Jobs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Jobs

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:12 pm

I'd consider it if I was unmarried and about 5 years younger. I'm sure boredom would be an issue at times, but I wouldn't mind looking at the night sky there, and experiencing one of the few remaining places relatively unspoiled by humankind.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Shorty wrote:Here is a tough one. Trapped at the S Pole for 8 months.
REQUIRED:
- Linux/Unix operating systems. Configuring core services and network management.
- Writing systems shell scripts (Bash, Python,and/or Perl).
- Ability to take initiative (must be a self-starter).
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
."

the south pole runs on linux -- good for them; maybe the penguin being the mascot for linux helped?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm

I could handle 12 months in the tropics better than 12 months in cold storage.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Look for a Zika or Malaria research job.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:24 pm

I wonder if Ambassador to Tahiti is available. After all, Trump is having trouble filling vacancies.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:26 am

maybe the penguin being the mascot for linux helped?

Having a penguin always helps, no matter what.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Americans continue to quit their jobs in droves
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/amer ... 10503.html

"In September, 3.6 million people quit their jobs, just below the record high 3.65 million job quitters we saw in August. The overall quits rate for the private sector in September held at 2.4% for the third month in a row, matching a 17-year high.

Quits are seen a positive economic indicator, with the thinking being that folks won’t leave a job unless they are reasonably confident they could easily get another one. With the unemployment rate currently at 3.7% and the economy continuing to create in excess of 200,000 jobs per month, the headline data about the labor market suggests things are very good for American workers right now. The quits data add more depth to that assertion.
Looking below the headline quits numbers and the picture gets even better. And portends more wage growth.

...And if you track non-supervisory wage growth alongside the quits rate in the food services business, you get a pretty good sense of where wages are going — up. In October, average hourly earnings for all employees rose 3.1% and for non-supervisory workers wages rose 3.2% over last year. These were the highest readings since the spring of 2009, when wages were on the way down as the post-crisis recession deepened.

For years, economists have said that wage growth was the missing element of the post-crisis recovery. But now, wage growth appears to be here. The question then is, what’s next?"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Inflation. It's how the government and the rich take the money back.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 am

Local job market doesn't look so good to me based on these:

Now hiring in Southern Wisconsin. Recently posted employment opportunities for job seekers
https://madison.com/jobs/now-hiring-in- ... 3BEF2C94B1

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 am

i started to wonder about that . . . not from my own experience directly because I am self-employed and semi-retired, but other members of the household and the rest of the family and neighbours and associates have had results all over the map. one of them even scoffed and made a reference to the video game grand theft auto, enron and ashleymadison.com and plantation owners when mrs gozer asked her about all the job web sites that seem to have the scratch to advertise all over the place . . .

i was always curious about all this -- how do u narrow down a list of hundreds or thousands of people without doing something completely arbitrary or something totally unethical?

don't a lot of those places and some employers do comprehensive background investigations which involve financial history, even if the job has nothing to do with finance, and government benefits utilisation? ad extremis they can have someone (outsourced, as is de rigueur even now) go around the neighbourhood asking neighbours, landlords &c. how does that help figure out who makes a good researcher, electronic microscope operator, cyclotron operator, welder? the procedures for backgrounding and risk management for people who will handle money or controlled drugs are simple and time tested and any ways to fool them have peeled away with the application of various technologies. how all this affects people with oodles of student loans really isn't clear. or medicaid, or anything else.

maybe that is the way they got around being told by their legal departments that they cannot give or ask for references because the risk-benefit ratio in this litigious country had become unfavourable.

people upset about all that can be assured that the financial markets will eventually deal out retribution to the authors of the current situation. one has to wonder if this is a new nadir for the personnel field.

another thing that would help is the crumbling of globalisation one way or another, under its own weight and for other reasons. they cannot even put together nafta or the european union or mercosur without loads of problems . . . nothing in a human system is inevitable, and in the end that's what it is -- people keep mistreating people like this, and if they are cold and hungry or otherwise cannot get theirs they are going to take someone else's . . .

so many people seem to find, at least normatively, a lot of the current situation to be intolerable, but maybe they have history on their side. my wild somewhat educated (as far as can be the case) guess for conditions in november 2118 or 2218 is a somewhat more salubrious, much more inclusive, and physically easier version of the belle époque of 1871 to about 1914 - i was very pleased when i first heard that suggested. the fact that centalisation can proceed only so far is in one way due to human nature and that is a good thing. if one thinks that the oldest example of a centralised global organisation, the roman catholic church, is rotten through and through -- at least most of the people involved have a better estimate of the coming retribution after they leave this earth than today's financial and organisational "masters of the universe"

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:12 am

How Walmart has successfully recruited truck drivers amid a labor shortage crisis
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/walm ... 37062.html

"Drivers still must have at least 30 months of experience and meet other stringent requirements. "Safety is our priority. We are not going to adjust our minimum standards due to a tight labor market," Rosser said. Right now, close to 1,000 drivers remain in the hiring pipeline, including 200 who will attend hiring events in January and 400 referrals the company is evaluating.

A first-year driver can expect to make $86,000 driving for Walmart, or the equivalent of $0.87 per mile. The retailer also offers quarterly safe driving bonuses, benefits, and doesn't make its drivers load or unload freight. They can also accrue up to 21 paid days of vacation."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:16 pm

They have to. A driver shortage has been at near-crisis levels for years now.

Return to “Catch All”