Adopting a Cat!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Adopting a Cat!

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 pm

This is a nice story. A lot of times outdoor cats have a couple "secondary" homes, so for an indoor cat to accept your offer of a second home seems totally natural to me.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Bubs isn't a big water drinker, so I'm going to get her one of those little fountains. I had a cat who would only drink from the master bathroom sink.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I got one of those little mini-fountains for my gato a couple years ago, but soon discovered that its much harder to maintain than just refreshing a bowl of water a couple times a day.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 am

I dream of having a little cat-height spigot and drain built into the dining room so the cats always have fresh water. Our boy cat just had a urethral blockage, so it'd have to be filtered somehow (mineral-y water is not kind to susceptible cats). Sounds complicated, and I have no idea what a constant tiny trickle would do to our water bill.

Until I realize that Crazy Cat Lady dream, we'll keep our stainless steel teardrop fountain. Refresh daily, dump and refill mid week, wash it on the weekend. It's really easy to clean, especially if you use filtered water to keep the lime scale down. You do have to take the motor apart and clean the components at least once a month... but it's quick enough that I do it almost every time.

I've also been considering a Thirsty Cat fountain. Not cheap, but some of the designs are fun, and I think The Cutes would prefer a falling stream to our current fountain's sluice design.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Rather than a constant trickle, I wonder if kitties would take to lixit valves as easily as pups do.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:46 pm

We didn't keep the master bath sink trickling 24/7. "Spot" would appear out of nowhere, when one of us went near that room, and very delicately lick at the drip. Since Bubs doesn't drink a lot and is prone to constipation (she gets 1/8 t. Miralax and wet cat food) I figure it's worth a gamble with bottled water and a fountain. I said one of these days I was gonna fall in love, and Bubs' soulful gaze got me. She's about ten years old so I wanna make it easy on her.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Today, Bubs quieted down after fifteen minutes. She likes the view at my patio, her cat box and dishes meet her approval. And I think she marked the whole place with her fur and spit. Maybe I won't need that Feliway after all.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Ducatista wrote:I've also been considering a Thirsty Cat fountain. Not cheap, but some of the designs are fun, and I think The Cutes would prefer a falling stream to our current fountain's sluice design.

We have tried a couple. I don't think they were that brand. Both of them succumbed to foreign particles in the water. Hard water definitely had something to do with it but here on the east side we also have teeny tiny solid particles that clog the aerators and water pumps. We replaced a water pump and fed it filtered water only but it still conked out again in less than six months. And the cat was bored with it in less time than that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Today, Bubs quieted down after fifteen minutes. She likes the view at my patio, her cat box and dishes meet her approval. And I think she marked the whole place with her fur and spit. Maybe I won't need that Feliway after all.

That's great, Bwis!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 pm

And she even baptized the cat box...

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Is Bubs wearing the old slippers, sitting on the old slippers, or no - not using it as a cat box?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Madsci wrote:Is Bubs wearing the old slippers, sitting on the old slippers, or no - not using it as a cat box?
No, one slipper is near her dishes, under the dining table. The other slipper is in the bedroom. Bubs definitely baptized the cat box. I'm thrilled she's thoroughly inspected the whole place and marked her territory with her fur and spit. I placed her in the catbox early on to get her scent in there.(and I used the same litter.) She likes to sit on the edge of the sofa and look out across the lawn and watch the wildlife outside. My neighbor used to tease me, when he saw we got along, and threaten to "will her to me." I'm in love!

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Bubs is one lucky kitty!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Madsci wrote:Bubs is one lucky kitty!

Reminds me of Bubbles on Trailer Park Boys on Netflix. He's all about the kitties. A good watch if you like really stupid stoner humor, with kitties.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 pm

How do I keep kitty litter from being tracked all over the house? (I have hardwood floors.) The Easiology mats look good...

Return to “Catch All”