Religion Forum on Isthmus?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
ampm13
Forum Addict
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby ampm13 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello,

I'm brand new to Isthmus and the Isthmus forum. I'm curious to know if there is a religion section on the forum. I didn't see one. If not, perhaps the admins would consider adding one? Thanks!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:29 pm

that is a very good idea . . . perhaps call it "religion, spirituality, faith, philosophy & ethics" to cover the broader issues . . .

ampm13
Forum Addict
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby ampm13 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm

gozer wrote:that is a very good idea . . . perhaps call it "religion, spirituality, faith, philosophy & ethics" to cover the broader issues . . .


:thumbup:

And add a challenge for all to be civil and respectful. :lol:

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8768
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. Too many atheists here. I'll keep mine private. I hate arguing with fundamentalists and atheists.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I wouldn't recommend it. Too many atheists here. I'll keep mine private. I hate arguing with fundamentalists and atheists.


which would be a good reason to expand the purview to include philosophy . . .

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5547
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby jman111 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

gozer wrote:that is a very good idea . . . perhaps call it "religion, spirituality, faith, philosophy & ethics" to cover the broader issues . . .

Or maybe "Religion and biking".

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5526
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Beaver » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 pm

What religion is the best one? There are so many it's hard to tell who I should be worshiping. Especially now that Billy Graham is gone, a leader of national importance...at least for Republicans.

The Rev. Billy Graham's Casket Will 'Lie In Honor' At The Capitol
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... he-capitol

"Throughout his career as a preacher, the Rev. Billy Graham's message of faith drew massive crowds of believers to tents, arenas and stadiums. Next week, mourners will have a final opportunity to turn out for Graham. His casket will lie in honor in the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, Feb. 28, and Thursday, March 1.

The public viewing for the internationally famous spiritual leader who is credited with changing the face of evangelical Christianity in America, was arranged by House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., and Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. Both Republican leaders will deliver remarks.

It is a rare privilege for civilians to be honored in this way, a distinction that usually is reserved for presidents or members of Congress, although they technically lie "in state." The practice changed in 1998 when Congress voted to recognize two Capitol Police officers who died in the line of duty."

ampm13
Forum Addict
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby ampm13 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I wouldn't recommend it. Too many atheists here. I'll keep mine private. I hate arguing with fundamentalists and atheists.


Does there have to be arguing? For all our advanced technology and self-proclaimed human advancements and achievements, it seems that we've become less and less tolerant of others who hold views different from our own.

Is it possible for people to hold strong personal views and opinions and still be cordial, civil and respectful to others? I believe so. I hold very strong opinions, but I like to think that I can at least hear what others have to say and treat them with respect.

All humans deserve respect (unless by one's actions one forfeits it) even if all worldviews don't.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 15769
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm

ampm13 wrote:Hello,

I'm brand new to Isthmus and the Isthmus forum. I'm curious to know if there is a religion section on the forum. I didn't see one. If not, perhaps the admins would consider adding one? Thanks!

We'll there is a lengthy "global warming" thread.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Beaver wrote:What religion is the best one? There are so many it's hard to tell who I should be worshiping. Especially now that Billy Graham is gone, a leader of national importance...at least for Republicans.
y."



the religion that one holds, or absence thereof, may very well be the best religion for that person . . . and all have much more in common than is commonly supposed . . ..

ampm13
Forum Addict
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby ampm13 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:17 pm

gozer wrote:
the religion that one holds, or absence thereof, may very well be the best religion for that person . . . and all have much more in common than is commonly supposed . . ..


Actually, the world's religions are alike in some ways on the surface (some not even that), but when one digs deeper they are vastly different.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27942
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 pm

They are all based on superstitious blind faith, logic and science be damned.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11179
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:They are all based on superstitious blind faith, logic and science be damned.

While I agree, I don't mind if people who feel otherwise want to talk about it here. It's not like we own the place.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27942
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Not much response since this thread was started, but what the heck. Maybe one on the existence of unicorns too.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7447
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Religion Forum on Isthmus?

Postby Roy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm

gargantua wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:They are all based on superstitious blind faith, logic and science be damned.

While I agree, I don't mind if people who feel otherwise want to talk about it here. It's not like we own the place.

While Henry is wrong, in my opinion, the thread doesn't get a lot of response because they fear exactly the kind of ad hominem response he has spewed above.


Return to “Catch All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests