Veteran's Day

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Veteran's Day

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 am

Greetings to my fellow vets.

Last night's SNL had an interesting segment where wounded vet Dan Crenshaw appeared and accepted the apology from Pete Davidson for his remarks about his appearance after Crenshaw lost an eye in battle.

This is my favorite quote from that exchange:
With Veteran's Day on Monday, Crenshaw then encouraged people to say "never forget" to veterans, in lieu of "thank you for your service."

To me, thank you for your service is akin to saying thoughts and prayers after a mass shooting.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Veteran's Day

Postby jman111 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:To me, thank you for your service is akin to saying thoughts and prayers after a mass shooting.

I don't understand this. What about when people thank you for doing other things? Is it that you think they should be doing more than just thanking you (which seems to be the general criticism of thoughts and prayers responses)?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm

jman111 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:To me, thank you for your service is akin to saying thoughts and prayers after a mass shooting.

I don't understand this. What about when people thank you for doing other things? Is it that you think they should be doing more than just thanking you (which seems to be the general criticism of thoughts and prayers responses)?

Thanks. I was puzzled by this too.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Right after 9/11, I was walking through a store and saw a young person in army fatigues. It seemed very natural to thank them.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:49 pm

there are the usual entire range of people making career choices and so forth, but that men and women sign up voluntarily to defend their country and all of the people in it, even if the policies are patently absurd to them at the time and do so entirely is a sign of great altruism and all the more the case as veterans are treated so shabbily by the government . . . and the case for the regular armed forces on all sides, and i think that can be said for cases of compulsory service too in that folks are allowed to work at hospitals, offices, and the like if they religiously object, or they are too weak or ate up with arthritis or whatever. organisations like the s s and their equivalents in other countries and project coast in south africa are organised crime . . . the above doesn't apply to that kind of thing at all and was part of some of the trials after the second installment of hundred years' war ii . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm

jman111 wrote:

I served 50 years ago. I first heard the thank you for your service expression just a couple years ago. Too little, too late. Larry David's Curb your Enthusiasm had a great episode on that very topic.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Veterans Day

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Too little, too late.

But "Never forget" is timely and sufficient?

What if they thank you while handing you your free Veterans Day lunch? Any better? I guess I still don't understand. I appreciate any recognition offered for the relatively small sacrifices I made, especially from those who haven't served.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Never forget is a comment on war and it's consequences, as well as about those who served during conflict. As an anti-war veteran, I think it is a very fitting expression.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Veterans Day

Postby jman111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Never forget is a comment on war and it's consequences, as well as about those who served during conflict. As an anti-war veteran, I think it is a very fitting expression.

Well, that's one interpretation. Many have come to ridicule the expression after its absurd overuse following 9/11.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:27 pm

My grandfather served in WWI. Well, I'm not sure "served" is the right word. He was part of the South Dakota Guard, or whatever it was called back in those days. He didn't slog around in trenches in Europe, but had stateside "duty." He told me about one of his "missions," which involved traveling to one of the Hutterite colonies that had set up in eastern South Dakota. The Hutterites are a German-speaking Protestant group that are organized around communal farming, though I hear that recently they have gotten into the steel siding racket, too. They have high birth rates and they've gone in for modern hog farming lately, which means less work for all the men, which means the steel siding business is a hedge against Trump's war on agriculture.

The big concern 100 years ago was whether the Hutterites were sufficiently patriotic to the American cause "over there," which happened to be their homeland. So, my grandfather was ordered to "go show the Hutterites how to fly the American flag." And he said he followed orders right down to the letter. He showed them how to run the flag up the flagpole, making sure they knew they had to pull the ropes, put the flag on right, etc. He said his orders didn't specify that they had to actually fly the damn flag. He just had to "show them." He told me he couldn't have cared whether a bunch of farmers flew the flag.

After that nonsense order, my grandfather soured on the military life and turned, if not pacifistic, at least skeptical of war and the people who run it. He didn't care to be thanked for his service. He was embarrassed by it. He might have reacted more kindly to "Never Forget."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I think a lot of this comes from how poorly Vietnam veterans were treated. I read Larry Dossey's memoir about being a surgeon there. The first thing he and his buddy did, state side, was trash their uniforms. First they did their "patriotic duty", after which, not only were they not thanked, they got kicked in the ass for it.

Return to “Catch All”