Your favorite vehicle

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: Your favorite vehicle

Postby kissyfish » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 am

I had a 67 mustang convertible that I LOVED! when you got going fast enough on the highway, suddenly the ashtrays would self-empty! I am not a mechanic, and with little income at the time, I sold it.

I bought a 93 jeep wrangler for about 10k, that thing was so dependable! A bit chilly in the winter, when it got cold enough I had to scrape the inside of the winshield which sucked, but was never stuck in the snow, and pulled many out of the ditch in winter.

Had a couple of kids, bought a jeep cherokee, again for about 10k 12 years later. Again, few problems of huge concern, drove that for about 10 years.

Had another kid, bought a jeep commander (3 rows of seats if needed) can haul a bunch of people around. Mileage sucks, but I bus to work, and my wife stays home, so we dont drive too much. So far so good, and this one cost me 14k.

Come to think of it, I have gotten off pretty cheap car-wise so far. 34k for 24 years.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

It wasn't mine, but one of my favorites to drive was my future mother-in-law's 67 Mustang. That thing was fast, and probably not something you want to let a teenager drive.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 am

jonnygothispen wrote:Probably the 67 GTO I found in a driveway on the North side...

While not mine, one of my childhood faves was my brother's '67 GTO. 400ci w/ramrod 4 speed. That thing damn-near flew.

Dad's 1970 Olds 98 was a tank but would still pin you back in the seat if you punched it at highway speeds. I guess 455ci with a 4bbl carb will do that. You could practically watch the gas gauge drop as you drove. He called it the mafia staff car- giant whitewalls, fender skirts, 4-dr hardtop.

My personal fave was probably my '63 Ford Falcon. It was on its last legs by the time I got it in the 90s, but that thing still got looks and compliments everywhere it went. That old black paint was really something. Must have been put on about a quarter inch thick. Slow and steady inline 6, 3-on-the-tree trans.

I wish I had the means to own a nice classic now. Lots of good memories, though.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am

This was my first and only favorite car:

I was only a kid, and had a crush on Marcia Brady right around then too. Never got to drive one, and have never felt the same way about a car again.

AMC Pacers were built from 1975 to 1980 by American Motors. They were extremely innovative for that time having large wrap around glass, wide stance, 6" longer right hand door for easier back seat entry and the first American car with rack & pinion steering.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am

jman111 wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:Probably the 67 GTO I found in a driveway on the North side...

While not mine, one of my childhood faves was my brother's '67 GTO. 400ci w/ramrod 4 speed. That thing damn-near flew.

Dad's 1970 Olds 98 was a tank but would still pin you back in the seat if you punched it at highway speeds. I guess 455ci with a 4bbl carb will do that...

The "His/hers" Hurst shifter for the automatic. Mine had that too. I put a Muncie 4-speed in it about a year later.

My dad bought an new unwanted Olds Omega coupe that lingered on the lot all year with the 350 Rocket 4-BBL engine that I took my drivers test in on a snowy winter day. As hard as I tried, I couldn't successfully drive away from every stop sign w/o fishtailing. But the driver examiner lived across the street from us passed me anyway noting, "drives too fast."

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm

My Districts. The stock grey and orange is my favorite. The one-of-a-kind Art Crank version is a close second.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
mifflander wrote:Cad, I'm seriously jealous you had a Volvo 1800.

Me too. Always loved those.

Thank you. I didn't know the model when I bought it just because I liked the look. Then I found out what a dream it was to drive. I love subarus and there was even a TR4 later but that's the one I still think about.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 pm

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:42 pm

beer wagon.jpg
beer wagon.jpg (79.69 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Notice the barrel mounted between the seats.
In the 1990's they changed it to the model below when someone finally figured out they shouldn't be marketing drinking and driving to children. The original box art had the driver with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a frothy stein of suds.

cola wagon.jpg
cola wagon.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 891 times

I guess they couldn't get Coke or Pepsi to allow the use of their logo so had to settle for RC.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pm

jman111 wrote:

While not mine, one of my childhood faves was my brother's '67 GTO. 400ci w/ramrod 4 speed. That thing damn-near flew....
Maybe I blew it? The His/Hers shifter was for the 3-speed automatic, not a 4-speed, which would be a stick. But here's a picture of it. In the "his" drag race mode, you could ram the shifter as hard as you wanted to shift gears. In the "hers" mode, it worked normally.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Nope, more like this

with less rattling and squeaking.

And a LOT faster.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:27 pm

jman111 wrote:Nope, more like this...

with less rattling and squeaking.

And a LOT faster.

Yeah. I remember those. Mostly a drag strip only shifter. If he had that, he likely had other mods too. GTOs were torque monsters.

I'm not sure if I'm lucky to have grown up in the preinformation age when there was enough time to obsess with fast cars, and not enough cops to catch you drag racing, or if it ill-prepared me for a more disciplined world otherwise.

I'm totally happy with my Suzuki Swift now despite owning about 1/2 dozen muscle cars then.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Houses and cars. The best forum topics.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm

The nostalgic stable...
66 Mustang with V8 & a bench seat
67 GTO
67 Camaro
68 Camaro
68 RS Camaro w/4-speed, 12 bolt posi, hide-away headlights, fold down rear seat...
68 GTO
69 Buick GS 350 California Special

The 68 GTO was the fastest...

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:My Districts. The stock grey and orange is my favorite. The one-of-a-kind Art Crank version is a close second.

My favorite ride collects spider webs in our garage. Not pedaling my ass around Madison is the thing I miss most about living out on the farm.

Return to “Catch All”