Adopting a Cat!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Adopting a Cat!

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:06 pm

My neighbor across the hall has been given six months to live. We both adore his female, ten year old cat. And cat adores us back. Today, we carried her, across the hall to my place, and kitty walked around and cried. My neighbor friend thinks if we do this several times, kitty will get used to it. Does anyone have any other suggestions for us? (I've already done lots of cat care with kitty and she gives me the most soulful gazes and kisses!)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Adopting a Cat!

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:56 pm

If it's across the hall, plan having both doors open and have food and/or something to play with clearly visible at your place. Then when she comes over, leave both doors open the first few times so she doesn't feel trapped or coerced.
Cats like to explore, but they're real homebodies so this will require a lot of patience, even though she already likes you.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:57 pm

My condolences for your neighbor's bad news.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Bring a blanket, towel, or rug from the neighbor's place. The best would be something that currently gets used by kitty. She'll appreciate things that smell like the safety and familiarity of home. You could set up a nice towel in her current favorite spot and bring that with her next time, if she uses it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am

Oof, I'm sorry about your neighbor, and glad you can adopt his kitty.

jman111 wrote:Bring a blanket, towel, or rug from the neighbor's place. The best would be something that currently gets used by kitty. She'll appreciate things that smell like the safety and familiarity of home. You could set up a nice towel in her current favorite spot and bring that with her next time, if she uses it.

I'd go the opposite direction, too... put towels/blankets/toys that smell like your place in a favorite spot or two in her current home.

You might want to get a Feliway diffuser or two for your place. Not all cats respond, but it's really helpful for some.

If she gets acclimated ahead of time this may not matter, but it's good to have a safe, secluded hiding place she can retreat to until she's ready to explore. We adopted The Cutes just a week after Monster died, so they moved into a completely unfamiliar house that smelled like another (absent) cat. They spent the entire first afternoon and night under the sofa. We left them alone and put food/water/cat grass/litter box right at the edge of the sofa so they could do the necessaries without coming too far out. The boy was the first to venture out the next day, and the girl followed about 8 hours later. They spent a day exploring a bit and then darting back to their fort, but after that they didn't need the safe zone anymore.

It helped that we agreed to take their giant, super-hideous cat tree... we put it near the sofa at first, then moved it upstairs once they had their bearings.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 pm

My barn cat loves my old raggedy sweaters. He would snuggle into my dirty sweater when I took it off while doing chores. Now he has a whole collection to nest it. I suggest placing an unwashed clothing item of your neighbors in your place.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Bwis53, it must give your neighbor great peace of mind to know that his beloved kitty will be well cared for, whether he departs in six days or six months or six years.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Yes, it was love at first sight. She started smoozing me right away. Kitty's current "owner" knows I will spoil her just like he does. I think she picked me!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

My neighbor got some new slippers, so I took his old ones to my place. I've got two Corelle bowls set out and I found a nice deep cat box, like kitty's old one.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 am

Your kindness and generosity is heartwarming. I hope the best for your neighbor, and I'm sure he's thankful to have you in his life.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 am

For your own convenience put the kitty litter box in front of your toilet. That way when you use the toilet, you have nothing better to do than clean hers.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, but when you're single and own a pet you tend to worry about what will happen to the pet if something happens to you. It's nice to have this one covered.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

pjbogart wrote:Sorry to hear about your neighbor, but when you're single and own a pet you tend to worry about what will happen to the pet if something happens to you. It's nice to have this one covered.

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm sure this is a huge relief for your neighbor. Even if he has other family, making arrangements for the care of his friend was probably one of his biggest worries.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:06 am

Yah, my friend told me to get a nice, deep cat box, under the bathroom sink, because "Bubs likes to dig to China!" Chewy.com delivered it this morning. Yay, Chewy!

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Happy cat. Happy Bwiss. Happy neighbor. Win, win, win! Congrats and much happiness to all involved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go cuddle my felines and remind 'em once again how luved they are...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Yay, Chewy!

I'll second that. The boycat needs prescription food, maybe for the rest of his life—and since HE's on it, SHE's on it (the food's fine for her to share). We'd go broke if not for Chewy.

I still shop at Mad Cat for everything I can, but Chewy is a great resource.

Return to “Catch All”