantua wrote:Also, this is in another thread.

Where? That "if everybody had a gun thread" dead horse? I stopped reading that once it got over 50 pages, which was long ago.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Beaver wrote:

Where? That "if everybody had a gun thread" dead horse? I stopped reading that once it got over 50 pages, which was long ago.

It's going pretty strong for a dead horse, gramps.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:31 pm

gargantua wrote:this is in another thread.

This comment has also been said in another thread.

Several different ones, in fact...

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:35 pm

gargantua wrote:
Beaver wrote:

It's going pretty strong for a dead horse, gramps.

I don't bother reading threads that go over about 10-20 pages: discussion killers in my opinion. It may explain why TDF has declined. Who wants to search through thousands of posts to see if anything has been written on a subject? Not me. Thanks for ignoring that tired old thread, and posting this in a new thread where it can get the attention it deserves.

Whatever they make, I won't be in the market for their products. What the world doesn't need is more guns.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Beaver wrote:

i gave the horse some adrenaline and atropine and a firm but gentle chest compression and it got right up . . . "if you are limping a bit do u want anyone walking around with a gun?" "naaaay!"

well, since the superstition about a thread being towards the top=activity and readership seems to be somewhat common it is harder to tell . . .

but this is about a societal trend of sorts rather than guns in general (everything from origins of regulation to technical things like muzzle velocity, cycle rate, what have u) it also deserved a new thread -- too . . .

but remember, the thread is also about a company that gave everyone a gun. i've heard the critique "yes, doesn't everyone in switzerland have a gun?" a distortion that compares apples to cheese -- but if the military-industrial complex was willing to mind its own business and bring troops home and use them build up home defence so that anyone invading the united states would be bogged down for 500 years and/or annihilated, then it may be worth revisiting . . . oh and it would necessarily involve radical decentralisation, which was apparently the original idea anyways . . . all the same goes for canada . . . except the per million likelihood of being shot by a lunatic as things stand now . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Well said, Donald. For some reason, gargantua seems to think not liking big, old threads is a sign of old age, and worthy of insults. He can be hard to understand.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Beaver wrote:Well said, Donald. For some reason, gargantua seems to think not liking big, old threads is a sign of old age, and worthy of insults. He can be hard to understand.

I referred to you as "gramps" because your attitude toward long threads struck me as curmudgeonly. It was directed at the apparent attitude, not you personally. I wouldn't hazard a guess about your actual age. And normally I wouldn't have said anything, but in the past you've scolded other Forons for starting a new thread about a subject in an existing thread. So now I'm confused. How long does a thread have to be to be exempt from your don't start a new thread if one already exists rule? I just want to stay out of trouble.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I don't mind if you guys decide to drop out of the conversation after the thread gets too long, but you are definitely missing stuff.

I know you don't care, but you both appear to be saying that nothing interesting is posted to a thread after it passes an arbitrarily set number of pages. I find that to not be the case.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:48 pm

correct -- people should read both, and i think they do -- i don't really believe that more than 3 per cent of forons skip really long threads: because there is a reason they got that long . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I go to active topics under the menu and read them all (or at least skim them). No big deal.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm

gargantua wrote:
Beaver wrote:Well said, Donald. For some reason, gargantua seems to think not liking big, old threads is a sign of old age, and worthy of insults. He can be hard to understand.

I referred to you as "gramps" because your attitude toward long threads struck me as curmudgeonly. It was directed at the apparent attitude, not you personally. I wouldn't hazard a guess about your actual age. And normally I wouldn't have said anything, but in the past you've scolded other Forons for starting a new thread about a subject in an existing thread.

which came first, the chicken or the egg -- didn't somebody crab at beaver for starting new threads at some point? for new topics. not in the abusive cut & paste way we saw earlier from others . . . i was thinking it was a counterpoint to whomever crabbed . . .

So now I'm confused. How long does a thread have to be to be exempt from your don't start a new thread if one already exists rule? I just want to stay out of trouble.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I do recall that someone crabbed at Beaver for starting new threads. Don't remember who, but it wasn't me.
On a related note, someone (wuz it u, gozer?) crabbed at him for resurrecting that one dude's threads (fflambeau?) all the time.
Clearly, the field of thread etiquette is strewn with land mines.

Return to “Catch All”