Your favorite vehicle

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your favorite vehicle

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Just got back from Cuba and rode in a 1955 Ford Victoria taxi while in Havana. It looked like this, but was a convertible.

A frankencar, the V-8 was replaced with a diesel engine, as diesel fuel is much cheaper than gasoline on the island.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:05 am

The Jeep was my favorite but number 2, from a purely aesthetic point of view, was this one.

From when my cost-of-living was really low and I could afford a gas-guzzling weekend car. I had it at 100mph a couple times, like floating on a cloud. Fun car.

I would like this one:

But I would want it with faded paint and scratches, a real car, not a trailered piece of investment art. I don't "get" mint-condition collector car people. Guys who take them to shows and stand around with shammy in-hand in case someone dare lay a fingerprint on their baby.

Beautiful design shows through whether it's shined up to perfection or under a filthy tarp in a barn. Life ruins perfection and there's more to life than polishing chrome all day. Just my opinion.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 am

You'd like my cousin, Charlie Ping. He bought his first Mustang when he was about 13 years old. I remember walking by his bedroom when he was about 16: a mattress on the floor, a dresser and wall-to wall Mustang parts. Here he is in one of his cars...

He became so well known for his love of Mustangs while driving the actors to the sets of Jag that the Knight Rider producers hired him to buy the KITT Mustangs off of ebay and then set them up for better performance. Here he is giving a reporter a test ride in KITT: http://knightrideronline.com/news/2008/ ... h_kitt.php

It's kind of funny to see that the guy who dragged me diagonally across the living room carpet on my elbows in the 60s in this position now.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am

Ah! Here's the one I remember best. He bought it for $2,500 in 74 with some front end damage. I used to buckle myself in with the aircraft seatbelts and wish...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:07 am

It's not narco's Riviera, but my (brief) high school boyfriend's ride was this Buick.

The main thing I remember was how it had a button you pushed with your foot to change radio stations.

When you floored it, the speedometer went straight to 120 and stayed there. I doubt we were actually going 120, but still... as someone said earlier, this really was not a car you'd want your teenager driving. One time he took me out and did donuts on the ice with it to show off.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 pm

My first car was a 1966 Mercury station wagon. I'll never forget the time a gas station attendant (this was 1973) had to come and tell me that when he took off the gas cap, the gas tank fell to the ground.
They sure knew how to build 'em back then.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:46 pm

gargantua wrote:My first car was a 1966 Mercury station wagon. I'll never forget the time a gas station attendant (this was 1973) had to come and tell me that when he took off the gas cap, the gas tank fell to the ground.
They sure knew how to build 'em back then.

My 66' Stang had 2x4s for frame rails in back, lol!!! But ran like a top, and for $175 in 1985...

Kashka-Kat

Postby Kashka-Kat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 am

Mid-1980s blue Honda civic hatch (50 mpg highway- no exaggeration). Why cant I get that car anymore? It was the perfect car for we short people. The ginormous american cars made to fit ginormous americans dont work for me - I always get excruciating back pain from those. It could haul amazing amounts of cargo - including 8 foot lengths of lumber (put front passenger seat down and push it in right up to the windshield. And then drive slow so your lumber doesnt go through the windshield if you have to suddenly stop.)

When the transmission started to go, I knew it was time to look for a new (old) car and found a beautiful white 1993 honda civic hatch at Zimbrick with $500 off for trading in Old Blue. By then I was avoiding stopping at stop signs for fear I wouldnt be able to get it going again and it wouldnt go over 40 mph. So the day came when I drove Old Blue down to Zimbrick and left it parked on the street because I didnt know where they wanted me to bring it. They told me where, so I went back out but simply could not get that car to move - no way, no how. They had to tow it the remaining 200 feet. That old faithful car had taken me exactly as far as I needed to go, and no further. RIP Old Blue!

dooley
Forum Addict

Postby dooley » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 pm

The 1990 Ford Festiva my then girlfriend/now wife of 13 years and I drove all over Wyoming in 2001/2002 (she had it way before I met her). We moved back to Madison and drove it for awhile until it needed a new clutch. We found out that we could replace the clutch but we would also need to replace all of the brake lines and cables under the car which were rusted out and would cost a fortune. We gave it to Bart Starr's Boystown Ranch.

But that car was a champ. We once drove it in Yellowstone Park and had to pass a bison that towered over us as we raced by. Good times.

MadisonGT

Postby MadisonGT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 am

Still is the 2005 FordGT. This car is an amazing piece of design; it went from concept to production in under three years. At the time it came out it was chock full of novel design and a modified version has pulled over 270MPH in the standing mile.

Unfortunately my brother got one of the same year and color. Cannot have both of us with the same car in Madison so I’m applying for the new 2020 version. Lol. Only 350 are available for six thousand applicants but I’m hopeful. Yes I have to apply to spend mid 6-figures on a car. Only in America

My application video is at: https://YouTu.be/q0eY79z3TBM
It’s only 60 seconds long but the more visits and likes, the more likely it is that Madison will get one of these beautiful vehicles.
My brother is going to be taking his to all the shows this summer. I may join him with mine if I’m not working.

Share the application video with anyone who is a car enthusiast please.

Return to “Catch All”