Your favorite vehicle

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Your favorite vehicle

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Mine was a 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport. Just the most perfect all around utilitarian vehicle. Small enough to park easy and big enough to take four people and a dog camping. I still miss that thing,especially going into winter.

Two years ago I talked myself into getting another one but in my haste I bought a lemon. Totally my own fault but I considered just dropping it off in the former owners driveway with a note that said "here's your problem back".

But that first one never gave me any grief. I keep looking ads but they're only getting older and rustier. Maybe a no or low-rust Florida model?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your favorite vehicle

Postby Cadfael » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

White 1968 Volvo 1800S with an overdrive switch. Man that thing could zip. Good for long rides. Great gas mileage, really solid suspension. Nice interior. It was even a halfway decent snow car if it had the tires and weight in the trunk. It was an asset in dating rituals.

Got broadsided in Beloit by a guy who didn't see a stop sign. Couldn't fix the frame.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:53 am

Suburus, in general. I've owned three of them and with a set of snow tires these vehicles are absolute beasts in winter. I have two minor gripes with my current vehicle, a 2012 Suburu Legacy that replaced my 2004 Suburu Outback. I got used to the clearance on my Outback and have been irritated by the low ride of my Legacy. If you're going to make a snow car, make sure it sits high enough off the ground to take advantage of its amazing AWD. Secondly, and this may seem minor but it's actually pretty irritating; headlights should always be replaced through the hood of a car. In order to replace the headlights in my Legacy you need to remove the tire and go in through the wheel well to get at the low beams (the ones you need to replace most often). I'm sorry, but that's just piss-poor design.

But honestly, I've driven numerous AWD and 4WD cars and trucks and nothing handles quite like a Suburu in the white stuff. Invest in a set of Blizzak tires and four steelies and you're virtually unstoppable in the winter.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

A 1992 little red Acura Integra. We loved zipping around in that thing. Bought it new and kept it until 2013. Then I gave it to my brother, who drove it until about a month ago. On his work commute home, he glanced over his shoulder to make a lane change. Everyone else on the Beltline decided to stop. Bye-bye little red car.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 am

My 1992 Honda Civic. Never garaged, but it started at -26 one winter. Low clearance, but as long as the roads were somewhat plowed, it was pretty much a snowmobile. The hatchback entry was huge and one time I crammed a four drawer dresser back there.

Sold it to a neighbor and got my other favorite car, my 96 Geo Prizm (a Corolla with a different badge). Utterly, completely reliable for 18 years. I don't think anyone ever sat in the back seat -- I'm not much for passengers.

I decided to sell that one while it was still good, and went back to a hatchback. The newer ones don't hold anywhere near as much as the old Honda, sadly.

Sorry about your red Acura. That little guy had a nice long run.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am

If money was no object, I smile at the happy memories of my Camaros and Firebirds. And it was easy to zip out of the way of bad drivers.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am

1969 Mercury Montego. "Crazy 'bout a Mercury...I cruise it up and down the road." It was red. I installed an eight track with great speakers. I played Poco. My girlfriend loved it. She became my wife. We had a daughter. Thanks to the car and Poco.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 pm

I wish I had my 1985 VW Golf back. I bought it in '97 for weekend trips to visit my girlfriend after she graduated from our college and moved 188-190 miles away (did you know that as tires wear down, your car believes it travels farther than it actually does?). After college, now minus said girlfriend, it moved me out to Seattle. Aside from replacing the CV boots and a couple wheel bearings, had no problems, and the engine just purred and gave me an easy 35 mpg, but could really charge up the mountains and down the interstate on ramps.

One day, I walked down to the street where I'd parked the night before, and the car wasn't there. I swear I parked it here, wtf? Then I noticed a car with a lot of damage nearby, and a note on the windshield to contact the Seattle PD. Long story short, I learned that my car had been plowed by a cop car that lost control during a high speed chase, and was pushed off the street and into an apartment building. When I saw the car at the scrap yard, it was so grossly twisted up and crushed I knew it would never ride again, and I wept.

I bought a '92 Golf, but like narco I did it in haste, not seeing that the '92 version of the Golf was a shit box compared to the '85 version.

Now, I'm enamored with my Prius. Not really for any kind of driving satisfaction (though it's quiet and smooth and surprisingly solid with no clunks or rattles), but because I'm fascinated with the drive train technology and obsessed with the video-game like quest of improving my score (MPG).

*edited to add: The one thing I forgot to mention about my beloved Golf is that I was giddily anticipating watching the odometer roll 200k miles (bought it with about 160k I think) when it met its demise. Fell short by 232 miles. When my '82 Impala reached 100k, it actually re-reached zero because American car makers at the time didn't figure adding a sixth digit to track hundred thousands was worth it, since their cars were not designed to reach such lofty mileage totals. I think it lasted only 5 or 10k beyond that when it had to be scrapped.
Last edited by massimo on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

My favorite vintage type car was a 1972 Volvo 164.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_164

That was a cool car. Butterscotch leather interior, Blaupunkt radio, manual 4 speed with overdrive. But I bit off more than I could afford once it started needing repairs. $150 for a used alternator (just the part, before installation) in 1978 was to rich for me especially compared to how cheaply I could fix the old American jalopies I had previously driven.

Cad, I'm seriously jealous you had a Volvo 1800. I always wanted one of the hatchback versions of that car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_P1800

I guess I've always had a bit of a station wagon fetish considering how many I've owned over the years.
Which is why I truly love my current ride. A 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD. It weighs over 2 tons and gets lousy mileage but it will plow through snow like a warm knife through butter and will fly like a bat outta hell when needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Magnum

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Mine was a 1985 Nissan Sentra wagon 5-speed manual that I bought from a friend for $200. It had 110k and a new timing belt. I criss-crossed the country. I fit a whole small band's worth of gear (minus a drum set) including a bass player and we drove all over WI and no. IL.

It got 30mpg avg loaded or empty and the computer died in it at 190K. It was going to cost $600 for a new one because you can't find one in a junk yard. So I gave it to a friend who was willing to go for it. Can you put a cruise control on a manual tranny? Yup. I had a bass player at the time who was a factory authorized Nissan mechanic. Plus, he replaced a starter in about fifteen minutes at my house for the cost of the starter and a six pack of Heinekin. I miss that car. Bass player was pretty good, too.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 pm

I believe I had your Nissan's older sister for a while, an 81 Datsun wagon. Evidently it was previously owned by some sort of criminal, because after I bought it (private party) I gave it a good cleaning and found an 18" section of heavy-duty utility grounding cable, 1-1/12" diameter stranded copper wire, under the front seat. It would have been a nasty 1980s offensive weapon if the driver reached down there and surprised somebody with it.

Still, that was a halfway decent car once I returned it proper condition for civilian use. Unfortunately it was an automatic, which I cordially hate. I think I finally traded it in for my loveable Chevette.

As you can tell, I've never been much for high-end cars. I always figure they're gonna spend their night out on the street, and what kind of life is that? They can get demolished at any time by a police car, for instance.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 pm

massimo wrote:I bought a '92 Golf, but like narco I did it in haste, not seeing that the '92 version of the Golf was a shit box compared to the '85 version.

Looking back I cannot understand what I was thinking. I was just blinded by my love for that first Cherokee. I think I realized by nightfall what a mistake I had made. Owned it less than 2 months and sold it (luckily) for a quarter of what I paid. It's embarrassing to even type that. And I still want another one.

mifflander wrote:Cad, I'm seriously jealous you had a Volvo 1800.

Me too. Always loved those.

mifflander wrote:my current ride. A 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD

And have a weird fascination with those too.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 pm

snoqueen wrote:...I gave it a good cleaning and found an 18" section of heavy-duty utility grounding cable, 1-1/12" diameter stranded copper wire, under the front seat.

I'm not sure this is any sign of criminality. I knew the daughter of an electrician who had a similar device under her driver's seat for many years.

He figured it would be good for whacking somebody but wouldn't likely draw too much attention of any cop who may come across it under the seat.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

I had a Horizon with a stick and a Mitsubishi engine. Nice and zippy. I remember a bee flying in one day. I parked and lifted the hatch til he flew away. One night I parked at a meeting and I couldn't get the key out of the ignition or turn it off. Luckily a friend showed me the release button.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 am

Probably the 67 GTO I found in a driveway on the North side in 1981 while cruising around in a 69 Opel Rallye I bought in LaCrosse for $100. I left a note on the windshield and lo and behold, 6 months later they called. She asked me to "floor it!" down Wheeler Road by the golf course, so I could see how much power it had, but I was stoned and declined. $1,000. Well maintained.

Return to “Catch All”