Adopting a Cat!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Adopting a Cat!

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 pm

I thought a couple steps ahead. What if she walked in just so far (with a swing door box) and peed some outside the box anyways? I borrowed from other cat people's designs and created an easy clean system.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 am

Bwis53 wrote:Tonight I made hash and eggs. When I had scraped the bowl, I let Bubs lick it clean. Then I washed it. I wonder if allowing kitty to lick the bowl (as long as it's not bad for cats) is a bad habit? (She doesn't jump on the table or kitchen counter.)

that's what we do at our house -- leave the dishes on the counter for 45 minutes and go somewhere else and the cats and ferrets jump up there and lick them; some vegetable bits we give to the rabbits . . . even little bits of food shouldn't be wasted if it can be helped . . . larger helpings of food, especially left-overs a couple of days old go out back for the raccoons and opossums . . .

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Yeah, I let her lick something she didn't like and she looked at me like: you eat that?!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm

that is like the time that one of the cats lapped up some orange juice from a saucer in the sink, ostensibly thinking it was milk -- the look she gave us was like "but . . . why??"

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 pm

who here has a cat with receptionist experience?
excel . . . shorthand?

Stella365

Postby Stella365 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 am

I feel so bad for your neighbour, and I hope everything works out just fine with the sweet cat. Just give her some time, she will get used to the new environment.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:31 pm

My cat looks at me, as if everything I'm eating is better. I can't say that anything I open up for her tempts me.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Bubs needs a dental cleaning and maybe more dental, depending on what they find. After the quote I got today, I'm almost ready to surrender her to the Humane Society. Alternatives?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Get the cleaning, then decide. No matter what they tell you, doing nothing is an option after the cleaning.
I say this because I have experience with vets recommending unnecessary tests and procedures. And I know it for a fact because my regular vet told me after our cat was sick. She cured her with a simple, inexpensive antibiotic after an emergency service dinged us for several hundred dollars of unneeded tests and were trying to sell us more.
And a good friend's dog was going to die of cancer soon if he didn't let him amputate her leg for more than he could afford. That was 3 years ago. She's still alive, well, and still has her leg.
So I hope your feline companion is in the hands of someone you know and trust. Otherwise I'd get a second opinion. But a cleaning should be done in any event.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am

I vote for getting the cleaning and whatever else they need to do while she's under anesthesia. Consider the cat's comfort and welfare. If her teeth hurt, she'll soon start refusing to eat and that has serious implications. In addition, she's likely to be in pain, now or soon. Cats are very stoic as an evolved survival strategy, but that doesn't mean they aren't as miserable as a human would be with abscessed teeth.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 am

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:16 pm

I didn't think I could train an old cat to do new tricks. Mine knows she won't get food until she takes her medicine. Bubs jumps up on the sofa and waits for her meds.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:45 pm

I brought my barn cat into the basement today due to the cold weather. He will get to stay in a giant dog crate until it warms up a bit. It past years he was fine in the barn. His brother went missing a couple of years ago and lately he didn't seem to be handling the cold very well.

Return to “Catch All”