Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 am

Epic is fighting their employee slavery all the way to the Supreme Court.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 81365.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Epic won. Workers lost.

The justices by a 5-4 vote Monday agreed with Trump administration lawyers on two key issues.

First, workers do not have a right to go to court to sue over alleged violations of federal workplace laws. They must accept industry-sponsored arbitration.

Second, the arbitration rules may require employees to bring their complaints as individuals and not as part any group or class.

About 60 million nonunionized workers in the private sector are covered by arbitration agreements that bar them going to court to sue over alleged violations of federal workplace laws...

Epic employees need to unionize.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm

Bad news.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/21/60501279 ... ium=social

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the four dissenters, called the majority opinion "egregiously wrong." She said the 1925 arbitration law came well before federal labor laws and should not cover these "arm-twisted," "take-it-or-leave it" provisions that employers are now insisting on.

She noted that workers' claims are usually small, and many workers fear retaliation. For these reasons, she said, relatively few workers avail themselves of the arbitration option. On the other hand, these problems are largely solved by a class-action suit brought in court on behalf of many employees.

The inevitable result of Monday's decision, she warned, will be huge underenforcement of federal and state laws designed to advance the well-being of vulnerable workers. It is up to Congress, she added, to correct the court's action."

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 pm

I wouldn't call Epic employees slaves. They do get wages higher than I ever made.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Madsci wrote:I wouldn't call Epic employees slaves. They do get wages higher than I ever made.

I know a few. They work extremely long hours, so if you divide their compensation by the number of hours they put in, it doesn't look so good.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu May 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Epic won. Workers lost.

The justices by a 5-4 vote Monday agreed with Trump administration lawyers on two key issues.

First, workers do not have a right to go to court to sue over alleged violations of federal workplace laws. They must accept industry-sponsored arbitration.

Second, the arbitration rules may require employees to bring their complaints as individuals and not as part any group or class.

About 60 million nonunionized workers in the private sector are covered by arbitration agreements that bar them going to court to sue over alleged violations of federal workplace laws...

Epic employees need to unionize.

are there any unions actively attempting to organise at epic?

i know the united food & commercial workers has an industrial organising strategy* and they include office workers and the like, and locally could use some more members these days; local 1444 are folks from a number of firms and woodman's amongst other workplaces, 538 used to be the factory at oscar mayer and has members at other places in the area especially in jefferson county at a couple of places . . . the s e i u has been busy around the country the last 10 years or more and also the united electrical, radio & machine workers (u e) -- all four have locals of public, private, and not-for-profit organisation office workers different places around north america as do the united auto workers, wobblies, o p e i u, communications workers of america† &c -- the aforementioned are quite assertive about organising‡ and it is about time, for a long time the a f l - c i o was in a bout of somnambulism§

on the state and local front, i remember when i went with a bunch of folks to show solidarity with the public employees during the protests in 2011 and spoke with a couple and their daughter, all of whom worked for the state for a long time and were rightly feeling terribly betrayed by the whole thing (they were not loafers, or bloodsuckers, or whatever those people inside the capitol got inside their head that public employees were, same as with all the other teachers, state and local employees and such that i know; they were folks i would readily hire myself . . . in part because their attitudes towards their work were wonderful . . . keeping high morale in the circumstances surely was a challenge at the places they worked too . . .)
. . . they said in effect that in the end walkerism and the current legislature's dirty work will not last for ever because, as the one who was a civics and history teacher told me, i was correct in asserting that it is an anomaly in terms of wisconsin history and that of the north central united states¶ with respect to the history of trade unionism and politics because it is not an intense form of thompsonism but something new: "even though walker may be from wisconsin the philosophy of his criminal gang in there is alien and inimical . . ." is the near verbatim quote . . . the daughter said that no lie can live for ever as well as quoting ephesians 6:12॥ in mentioning one union that even had their office staff in madison or maybe it was milwaukee¶ run by evildoer(s)﹌ at one point in the past and said "u know, who do they think cleans the building in there or runs the local drunk tank for them -- although they would privatise those too if they could; i cannot follow the logic . . ."

---
* i e more like the original c i o and a number of independent unions like the teamsters, united electrical workers (ue), wobblies (i w w), united gristle, spray-paint, cardboard & flammable liquids workers (s c f f b) and increasingly others as well like the s e i u, communications workers (c w a) which absorbed the i u e , the c i o union which replaced the u e when they were kicked out for alleged communist influences in september, 1949 (there were 13 unions they kicked out -- the u e and the longshoremens' union are the only ones still around today)
† come to think of it, they actually merged and are now the i u e - c w a -- actually go to the web site and, bob's your uncle, they ask u if u want to organise your workplace; a merger of two assertive unions with long and storied pasts and one which replaced an even feistier one as noted above, the u e
‡ particularly the u a w, which now even has a local, i think it is 990, which includes all sorts of people including freelance and independent journalists and other writers, other folks who would would fall under the purview of the g c i u, old i t u and such, as well as teachers, nurses, programmers, chemists, apothecaries, engineers . . .
§ some diagnosed them as downright comatose -- not even ambulating . . .
¶ plus ontario, manitoba, and saskatchewan, one of those in our group pointed out
॥ For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
﹌a quick consult with the peanut gallery members on site results in one vote for each "or maybe it was wausau ... " interestingly, the main office for unions isn't always organised by the union**, i am told; in fact it is sort of a sub-specialty of the u e, wobblies, s c f f b , et al
** "it is sort of like auto-fellatio or auto-cunnilingus, u know; i doubt it is actually part of one of the labour relations laws, but that is the philosophy, yes" -- s e i u member††
†† footnote recursion heh heh heh

this rant, rave and ramble was brought to u by the peanut gallery,
windows nt server 4.0 build 1381 sp6: it's still da bomb,
textpad text editor v 8.0, and . . . morphine: god's own medicine!
Last edited by gozer on Fri May 25, 2018 4:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm

This is next level shit. And maybe even the level above that. Where does one get his hands on some of this... "morphine" of which you speak?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 pm

I applied for a job with Robert Half consulting. To continue the application process I have to fill out legal forms they sent me regarding arbitration process to settle disputes, and a “consumer report” about me.

"NOTICE REGARDING ARBITRATION AGREEMENT
Please carefully review the enclosed Mutual Agreement to Arbitrate Claims (“Arbitration Agreement),
Arbitration Agreement Opt-Out Form (“Opt-Out Form”), and Arbitration Agreement Acknowledgment
Form (“Acknowledgment Form”). The Arbitration Agreement is voluntary. However, you will
automatically be deemed to have consented to the agreement, unless you submit the enclosed Opt-Out
Form. Therefore, it is important that you carefully read this notice and the enclosed documents.
All candidates must complete the enclosed Acknowledgment Form, which confirms that you
received these materials. Completing the Acknowledgment Form is a condition of your
employment with RHI (or any affiliate).

What is the Arbitration Agreement?
The agreement provides that you and RHI mutually agree to resolve specified disputes through
arbitration, rather than in court. By agreeing to resolve disputes through arbitration, you and RHI are
giving up the right to a court or jury trial on claims covered by the agreement.

Instructions for “Opting-Out” of the Agreement:
If you do not want the enclosed agreement to apply to you, then you must complete the enclosed
Opt-Out Form and email a signed copy to rhifsccompliance@rhi.com or fax to (925) 394-5315
within 30 calendar days.

If you do not submit an Opt-Out Form within 30 days, you will be required to resolve disputes that you
may have with RHI through arbitration (and vice versa), in accordance with the terms of the enclosed
Arbitration Agreement."

NOTICE AND AUTHORIZATION TO OBTAIN CONSUMER REPORT FOR EMPLOYMENT PURPOSES
"As a condition of employment or placement by Robert Half International (“RHI”), I acknowledge and
agree that RHI and/or its clients may obtain a “consumer report” about me at any time during my
employment with RHI or at the time I am being considered for placement by RHI for a temporary,
contract or permanent position with RHI or RHI’s clients. The results of any such consumer report
may include written, oral, or other information about my character, general reputation, personal
characteristics, creditworthiness and mode of living. In addition, a consumer report may include
such information obtained through personal interviews of past or present employers, business or
personal acquaintances, or others who may have knowledge concerning this information. I
understand that RHI and/or its clients will use the information contained in these consumer reports
as a factor in determining my eligibility for employment and, if I become an employee, in
determining my eligibility for placement, retention, and other employment purposes.
Because a consumer report which contains information obtained through personal interviews is
considered an “investigative consumer report,” I understand that, if such a report pertaining to me is
obtained, RHI will, upon my written request made within a reasonable period of time after my
receipt of this document, make a complete and accurate disclosure to me of the nature and scope of
the investigation requested."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Just imagine the vetting Robert Whole Consulting would put you through.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 pm

jesus christ . . . just what kind of operations does this robert plant consulting have as clients -- the mukhabarat? i realise -- as do the criminal personnel catbert types and managers -- that many people are up against the wall and don't have the same margin for manoeuvre, but if someone told me they were pulling a credit report on me for a position having nothing to do with money, spotless as it is, i would try very hard to keep from blowing up and just walk out of the interview . . . "got to draw the line somewhere, mr beria . . ."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:04 pm

It ain't over till it's over

Despite Supreme Court defeat, workers' lawsuit against Epic Systems is very much alive

Return to “Catch All”