Adopting a Cat!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Adopting a Cat!

Postby penquin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 pm

I tried all kinds of different special kitty mats & tray-like things but ended up that a thick bathroom mat works the best.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 am

gargantua wrote:Reminds me of Bubbles on Trailer Park Boys on Netflix. He's all about the kitties. A good watch if you like really stupid stoner humor, with kitties.

A friend has giant puma tattoo that wraps around her back from her left shoulder down to her right thigh. Named Steve French, of course.

ichiban71

Postby ichiban71 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am

Bwis53 wrote:How do I keep kitty litter from being tracked all over the house? (I have hardwood floors.) The Easiology mats look good...

Amazon sells soft fold up cat and dog playpens that you can put the litterbox in if you have a little extra room. It gives the kitty extra privacy and the lip at the entrance retains most of the litter. When it comes time to empty the litterbox you can tip the playpen on it's side so all the litter gathers to one corner and vacuum up.

The playpens from EliteField are especially nice and run about 40 bucks for the small ones.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I solve the problem by using a wood-based kitty litter (Feline Pine) that's basically sawdust compressed into pellets that breakdown into sawdust when they get wet. The pellets are too big to track and the sawdust tracks a bit but isn't that noticeable (or gritty) compared to clay. Plus, to my nose at least, the pine keeps down the litter box smell (well, the wet part of it -- my kitties all failed their Burying Poop classes to various degrees so it's been easy to detect which business they were going about when I hear them scratching in their box, or on the wall next to the box in the case of my most clueless learner) and it's flushable (or, more precisely, I flush it and no one's complained about the sewer line backing up, yet). Since I never completely empty the box (just scoop out and flush the wet part and add more pellets as needed) I'm probably buying less of it as well -- maybe two bags a year for one cat? And my kitties have seemed to be fine with it as well, though you might want to take a week or two introduce Bubs to the different smell and texture.

Anyway, that's what has worked for me and my hardwood floors.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Does the Feline Pine clump? Does anyone have any tips about the light weight litter?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Feline Pine clump

Dibs on the band name!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Tonight I made hash and eggs. When I had scraped the bowl, I let Bubs lick it clean. Then I washed it. I wonder if allowing kitty to lick the bowl (as long as it's not bad for cats) is a bad habit? (She doesn't jump on the table or kitchen counter.)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Tonight I made hash and eggs. When I had scraped the bowl, I let Bubs lick it clean. Then I washed it. I wonder if allowing kitty to lick the bowl (as long as it's not bad for cats) is a bad habit? (She doesn't jump on the table or kitchen counter.)

As long as it's safe for a cat to eat, and you don't mind teaching it to expect to be able to lick the bowl whenever you have a bowl of something, I don't see any harm in it.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm

If you'd like to continue the not-jumping-on-the-table-or-counter thing, I'd suggest keeping kitty food completely separate from people food.

I say this from experience, as we couldn't even keep bagged bread on the counter with one of our cats around. He wasn't nimble, by any means, but he'd find a way to get up on that counter and chew right through the plastic to get at that fluffy, white goodness if we did. And forget about keeping any sort of non-locking butter dish out (you really don't want to know the specifics about the butter incident).

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Bubs is 12 years old and has a rear hip problem. My neighbor friend says she never jumped up on the counter or table. I thought about the habit idea. I won't give her anything bad for her. I didn't give her Talenti gelato because she would have gotten her head stuck in the jar and I don't know about caramel! Besides she has her own treats.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 am

Cats are often lactose intolerant, so I would avoid giving her any dairy products.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 pm

The cat box is about 11" high but sometimes Bubs pees over the edge. I'm afraid if a buy a new box, that's covered, with a swinging door, she will only walk in far enough so her butt is pointed out the door, without it closing. I'd like to get one of those plastic storage containers. Where is a good place to look?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Sounds like a Target or Shopko kind of thing.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Google really is a friend. I googled mainly for design ideas. Some people actually build custom litter boxes for this problem. I had a spare cat box, cut out the bottom and nested it on the box. And I still have the old entry way, when I take off the top, to pour out for cleaning. Problem solved!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Glad you found a solution, Bwis!

Our basement boxes are uncovered, but we got this Modkat Flip Box for upstairs. The top can be closed all the way, closed halfway, or completely open. And unlike with most covered boxes, you'll never get pee in the seam between the box and cover. We don't bother with the liner, which seems like it'd be a PITA... no need with World's Best Cat Litter, which is made of corn and never, EVER sticks to the bottom of the box. (And it's safely flushable.)

Return to “Catch All”