The Back-up Beep

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

The Back-up Beep

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm

In this day and age of amazing technological advances, reverse cameras, motion detection and collision-avoiding braking features, the fucking back-up beep is seriously the best we can do?? Couldn't some of our brilliant millenials take a break from creating video games and make-my-easy-life-easier apps and take a shot at solving an actual problem?

As I write this I am treated to yet another 12 Hr concert of beeping from the street project a block over. Started in July and will go till November. Beeping starts at 7AM on the fucking dot, if not a few minutes earlier. A different street a block in the other direction is slated for next year so yay for another summer of beeps.

My experience with this has made me over-sensitive to the ubiquitous presence of the BUB in modern life. I even found myself glaring at a handicap cart-using person at Woodman's recently who was simply backing it away from its parking spot.

And no one is going to convince me that the BUB is even effective anymore. When that noise is all you're hearing all day long, you're not looking up every single time to see what's making it. It's fucking ridiculous and every insurance company big-wig who had a hand in forcing this on the world should have a BUB wired into their own ass.

Rant complete. Backing away now.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Back-up Beep

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 pm

People wearing ear buds and staring at their phone screens wouldn't notice backup beeps anyway.
We need backup flare guns.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 pm

A University employee lost her life a few years back when a beeping backing truck ran over her. I believe she may have had partial hearing loss prior, but I also know she worked in an area where there was a near-constant din of back-up beepers for as much as a decade.

Backup beepers give no feedback to the driver and, I expect, provide a false sense of safety. Actually observing where one is going — whether directly or via a wide-range camera — is a much safer approach. If you can't see where you're going, just don't.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:00 am

gargantua wrote:People wearing ear buds and staring at their phone screens wouldn't notice backup beeps anyway.

I think the piercing tone is designed to be heard through most obstructions, such as ear plugs many construction guys probably wear, hence our ability to hear them from blocks away. Or even a solid 1/2 mile away from across a quiet lake up north. Our experience when we got out of town a few weeks ago, partially to get away from the beeping.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
gargantua wrote:People wearing ear buds and staring at their phone screens wouldn't notice backup beeps anyway.

I think the piercing tone is designed to be heard through most obstructions, such as ear plugs many construction guys probably wear, hence our ability to hear them from blocks away. Or even a solid 1/2 mile away from across a quiet lake up north. Our experience when we got out of town a few weeks ago, partially to get away from the beeping.

While you are undoubtedly correct, it has just turned into background noise for me. It's probably true of overexposure to practically anything, so I don't really have a good answer.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:20 pm

narcoleptish wrote:In this day and age of amazing technological advances . . .

. . . And no one is going to convince me that the BUB is even effective anymore. When that noise is all you're hearing all day long, you're not looking up every single time to see what's making it. It's fucking ridiculous and every insurance company big-wig who had a hand in forcing this on the world should have a BUB wired into their own ass.

once i heard some kids having an insult contest and a personal favourite of mine was "your mother is so fat that she has to wear a beeper for when she is walking backwards . . ."

Return to “Catch All”